“Shocking!”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have never been to Westin before, but with big name - we expected better. By far, this is the worst ever hotel stay I have ever had. It was two of us, and spent just one night. Here's what we received:

- We found ONE bathing robe which was dirty (kindda hard to see, but there's blood stain or some other body fluid on the rob), the smell suggests it was worn by someone and never went to laundry after that.

- We were provided with in-room coffee which was expired in May 2014. (image provided)

- Hair dryer was all dusty and dirty in the bathroom. (image provided)

- We found the trash can even had some paper and chocolate wrapping in it.

- The refrigerator was smelling as if it was not cleaned in few months.

- The bedside wireless phone was out of battery and couldn't even use that.

I left a message with these six pointers in the front desk when we left and nobody followed up. The front desk lady (7/3/2014; 10.45AM) apologized for the expired coffee as I handed over the expired coffee pack to her and that's about it!

If you're looking forward to stay here, here's few tips:

- Parking is not free (and downtown parking can be a daunting experience, we did find a 2 block away parking and we had to spend $16 for our entire stay). I'd still suggest you use their valet service and save yourself some headache ($39 cost)

- If you're on a family vacation or a couple - avoid this place like a plague. As some other reviewer suggested, they will provide better service for corporate group who will spend a lot but if you're on a family vacation and dont want to spend a whole lot - avoid Westin Minneapolis

- Pool and hot tub are nice and conveniently located on the third floor

- The have workout room and they offer workout gear rental for $5 (which is nice)

- In room TV is awful, you'll basically have to order anything decent you might want to see (it's like free cable with some movie ordering option)

- I found them nice and courteous when they greet me

I'd probably never visit them again. We thought of checking out at 12 but we couldn't stand anymore so left early. Also, we were there just for the night - so we didn't bother calling them and fix all these issues rather we decided to left a note which was never responded.

From my work, we're making another Minneapolis trip in August, and I'll surely put Westin off of our preferred hotel list.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MoorheadHawk
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Moorhead Hawk,
Please let me begin by apologizing for the poor experience you had at our hotel. The issues you identify are far below our own standards and should never have happened. We will use your feedback to ensure we are paying much closer attention to the details. We do wish that you had brought these to our attention whilst you were on property so we would have had a chance to remedy them.

That being said, we are pleased that you enjoyed our nice and courteous staff, indoor swimming pool, hot tub, Westin Fitness Studio and Westin Gear Lending.

While I can certainly understand you being hesitant to return, I assure you that what you experienced were isolated incidents and not the typical experience we provide.

We hope to see you again,
WestinmplsGM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Some friends and I stayed at the Westin in June 2014. The hotel is located very close to the baseball stadium and there are lots of great restaurants and bars nearby. The metro train is just a block or so away and it goes straight to the airport. I took a cab from the airport, but next time I would just ride the metro train. The food was pretty good and the bar is ok, I would plan on trying out some of the local bars. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great hotel with a awesome staff! The rooms are clean, neat and nicely designed. The GM is a real gentleman who genuinely treats his guests as if they were staying at his own home. It was a awesome 3 days and i will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel was clean and quiet. We loved it and great location. The restaurant in the bank area was delicious. Also awesome service! I wish that the Internet had been included with tne room :-(
We parked across the street and just took the train to the mall of america. Fast and easy

Room Tip: Parking was $15 a night just across the street
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Molly H
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I attended a wedding this weekend and at first impressed but that has now dwindled due the inconvenience and having the smallest room on the floor. So if your room number ends in 07 or 09, you will get the same smallest rooms in each floor. Since I was supposedly in a wedding block, I think each party must have gotten those same rooms on each floor since my daughter also got the same size room. My son came with his significant other and when he arrived they had given up his room. He made them know he wasn't happy but at least they put him up in another hotel and then the two days after got the penthouse suites for the same price as the wedding block price, plus massage , plus 2 free breakfast. By the way, if you order the breakfast buffet, we paid $16.95 and you don't get custom omelets or pancakes. Just a couple of items to choose from. Cheaper to order off the menu. Using the skyway to walk to your parking lot space is closed on certain which were not posted thus we had to carry our luggage and walk down stairs and walk across the busy traffic. Our bill was also screwed up being charged two days for the $39 each day for valet parking. It cost us 6.00 per day without it. There were also other pending charges on our statement which I hoped will be cleared up soon. I would give them another chance some day, if they make up for it like they did my son. Another brother got a similar problem but wasn't treated as nice as my son.

Room Tip: The tips about room numbers and valet parking should help a lot of people.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear billp422,
We are disappointed to hear that we were not able to sustain the great first impression that we made with you through the entirety of your stay.
As a historic bank turned hotel, we have many different room configurations which many of our guest find interesting and endearing. The rooms which you mention are actually preferred by many of our frequent travelers.
We are sorry if we caused you inconveniences by locking our skyway entrances. We take security seriously here and limit access to our hotel for non-guests. Our staff is willing and able to direct you to available other routes if you choose to self-park.
Finally, we appreciate your review of your breakfast experience and will share your comments with our team to make sure we are providing value consistently on our popular breakfast buffet.

We look forward to your return and thank you for providing this valuable feedback.

Be well,
WestinmplsGM

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel from Fri 6/20 thru Sun 6/22. I'm from Chicago & came to Minneapolis for some baseball. The front desk is really 2 podiums in the far corner but is not hard to find, the signage is clear with direction. I was quite particular about the room I wanted (floor location, foam pillows) plus I arrived around 2:45pm right before check-in. I was given no hassle & was happy to be accommodated. I waited about 30 min for my room but to me that was worth it. My room was #1107 (11 is the top floor), and I overlooked 6th Street. This room was away from the elevators/ice machine and I didn't hear any street noise at all... I'm even a light sleeper. My bathroom even had a window which was nice (w/ double layer blinds for privacy). Had to have engineering come to adjust the A/C but the response was quick & the room was comfortable. I had breakfast included in my stay, which is the buffet served in the lobby restaurant. By personal choice I opted to eat off the menu & was happy with the breakfast selection/service. One nice feature this hotel offers is a 3pm checkout on Sundays - I loved taking advantage of that since I had a later flight home. The hotel location is great, just a few blocks walk to Target Field. Nicollet Mall is closeby, as are good options for bars/restaurants (Ike's, Lyons Pub, Kieran's are a few). The TV/remote didn't work correctly but I honestly didn't use it until Sun afternoon - that issue was unresolved but I made sure to let the front desk know upon checkout. LOVED the rainshower in the bathroom! Comfortable Heavenly Bed made it feel like home (I own one). This was also my first stay as a new Starwood Preferred Guest member, so that was another great positive. Overall very happy with my stay at this property and I'd definitely return.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank keribo1
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The westin is a wonderful property with a very good restaurant and excellent bar. The hotel rooms are decent size and most have a good view of something. You can often get rooms at a discount if you call the hotel directly. The street known as Nicollet Mall is just steps away--filled with shops, bars and restaurants. The Westin is also pretty quiet. I always try to stay here when in MSP. Bravo to Abraham who serves breakfast!

Room Tip: Majority of rooms are quite good
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family