“Good value, but with some issues”

Ramada Plaza Minneapolis
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Kansas City, Missouri
“Good value, but with some issues”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Ramada Plaza for three nights. It was not an overwhelmingly good or an overwhelmingly bad experience, but I definitely formulated some pros and cons.

Pros:
- The hotel has excellent highway access and good parking.
- My room was large and comfortable. We had a chaise lounge, even. (Unfortunately, it had a suspicious stain, but hey, a chaise lounge is pretty novel.)
- The desk in the room was equipped with more outlets than even someone like me who travels with a lot of devices to charge would ever need.
- Internet service was fast, reliable, and free, which is always a huge plus.
- The bed was comfortable, though a bit on the soft side.
- The room was mostly very clean (aside from the chaise lounge), and housekeeping did an excellent job of maintaining it during our stay. We never had a lack of linens or toiletries.
- Housekeeping also went above and beyond the call of normal hotel duty on the last night that we stayed, which I will describe below.
- We got an extremely low room rate, which made the stay an excellent value.

Cons:
- The hot water in the bathroom was really, comically slow to get started. I could turn on the hot water in the shower and before it got hot, I'd have time to use the toilet, brush my teeth, and stage a dramatic and ironic reading of the printed statement about how not laundering your towels every day saves water. Granted, once the water heated up, it was plenty hot and there was enough of it for two people to shower and then some. But the wait was a bit excessive.
- I thought initially that the hotel was quiet, but it turned out that the reason that it was quiet was that it was under-booked. On the last night of our stay, there was a wedding reception in the hotel restaurant, and apparently many of the attendees had rooms on the floor I was staying on. I know this because they congregated noisily and drunkenly in the hall near the elevator (coincidentally near my room) between 11pm and 1am. I learned more than I wanted to know about several members of the wedding party's preferences in underwear, and at least one person puked loudly in the hall. Now, obnoxious guests are not the hotel's fault, but it did point up the fact that the rooms are very open to hallway noise. I am happy to say that when we checked out in the morning, no puke was in evidence, and there was no trash or anything in the hall, so the housekeeping staff must have been really on the ball.

Overall, I would probably stay here again if necessary, especially for the rate we paid. But I would want a room away from the elevators if at all possible.

Room Tip: There is only one bank of elevators in the hotel, and room numbers go up from the end near the eleva...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
RamadaPlazaMpls, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Minneapolis, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Honeygnome,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I’m glad that our location was convenient, the room and bed were comfortable, the outlets were plentiful, the internet was fast and most of all that our staff did an excellent job. I’m a little disappointed to have missed out on your reading of the water conservation statement, it sounds like it was a good one. I apologize for the rude wedding attendees. We do our best to keep groups together when blocking rooms. Please know that our security staff is always ready and willing to address situations such as the one you encountered to ensure that everyone has a pleasant stay. We look forward to your next stay with us here at Ramada Plaza Minneapolis.
Happy Travels,
Tammy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Chisholm, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Close to downtown and have a shuttle to take you down there but it does not run all night so plan for that. It is a $20 cab ride back from downtown. Pool area is OK and the place is quiet so you can get a good night sleep. Good customer service and is easy on and off the freeway if you have to do any travelling while you are there. Check this place out.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
RamadaPlazaMpls, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Minneapolis, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Mcdonapa,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m glad that you were able to get a good night’s sleep while you stayed with us and that staff provided you with good customer service. The convenient location and free parking here at Ramada Plaza Minneapolis make us a great alternative to a downtown hotel. We hope to have you as our guest again.
Kindly,
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The overall service was awesome. I enjoyed my stay and the restaurant service manager and staff were wonderful. However, the hallways tended to be a bit noisy. The doors slam shut and it echos in the hallway making it loud, at times-disturbing. Otherwise my experience was a great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Jack,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff members were wonderful! I apologize for any door slammers. We do our best to keep the hallways quiet to ensure that all of our guests have a pleasant stay. I hope you will stay with us again for another great stay here at Ramada Plaza Minneapolis.
Happy Travels,