“I'd be a regular if I lived here”
Review of Common Roots Cafe

Common Roots Cafe
Ranked #269 of 1,862 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: At Common Roots Cafe, we serve good food made from scratch morning, noon and night. Our kitchen and bakery uses local and organic ingredients to create a changing menu of innovative offerings. Whether it's espresso on-the-go, lunch with a colleague, happy hour beer with friends, or a night on the town, you'll always know that Common Roots provides high-quality and sustainable fare that's accessible to all. Rent out our Common Room for business meetings, family gatherings, bookclubs, and more!
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We were visiting in August and we had read about French Meadow Bakery on this street and decided to go. But when we parked a few blocks down the street we ended walking by Common Roots and from one look in the window it felt more like what we wanted so we checked it out. It's basically a big coffee shop with tempting baked good in the glass case and a bustling kitchen in the back. We both went for breakfast bagel sandwiches and loved them; the bagels are really good. And the coffee is out of this world good too. It's the exact kind of place I would love to have in my Salt Lake City neighborhood. Kudos to Common Roots, if we're ever back in South Minneapolis we will be back.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Although I have only bee there for breakfast and lunch, no complaints about the food! The staff is friendly, the prices have something for everyone, and there is plenty to choose from. Best part is that it's often local and organic!

Reviewed 30 May 2013

They really make their own bagels and I am disappointed when they run out. Locally owned ,community and environmentally responsible. They feature locally sourced when ever possible. Limited, but often changed menu, gets the most quality out of a small facility. Ya want delicious or a lot of drab ho hum? Ya want fancy smancy or comfy and good?

Reviewed 26 April 2013

What a fabulous hang out! I had breakfast and lunch on a day when I needed to work and eat with others. Centrally located and fun employees!

Reviewed 16 October 2012

Visiting Minneapolis, I went to Common Roots with friends who are fond of the cafe. This is one of those placed where you order at the counter and they bring the food when it's ready. They enjoyed their non-risotto "risotto" dish (made with parsnips) and pasta of the day (pumpkin ravioli sauteed in brown butter and topped with candied popcorn; A for creativity anyway). My curried bean soup (a vegetable based broth with garbanzos, onions and other flavoring) was surprisingly un-hearty for a chilly fall evening. The beet salad with goat cheese was a tasty generous serving. Best thing about my meal was the delicious, fresh-brewed iced tea. Having a cute young man behind the counter is never a bad thing, and service was friendly. I was a little nonplussed that the guy who brought my soup seemed to think I should already have a soup spoon. The items in the bakery counter looked scrumptious but we didn't sample them. There what seemed to me a too-limited selection of menu items -- fewer than the varieties of beer and ways to drink coffee, I think. The prices seemed a little high. It's a pleasant and low-key spot with mostly young folks eating, drinking, studying, and chatting. But I probably wouldn't go back on my own.