“Overall Good Location with Nice Re-use of the Building”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 August 2014

When I lived in Minneapolis this was a bank, they have kept the very impressive bank lobby as the hotels lobby, bar and restaurant (vault is the wine cellar take a look). Check in is at the very back right corner 2 small desks that do not allow for enough staff at peak check in times expect a bit of a wait. Rooms are standard Westin clean well laid out and comfortable, bathroom is spacious but has limited counter space do to the form over function "furniture" sink installed. The shower made up for that big and with a nice rain show head. The Westin "Heavenly" bed was absent from my room probably was time for a refresh of the mattress or mattress topper still comfy just not the I never want to get out of this bed normally found at a Westin.

Internet was excellent (make sure you are a Starwood Preferred Guest member for free internet) I was able to work all day with no connection issues even on some of our data hog programs.

Room service small late night menu fast and efficient service not sure how a 14.00 sandwich and 10.00 bowl of suap added up to over40.00 but the bowl of soup could have feed a family of 4. Its room service I'm never shocked by the final bill.

Parking $39.00 for 24 hour with in and out privileges we didn't need the car the 1st day so parked in a nearby garage for $21.00 and then found a space on the street for Sat. night for free. (Read the signs don't get a ticket or towed)

Our only real disappoint was not being able to have a cocktail in the bar as the space was rented out for a wedding................ Its a great space and it looked like the wedding party was having a great time, so guess me not being able to get a drink was ok.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,129)

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Shocking to check in and find the primary public area which is the prominent and only restaurant and bar closed for a wedding. Coincidentally, we came for a wedding celebration and the bride chose this hotel for her guests to stay at. Unfortunately there was no ability to connect with the other guests or enjoy the bar prior or after the celebration held elsewhere. If there were multiple restaurants or especially another bar it would be acceptable. This hotel is a repurposed bank and the restaurant IS the public space so it is unconscionable to deny guests the only public area of the hotel except the business center. We're big Westin fans but now know that their policies in this area are contrary to a fine hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sylvia P
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Sylvia P,
We appreciate you choosing to stay with us this past weekend. As you point out in your review, we did have a private event in BANK Restaurant this past Saturday evening. Although not something we do often, on occasion we will sell the restaurant to a group who wish to utilize our beautiful setting for an event. I would just like to point out that this was communicated to you in our weekend welcome letter, we did ensure that we were providing cocktail and dinner service in our lobby area which is located directly behind BANK. Many of our guests chose to utilize this service this weekend. Additionally, we serviced our full In Room Dining menu throughout the weekend. Also in the welcome letter were some suggestions from our staff of other local eateries and bars as we know that our weekend customers are typically looking for differing food and beverage options.

We do apologize that BANK being utilized for a private event negatively impacted your experience and hope you will again choose our hotel for a future visit to downtown Minneapolis.

Be well,
WestinmplsGM

Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary in downtown Mpls. like we do every year. We cannot afford the standard prices of hotels here so we try to find a deal on priceline. When our bid was excepted and saw that we were staying at The Westin I did a little dance, as I knew this was a top of line beautiful hotel. Now we only stayed one night and that was on a Sunday, which is a non busy day with most hotels. While checking in at the front desk I asked the gentleman if we could have a king size bed. He replied "certainly, and I've upgraded you to an executive suite" I was impressed he gave us an upgrade, especially when I only paid $55 for the night! Exceptional customer service all around. Our room was beautiful, the bed was comfortable and the shower was amazing. We were greeted by 3 gentleman while checking out and was asked about our stay. I told them our stay exceeded my expectations and everything was perfect. One of the men (manager I'm assuming) handed me his card and said that the next time we decided to stay in Mpls. to email him ahead of time and he'll see what he can do with getting us an exception room and an exception price. Wow - I love this place :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Crystal L
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

One of the best locations in the city, the Westin is walking distance to legendary First Avenue need night club, Target Center and Target Field, light rail, green bikes to scamper around the Mississippi River and all the other great spots in Minneapolis. If you haven't been to MPLS for awhile, you will be pleasantly surprised by the increase in public transportation! It's pretty easy to get to a lot of big attractions from The Westin without your car.
We had a handicapped room and the our needs were met with bars in the shower, but it is not a roll in, you have to step about 18". Room 1026, I think. No view at all, we looked into a skyscraper with one way windows. No continental breakfast, but "Bank" is a good restaurant in the lobby and Starbucks coffee in the room and a Bruggers Bagel Bakery across the street. They have "Bellboys" who help you in and out and get you a cab and have snappy uniforms.
The decor is modern, clean sharp lines. The lightning fixtures were interesting and vintage. Not a super kid friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel from the check in point. We were greeted with a warm friendly front desk person, Michael. He upgraded our room due to our length of stay. Whenever we passed through the lobby, he greeted us and asked how things were. Very exceptional service! The location of the hotel is within walking distance of fine restaurants, local bars, and Target Field. Found the location to be extremely convenient. Great bar & lounge within hotel as well.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Westin is located Downtown Minnepolis at a perfect location for us. Just around the corner is a stop for the city-train which would take us to Mall of America and the AirPort. Our 9th floor room was greate, king bed in one part and a sitting room next to it. Good restaurant where we had dinner and breakfast. Very helpful and serviceminded people at the desk, bar and Restaurant.

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as possible. Our corner room was great.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oddw2013
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here for Business, but had my family stay for one night while my Wife and I went to the All Star game. The hotel was beautiful and very clean. Bed was super comfortable and I got a suite so it was extra big. No lounge which I didn't like, but as a platinum SPG they gave me an awesome gift of snacks in my room which was extra special and I really appreciated when I got home late. I would definitely stay at this hotel again as the staff was great and the hotel was perfect! Also had breakfast in the AM and that was also very good.

Room Tip: IF you can get a suite they are nice.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business