“Perfect for a baseball weekend getaway”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oak Lawn, Illinois
“Perfect for a baseball weekend getaway”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel from Fri 6/20 thru Sun 6/22. I'm from Chicago & came to Minneapolis for some baseball. The front desk is really 2 podiums in the far corner but is not hard to find, the signage is clear with direction. I was quite particular about the room I wanted (floor location, foam pillows) plus I arrived around 2:45pm right before check-in. I was given no hassle & was happy to be accommodated. I waited about 30 min for my room but to me that was worth it. My room was #1107 (11 is the top floor), and I overlooked 6th Street. This room was away from the elevators/ice machine and I didn't hear any street noise at all... I'm even a light sleeper. My bathroom even had a window which was nice (w/ double layer blinds for privacy). Had to have engineering come to adjust the A/C but the response was quick & the room was comfortable. I had breakfast included in my stay, which is the buffet served in the lobby restaurant. By personal choice I opted to eat off the menu & was happy with the breakfast selection/service. One nice feature this hotel offers is a 3pm checkout on Sundays - I loved taking advantage of that since I had a later flight home. The hotel location is great, just a few blocks walk to Target Field. Nicollet Mall is closeby, as are good options for bars/restaurants (Ike's, Lyons Pub, Kieran's are a few). The TV/remote didn't work correctly but I honestly didn't use it until Sun afternoon - that issue was unresolved but I made sure to let the front desk know upon checkout. LOVED the rainshower in the bathroom! Comfortable Heavenly Bed made it feel like home (I own one). This was also my first stay as a new Starwood Preferred Guest member, so that was another great positive. Overall very happy with my stay at this property and I'd definitely return.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank keribo1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The westin is a wonderful property with a very good restaurant and excellent bar. The hotel rooms are decent size and most have a good view of something. You can often get rooms at a discount if you call the hotel directly. The street known as Nicollet Mall is just steps away--filled with shops, bars and restaurants. The Westin is also pretty quiet. I always try to stay here when in MSP. Bravo to Abraham who serves breakfast!

Room Tip: Majority of rooms are quite good
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank prontomac
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Nothing erases a day of traveling like checking into an amazing hotel with super modern amenities. The westin is know for its heavenly beds (and they are) but the Minneapolis Westin also has a spa-like bathroom with a full rain shower head, aromatherapy bath products and soothing decor. And let's not forget the super soft robes! Amazing service - from check in to room service.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DogLvr121
United States
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I had a pretty terrible stay at the Westin Minneapolis on June 5th. My original room was dirty, there were coffee stains on the credenza and stains on the carpet floor. I called the front desk and requested a clean room. I also requested workout gear which was brought up to my room as requested. Two weeks after leaving there is a $150 fee for "unreturned workout gear" on my credit card. The workout gear was left in the hotel room upon departure. You can imagine my frustration that the hotel doesn't have the capacity to check workout gear back in appropriately.

I spoke with Jeremy, the General manger and was told that "he would look into it." Considering the quality of other Westin Hotels, I can tell you that the service at Westin Minneapolis falls well short of Westin Standards. I'll be looking elsewhere upon my return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 266Jeremy
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear 266Jeremy,

I want to apologize for the inconveniences you went through at our hotel. Checking into a dirty room can leave a negative lasting impression that overshadows the rest of any trip. Rest assured that your comments have been passed onto the Hotel Management Staff to prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future.
As far as our Westin New Balance lending gear program goes, we are glad that you took advantage of this wonderful program. To be able to use our sneakers, shirt and shorts to make sure you don’t miss a workout is a great feature. Unfortunately, as the program clearly states, if the gear is not returned to the desk we expect that means you have decided to keep the equipment and there is a charge for that. In your case, we were unable to verify that the equipment was returned and therefore we did charge your account.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return.

Be well,
WestinmplsGM
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had higher expectations for this hotel for as high as the reviews were. It was nothing but average. The pros were the location ~ close to theaters etc, the parking garage was connected via skyway. The cons ~ check-in was tough since the desk was hard to find with little signage and then the desk is basically right in the midst of the busy bar/lounge. Very awkward at 5:30 pm dragging your luggage thought the business happy hour crowd. The room was nothing spectacular. Small in size, and although updated in the last 5 years, it still felt dated. The bathroom was okay with a shower only ~ the rain shower head was a nice touch as was the lighted mirror. Overall it was clean but not a place I would stay again or recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear RochHeather,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate the fact that you enjoyed our great location and connection to the skyway, many of our guests have the same positive comments.
We apologize that you did not easily find the front desk. As you know, we are located in a restored bank with a historic designation. In order to preserve the look of BANK restaurant we rely on human signage to personally direct guests to the desk.
We are taking your comments about our rooms into consideration with respect to an update although most comments we receive are very positive. The glass door shower is one of our great features of the hotel and we are thrilled you enjoyed the rain shower head.

We hope that you will give us another try and feel confident that you would enjoy your next experience.

Be well,
WestinmplsGM
Dunkerton, Iowa
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was looking for a nice, centrally located hotel in downtown Minneapolis which would allow pets. We have a small (17#) dog. I have stayed at the Marquette before and was pleased. However they wanted $50 per dog and would not accept one over 11#. The Westin allowed two dogs 40# or less.

They have valet parking which was very convenient ($39 for 24hrs with unlimited access). About par for a large city and much cheaper than Chicago. The room was very nice with a large King bed and excellent shower with a large head and excellent wand. We were on the 7th floor and my opinion is that this is where guests with pets stay. Given that we only heard one dog once and other than that it was very quiet.

The bar is centrally located in the middle of what was the bank lobby (this hotel was honed out of a former bank) and there is a wine cellar in the original safe. We did not eat there, but there is a full service restaurant for meals should one be inclined. The help was very nice and courteous and in general we had an excellent stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Emma S, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We are glad that you and your dog enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.

Emma S

Guest Relations Manager
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Interesting details (the hotel used to be a bank), mostly business travellers, my room felt quite small (maybe because of the floor plan), internet didn't always work and when it did it was quite slow. Generally the hotel felt a little square e.g. the hallway felt slightly triste. Also, my room was quite loud as there was some noise from the street until early morning (so don't forget the earplugs). Very friendly staff

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Thank you for letting us know about the issues you encountered with the internet. I will ensure the IT look into this immediately.

I am sorry for the noise problem that you had. It is one of our biggest complaints, and unfortunately is the price we pay for being located downtown. On your next stay, we can offer you a room that is located on the back side of the hotel, farthest away from the street

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!

Emma S