“Nice Hotel, Excellent Service in Downtown Minneapolis”

Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Nice Hotel, Excellent Service in Downtown Minneapolis”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I occasionally travel to Minneapolis for work, and my first stay at Hyatt Place was so pleasant I will definitely go back. The hotel is about a 5-10 minute walk from my office location in the central downtown area, and conveniently connected by Skyway if the weather is inclement. What made my stay so excellent was the front desk staff. Upon check in, I was offered a complimentary upgrade to a corner suite, which was a great surprise. The room was very clean, spacious and comfortable; I have been spoiled and won't want to stay in a regular room the next time! At checkout, I asked where I could change from my work clothes into jeans (for the plane home). I have to give a special shout out to Mitchell, who overheard my question to another member of staff (who was about to direct me to the lobby restroom) and insisted I use an empty guest room on the first floor near the lobby. I thought that was just 'above and beyond' kind, and I really appreciated the extra space so I could change comfortably and pack my work clothes into my bag. I feel like little gestures like that are often lost on hotel staff these days, so they are something that guests remember. I would gladly recommend the hotel to anyone and look forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: The corner suites are very spacious, comfortable and get great light.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Jay S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thanks for noticing that our staff truly goes above and beyond to ensure our guest's are well taken care of. While staying perfectly consistent all the time is hard, the staff is empowered to do whatever it takes to keep our guest's happy and coming back to us. I am glad you felt well taken care of.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week in June 2014. Staff are extremely nice and the rooms are great. I was on the sixth top floor and had absolutely no problems with the room, bathrooms are great with a nice bright walk-in shower. Most appreciative of the large fitness room with a nice view of the outside from above. Terrific location, easily within walking distance of the Mississippi river, Target Field and all the cool restaurants. Easy walk to the Univ. Of St. Thomas too.

If your coming in from the airport and will be staying local within downtown, definitely forgo a rental car...you can take the light rail train in from the airport or easily grab a taxi.

5 stars for this Hyatt Place and Minneapolis in general, looking forward to coming back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
What a great review! Thank you for giving us your honest feedback. We are delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations and create a memorable experience for you. We all work very hard to show our guests that we care and that their experience means everything to us.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I've never stayed in a Hyatt Place before and I was impressed.

It's a little inconvenient to take one elevator to get to the hotel lobby (8th floor), then another elevator to get to your room, but it's worth it. The location is great and you can walk to the convention center on the Skyway without ever going outside.

The room was very nice with a sectional sofa (pull out bed) in one room and the bed in another. There are plenty of outlets, which is great when two people are traveling with their own laptops, phones, etc. There is a fridge and plenty of drawer space, a nice desk and if you are someone who watches TV, a TV in the living area and the bedroom. There is a no tub in the bathroom (a minus since I prefer a bath over a shower).

Food was wonderful...we ate there on Saturday night when everything around there was dead. Breakfast was included and each day they served something slightly different in terms of protein. They also had a nice variety of fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt, oatmeal, toast, etc. each morning. I also appreciated the calorie counts that were on their menus and beside each dish at the breakfast buffet.

Wifi is free. The exercise area is smallish but sufficient. Every staff member was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Perfect stay is what we like to hear! The staff genuinely loves to hear when guests have had a perfect stay because it means our culture of sincerity and consistency worked. Thank you for sharing this with us. We really appreciate your business and your loyalty. Have a great summer!
Minneapolis
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I live in the condos above the hotel section of the high rise Centre Village building.

We are all so glad that Hyatt Place came in.

I haven't yet stayed there, but stay at the Boston/Braintree Hyatt Place alot for work.

The lobby area is downright HUGE. The bar staff are wonderful, and that they have local Minnesota tap-house beers on tap is an added plus.

If frequently go there for lunch, and also for the after work happy hours.

Great atmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask what MN brews are available. I'm a fan of Fulton, crafted just by the new MN Twin Stadium.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DowntownMinneapolis
What an awesome review! Nothing pleases us more than to hear that you have come back to us again and again. We value the connections and the relationship so much. Thanks for the great comments about the renovations.
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel appears to be recently updated and my room was more than expected. It had a separate living area with a desk, TV, and pullout sectional couch (which I used for TV watching, but did not pull out for sleeping). There was a bath off a small hall that led to a bedroom area with another large flat screen and 2 queen beds. Overall the room was nice and the bed very comfy.

The hotel had a quiet policy for late hours which was appreciated. And an on-site restaurant - which is where one of my complaints comes in - you can order food 24/7, but they won't deliver to your room, you need to go and pick it up which is a little inconvenient.

Speaking of convenient, the hotel is an easy walk from the light rail (even with luggage) and the light rail was a cheap ride from the airport ($1.75 one way during my stay). It is also connected to the Skyway system which was very convenient on the one day we had heavy rain in the area. The Skyway system has a map (which the hotel desk staff will provide if you ask) which you will need to figure out where you are going (it is a little hard to navigate if you are unfamiliar with it, but people were generally helpful if you asked).

The hotel is also close to the Nicollet Mall, a large shopping area.

The typical amenities are provided (soap, shampoo, conditioner, coffee/tea) and others are available upon request (hand lotion, etc). The room was clean and the shades effectively blocked out the sun so that I could sleep. Outlets are easily accessible through-out the room (important for charging phones, laptops, etc) and an alarm clock is provided as well.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and would stay again.

Green Features: They allow you to reuse your towels and won't change the sheets unless requested. However, I hung my towels as indicated and they were replaced anyways, so not sure staff is following through on the hotels green policies.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Margie H
We appreciate your feedback! We truly want to hear from our guests, good or bad, so we can know how we are doing and improve each and every day. I am so happy you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Hyatt PLace Minneapolis Downtown and we can't wait to have you back again the next time you are in town.
Chicago IL
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Hyatt Place is a great hotel downtown, close to the convention center. The rooms are spotless and spacious and very comfortable. The staff was helpful and friendly. The lobby is lovely and the quality of the breakfast was very good for buffet fare. The rooms are an excellent value for an urban hotel. We used the parking but not the in and out privileges. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks for taking the time to tell others about your stay. We use comments like yours to rally the staff and let them know what a great job they are doing so we appreciate your feedback.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed for four nights on a business trip in May. First thing to name for hotel shoppers, don't confuse the Hyatt Place with the Hyatt by the convention center. Both are close, but the Hyatt Place is further north between 7th and 8th street, a half mile longer walk than the main Hyatt.

I loved the room layout. There's an entrance living space with a desk, mini-fridge, couch, coffee table, and coffee bar. The bedroom is in the back with windows overlooking the city. There is a large flat-panel TV in both the living space and the bedroom. The bedroom also comes with a dresser, a couple night stands, two accessible plugs by the lamps on each side of the bed, and a iHome alarm clock which can accommodate older iPhone models (or all phones with mini-jack cable). The bathroom sits in between the two larger rooms.

The hotel lobby is quite large - it's open from the first floor all the way to the 6th, making for a spacious feeling sitting area. One one side of the hotel is an office area with accessible computers, a bar, the breakfast area, and plenty of seating. On the backside of the hotel is another community area with many tables, couches, and sitting areas. There are also tvs in both sections running sports and news around the clock. I was a little puzzled as the tvs did not have any volume, but they also did not have closed captioning, so there was no way to know what was being said on the tvs.

The breakfast was good - quite a large layout of food. There were 6 cereal options each day, fruits, yogurt, cottage cheese, bagels and bread, doughnuts and other pastries, and then three hot food items. There was an open faced sandwich with spinach and cheese, a breakfast sandwich with ham and cheese, and then french toast. While they were all very tasty, I was a little disappointed they were the same each day of the week. By the end of my stay, I was looking for something different than what I had eaten three mornings in a row.

I did have a chance the try out the fitness area. A few bikes, a few ellipticals, and a few treadmills. There was also another section with weight lifting options. There were towels and water available too. I was not able to find any sanitizer sheets, which are a common staple for wiping down a sweaty exercise machine. Perhaps I didn't look well enough, but those would be greatly appreciated. There was also a decent sized indoor pool with two surrounding hot tubs. While I never took a swim myself, I saw the pool received quite a bit of usage.

The staff were all very pleasant and courteous. Quick to offer suggestions when requested, and more than willing to go out of their way to make the stay worth the while.

Besides a few minor dislikes, I loved the hotel. Would definitely recommend it for any looking for a down-town hotel in Minneapolis.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank prchn4christ
Thanks for your great comments and for giving others your opinion about our hotel. I hope we have the opportunity to earn a 5 star rating from you in the future.