“solid hotel for business travellers”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vienna, Austria
“solid hotel for business travellers”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Interesting details (the hotel used to be a bank), mostly business travellers, my room felt quite small (maybe because of the floor plan), internet didn't always work and when it did it was quite slow. Generally the hotel felt a little square e.g. the hallway felt slightly triste. Also, my room was quite loud as there was some noise from the street until early morning (so don't forget the earplugs). Very friendly staff

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Emma S, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Thank you for letting us know about the issues you encountered with the internet. I will ensure the IT look into this immediately.

I am sorry for the noise problem that you had. It is one of our biggest complaints, and unfortunately is the price we pay for being located downtown. On your next stay, we can offer you a room that is located on the back side of the hotel, farthest away from the street

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Rosemount, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I've stayed at The Westin Minneapolis on a few occasions, and only been let down once. Let me start with the good. The Westin is newly renovated hotel with modern furnishings in a historic building. The lobby is constructed out of an old bank (with fascinating wine vault) and shares space with a very large restaurant/lounge called the Bank. The actual hotel check-in desk is in the back corner - kind of tough to see as it is behind the lounge. On two of the three occasions, the staff was very accommodating of my needs and upgraded me to a larger rooms (suites) per the benefits of my SPG Gold member status. The rooms were huge, very clean, and very well appointed. I have been in some Westin bathrooms that had a standard Heavenly shower which is still nicer than most people have in their homes. However, at the Westin Minneapolis, the shower was simply to die for. Huge overhanging, multi-head water spout makes you want to loiter under it for a bit too long. The bed was, quite , Heavenly. On the two great stays I had at this property, the only thing left to be desired was the window view - the rooms looked straight out over the roof of an adjacent building. One of the other really great things about this property is the ultra fast elevators. Have you ever been stranded on your floor hostage to a couple of slow and full elevators on check out morning? I have. So I was pleasantly surprised by the number of elevators the Westin had, as well as their super fast speed. My elevator wait/trip was no longer than 60 seconds every time I needed to go to the lobby or to the room. That is awesome.

I did have one stay that was not as great as the others (December 2013). I am an SPG gold member, and per my gold benefits, I get a room upgrade if it is available. At the check-in I asked if a room upgrade was available and the staff informed me an upgrade was not available. I assumed they must have been full. No big deal, the king room I booked would be fine. However, he did then ask me if I wanted to pay for a room upgrade (I believe he called it a junior suite) at $60/night. I asked if the room upgrade came with with my Gold membership in which he indicated the Westin Minneapolis did not honor SPG membership upgrades - they had to be paid for. I told him I had been upgraded at this hotel on previous occasions, but all he offered was "I am sorry, we no longer honor SPG upgrades." Like I said, the room was still great, but it was the service on this occasion that rubbed me the wrong way. I did ask to see a manager, but the manager was unavailable at the time, and never call me in the room to address the situation. I am left to assume this property no longer upgrades SPG members even if upgradable rooms are available. This is quite disappointing given the amount of money I have shelled out at SPG properties to reach gold membership.

As far as amenities are concerned, this hotel has the best of the best. I have never used the spa, pool or fitness center, but they seem to get high remarks from other guests. The three best high end eateries in Minneapolis are within a couple of blocks - Murray's (steakhouse), Manny's (steakhouse), and Ocenaire (seafood - flown in fresh daily). In addition, you are within walking distance to the bar scene that litters 1st Ave & 5th St. The hot spots are The Pourhouse, Sneaky Pete's Cowboy Jacks and The Shout! House (dueling pianos). Going to a game? Target center and Target Field are just a few blocks from the hotel. The lightrail, a great transportation option is just one block away. It can quickly zip you to Taget Field, Metrodome location, TCF Bank stadium, University of MN, St. Paul the airport and Mall of America. The location of this hotel is absolutely unbeatable.

Parking is fairly convenient at this hotel. The do offer overnight valet service for about $25, or you can self park at a few ramps near the hotel that charge around $15/night. These prices are very reasonable in the city. Other higher end hotels can run upward of $25-$40/night for valet parking.

Room Tip: Request a higher room that looks out over Marquette Avenue. Lower rooms only have a view of the lob...
Green Features: They will offer a free drink or 250 SPG member points if you skip housekeeping.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jake B
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Super great location to concert at Target center our teen kids walked to and Murray's steakhouse for us! Very comfortable beds. Kids had a pullout that needed more bedding (we asked and got small tiny afghan) but other than that was a great stay

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank fargomama
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband I stayed here on May 30th-31st as we were attending Bill Maher at the theater two blocks over. We ended up having to get valet parking, because it was difficult to find parking otherwise. Check in was quick, and we were able to get to our room with ease.

Very clean room, so no complaints there. We ordered room service the following day, which I thought was decently priced. They messed up my order (gave me blueberry pancakes instead of regular, but I didn't have time to wait for them to bring new ones).

My only two issues:

Internet - For the amount per night this hotel charges, you'd think they could offer free wifi. No. At $15/24 hours, I think it's ridiculous. I know a lot of hotels are moving into charging for wifi, but it's still something many people use and want, and I respect hotels more who don't charge this fee, especially when they charge for everything else including water.

Valet - Valet is $40 a night, which is ridiculous, but understandable. I think my biggest problem with it is that at that rate, a gratuity for the drivers should be included within that fee. Many people, including myself do NOT carry cash and I felt bad when I could not tip our driver when he returned our car the following morning. For that large of a fee, they should be ensuring that the drivers are getting tips. Something I urge the manager to think about strongly, as it would improve the overall service and quality of the job for those drivers.

We would stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in 517, and it was quiet for the most part. Upon 6:30am however, people were very loud in...
Green Features: Excellent idea, and it's something I practice every time I stay.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Emma S, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am happy to hear you found the check in process quick and stress free and that your room met your expectations! Our pricing for valet and Wi-Fi is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that we offer good value given our central location. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet expectations, and for that I am truly sorry.
The room service troubles you encountered during your stay are not typical of the service we offer, and I regret that we were unable to bring you the correct order in time.

We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

It should be good. Its got a good building (an old Bank), a feature (the old vault with wine in it) and a manager who cares enough to shake hands with guests at reception. But it is cold. My room was cold, the food is careless, the lobby is too big and the rooms are bland. And you have to pay for bottled water. My last stay in March cemented 'average' at every level. Cold. Big. Bland. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear David J,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and will work to improve the items you highlight.
I apologize that your room was cold, If you had made us aware of this whilst you were staying with us then we could have found a solution!
On a more positive note, we are glad to know that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay, such as our historic building and the connectivity with management. We remain hopeful that you will give us another try as we would love to show you the improvements we are making every day.

WestinmplsGM
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Super convenient location, wonderful rooms, pool, great work out area, lobby activity is best in the city by far, athletes and pro teams stay here often, and the Bank is a great spot for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Location is really fantastic and great staff too. Tommy the bartender is a personal favorite.

Room Tip: High floor have decent views of downtown and two room suites are Very Very Nice
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank theJbird19
Emma S, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Tulsa, Ok
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Wonderful location, close to restaurants and shopping. Love the lobby bar area and how the "bank vibe" has been maintained. Great fitness center and pool. One complaint -- they charge a daily rate of $13 or $15 for wifi access. I travel a lot, and have never paid for wifi service, even at more budget oriented hotels.

• Stayed May 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments regarding our hotel and location! apologize that you encountered this delay. I appreciate the comments that you have shared as a business traveler and I will certainly address them the management team.

We hope to welcome you again soon!

Sincerely