“Favorite Local”

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Favorite Local”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

My favorite place to hang out, eat and drink. Love this place. I've eaten many things on the menu, and have loved everything. Being from England, I'm so glad to have a spot where I can eat my favorite things - and have them cooked well.
Bravo.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank tiggy68

Burnsville, Minnesota
“Very Spotty Service!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have been to Merlin's Rest restaurant twice. I had heard from friends that they had wonderful Fish & Chips and made a great home-made Pasty. It was interesting to note that none were impressed by the service. The fist time we went, the service was actually pretty good and the food was better. I had read reviews of the restaurant before our first visit, coming prepared for unattentive and possibly rude service. We couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised at how nice our server was. She noted that she was a friend of the owner, and she spent time talking with us and giving us tips on what to order.

We decided to go again this weekend, hoping we'd have a similar experience. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be. When we entered the bar, a couple sitting in the front window was just leaving. It was a nice, quiet corner spot so we grabbed it. While there were still dishes on the table, we sat in such a way that it wouldn't be hard for the server to clean. The waitress came, looked at us, and then just kept going. We waved at her, she noticed us waving, and she still didn't come. Another couple came in, sat at the table next to us, and she stopped got their drink order, and continued to ignore us. We actually spoke to her and said we needed service. She didn't respond and just walked back towards the kitchen. This went on for 15 minutes, and we finally just got up and left. We don't know if it was the fact that we sat at dirty table and she was attempting to punish us for this or not, or simply another manifestation of the rude service noted by other reviewers. The food is good at Merlin's, but they really do need to work with their servers to do a better job with the public. We don't expect each of our servers to win a Miss Congeniality contest, but we do expect better treatment when we are trying to spend money at an establishment. We eat out frequently, and go back to places that have BOTH great food and service. Merlin's has mastered half the equation (the food), and hopefully they can start work on fixing the service side of things.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank TrueMinnesotan
Saint Francis, Minnesota
“Good food and service, would go back when I get a chance.”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My brother invited me there for a beer and a bite and I was not disappointed. The food was good and the service was friendly. The structure and decor of the establishment lent a bit of the old world quality to the atmosphere. They were a little short staffed that night but that soon changed as the evening crowd gathered. For the money they gave generous helpings of each item on the menu that included traditional fare expected in a pub. The seating arrangements were comfortable but be prepared for the crowd. As I said before, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited December 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Pop over to a Great Local Pub - Merlins Rest”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Pints, whiskey and great food is found at this pub. It has the largest selection of single malt scotches and Irish whiskey of anywhere I know of in the Twin Cities. Classsic food from the British Isles fish & chips, cottage pie, cornish or vegetable pasty and of course bangers & mash. Plenty of choices to fill your gob.

I have been here several times and never disappointed. I love this place and for an hour or two it almost makes you feel like you are back in the mother country. It makes me think my friends from across the pond might just come walking through the door. Friendly staff, a wonderful Sunday Roast, huge booths, what else do you need to know? Just chuffed as nuts that this place is in the neighborhood. Go inside I think you will be surprised.

Check out their website for great music - Celtic open jam sessions, pipers, local musicians and bands. Oh and did I mention traditional pub quizzes?

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank just1backpack
“Convivial”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

A true British-style pub on Lake Street in Minneapolis. The food is basic and good. Their version of Irish stew is my usual. A good list of brews from England, Scotland and Ireland. Service can be a bit slow when the place is busy, but the staff is always friendly and helpful. This is a neighborhood and family pub with everybody from young kids to old folks to be found there. Lots going on, including sea shanty singing on the third Monday of each month.

• Visited January 2012