“Miserable experience”

Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed at Hyatt Place Minneapolis Downtown for a week in October 2013. This hotel opened on October 7 and we stayed there a few days later. It was previously a Comfort Suites that was renovated. We had a miserable stay overall. The hotel was totally unprepared and not ready for service. Here are some of the experiences we had during our stay:

On check-in, the staff checking us in were poorly trained and were not prepared for their jobs. For instance, the person checking us in could not give me details of how parking worked at the hotel and did not offer me all the options available.

Second instance - the staff at the breakfast section on the first morning we had breakfast (their 3rd day of service) did not know how to use the toaster and other breakfast appliances. The staff person had to call her manager who had to show her how to use the appliances.

On the second day, we realized around 7:00 PM that we had no hot water. A long story followed... calling front desk, waiting an hour, maintenance man spending 15 minutes confirming that we indeed did not have hot water, then waiting another hour for someone to do something about it, then calling the front desk again, then maintenance main coming up again to tell us that one of the two heaters for the hotel was not working and it would not be until the next day that it would be fixed and that he would have the front desk find us another room with hot water coming from the one working heater, waiting for another half an hour for a response from the front desk which never comes, us calling them and they allotting us a room on a different floor, the maintenance person dropping off one key when we needed two... eventually we had to move all our bags and stuff to a different room around 10:15 PM.

The following day we had to hear construction noise from the floor above ours... drilling and hammering for hours. The hotel was not completely constructed or ready for service.

The parking was completely confusing and more annoying and expensive than paying with my credit card each time to park in the same garage, which I ended up doing. They wanted to charge me $4 plus taxes more than the rate for self-pay and they wanted me to ask them each time I wanted to take our car for a card that would allow me to exit the garage. Annoying, more work and more expensive than paying the parking fee myself and bypassing the hotel billing completely. Again, someone did not think about this and they were not prepared to open for service.

At checkout, I realized they had charged us for parking during our entire stay while I had specifically chosen to pay my parking myself. I did get this corrected before I left, but this again was due to the incompetence of the hotel staff.

At the end, we did not get any apologies or compensation for us having to move rooms for lack of hot water or the other inconveniences.

We provided this review in the feedback they requested. The general manager responded with a form response and offered "a complimentary night to hopefully see the difference. If you can email me back an address, I will mail out a certificate for our hotel." We responded that we would much rather prefer you refund us for one night's stay and we never heard back from him.

We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sidkcuf
Jay S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Sidcuf, I am so sorry if we did not live up to your expectations. We did put the staff through two weeks of training prior to opening, but being only the third day open they were still getting use to their jobs. We feel our current pricing level for parking is competitive seeing that you get in and out privelages for that $4 increase in price over the garage. If you leave just one time or stay past your 24 hour time, our parking structure would save you money. I am sorry that you did not want the complimentary night to return in the future to see the differences. We felt this was a fair gesture for some of the challenges you experienced in our first 3 days of being open.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Had stayed from 12th to 18th Oct. The room was just amazing and just loved the location Downtown. Would love to stay again at this hotel while visiting MN. There are also a lot of restaurants outside the hotel to choose.

Room Tip: Go for IT!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ansdal108
Jay S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Hotel is really nice and not that expensive. There must've been a conference because breakfast was insanely busy. But woman working was refilling everything as fast as she possibly could--she did a great job.
Rooms are HUGE for standard. Two flat screens, one in living area, one in bedroom.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kat00731

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We encourage the team to go that exra mile and happy to hear you experienced it. Come back and see us soon!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband found this hotel online. It was even better than we expected. The room was so clean that I felt like I was the first person that had ever stayed there. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. They really did make us feel welcome. The breakfast was great for hotel free breakfasts. We had dinner in the bar twice because it was just too cold to go out and it was good but not great. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone. It was very comfortable, quiet, and clean.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Roxann E

Thank you for the great review Roxann! We look forward to seeing you back many, many times! You must come back for some leisure time! Let me know when you do so that we can show you some fun things to do when you aren't working! See you soon!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel nov27-dec4th It more than met my requirements.Visited my daughter who has moved here from Chicago.I booked with Expedia & the flight from the UK & the hotel was great value! Highly recommended......PS the assistant manager, Elliot,was very helpful,provided lots of in information on Minneapolis

Room Tip: was on the top floor and was given a suite....great
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank jimmerjim

Thank you for taking the time to review all the way from the UK! The hotel is pretty special and glad to know you found the team so accommodating. I am certainly proud of the associates here! Come back and see us again when you return to Minnesota!

Reviewed 17 December 2013

The room was amazing, holy cow. We stayed in a standard room, pretty amazing "standard" guest room, I must say. It was like 2 rooms in one, a nice area with a big l shaped couch(that converts into a bed, which my cousin said was comfortable), and a big screen tv, nice little desk, and it came with a mini fridge. Then you walk down a little hallway(bathroom is between the couch room and the bedroom) and there were 2 big beds, and a huge tv in the bedroom. We stayed on the 5th floor, less noisey and away from the drunk people. The view outside was amazing, could see the metrodome, and surrounding areas. We all stared out the window taking in the amazing views around us. The beds are comfy, however mine didn't seem to be clean(rocks were found on the fitted sheet by where your feet go). but whatever, it was do able, I kicked the rocks off and went to bed. It was a lovely place. very cheap but very lovely. If you are planning on hanging out at the bar in the building, you need to do it before 12am, they close it down at exactly midnight, even on a weekend-which I don't really understand but company policy I guess. They definitely seemed short staffed at times, I think they really need to look into employing more people on peak nights(Friday, Saturdays in particular) because I felt bad that the 2 men in charge were literally running their butts off to keep up with people and their demands. The employees are nice people, really respectable, but at times they seem so overwhelmed due to the shortage of people 'manning' the floor. The bathroom door wouldn't close all the way(508), it was measured wrong so the locking part doesn't go into the hole and so its impossible to lock the bathroom sliding door. I will be staying there again though. great place!

Room Tip: We stayed in 508. It was quiet and very nice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Jay S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you for your five point review and noting our friendly staff. It is nice that you let the Trip Advisor readers know that if they choose to stay with us, they can expect great service, excellent food and drinks and lots of fun when visiting the Twin Cities.

Best Regards,
Jay Slaboch

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Came downtown for the monster truck show. The hotel was very nice and the rooms were recently updated. No complaints. However the parking ramp exit was very hard to navigate in a 2011 f150. I would definatly stay there again and maybe next time check out the pool.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank smit4110
Jay S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you for the great review! So glad you had a great experience and that you enjoyed your stay. Of course, I was most pleased to hear that you the service exceeded your expectations. We look forward to your return! I understand the tight garage turn as I have a SUV.

Best Regards,