“Luxury at a Great Price” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Minneapolis
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“Luxury at a Great Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

I got such a great deal that I came just expected a basic hotel room. To my surprise, the hotel and room was superb!!. When I arrived, the outside of the hotel was just basic and I was not happy about the parking costs. But as soon as you walk in the lobby, the luxury is apparent. The room was perfect. It was large and very very comfortable. I was impressed by the size of the bathroom. I truly liked the very nice sized vanity and sturdy wood-crafted stool. My favorite amenity was the lighted bathroom mirror. The perfect lighting for make-up and I love the night light feature. I want one for my home! The bed was perfect, very comfortable with plenty of pillows Location was nice, close to many great bars and restaurants, all in easy walking distance. I didn't use the gym but I wondered down and was thoroughly impressed. The largest most luxurious hotel gym I have ever seen!! Truly rivals private luxury gyms/spas.

Room Tip: Hotel is very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JuanitaJay
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you so much for the great review! We're pleased that you found great value for the price. The gym is pretty spectacular and we're glad you enjoyed the bathrooms Lots of space to spread out! We hope to se you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Recently stayed here for business and was very impressed with this hotel. The front desk staff were extremely nice (Thanks Tim). The rooms have obviously been recently updated and were very tastefully done in a modern style. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. There is not a hot tub, but the workout facilities were incredible! Probably the nicest gym I have ever seen in a hotel. Numerous work out stations, free weights, cycles, etc... If you like to workout this is the hotel for you. Excellent location right on Nicollet mall, so there are lots of shops and restaurants. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mdhokenson
Thank you for taking the time to review! So glad you appreciated the recent renovations and that you enjoyed the gym. It's pretty special! Like you, if appreciate the location! So close to shopping, restaurants and nightlife. We hope to see you back soon!
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

The location here is a great! Nicollet Mall has lots to do - restaurants, shopping, people watching. Plus it was easy to walk to the Sculpture Gardens and also to the Art Museum. If you are attending a conference at the Convention Center, very easy walk to the Convention Center as well. Nice park areas around the hotel as well. Besides the location, the hotel is just OK.

When I checked in, the hotel had given my room away to someone else. No idea how this happened - the room was under my name and hotels always ask for photo ID upon check in. Have to say the front desk staff was nice about it and upgraded me to a suite and gave me dinner on them at their restaurant. I am still amazed at this even happened but it concerned me the hotel did not seem to think this was a big deal.

Room was nice but very loud. I had to call security twice one night because the people next to me were extremely drunk and I could hear everything. I am still not sure that security even showed up. I called once about 1:30 am and it was still going on about 2 am and I called again. Eventually they quieted down next door, but again, I do not think it was due to security and just the drunks passing out.

Room service food was horrible. My salad was drenched in dressing (to the point were I tossed it) and my soup was luke warm and very salty. When I ate in Prairie Kitchen and Bar, the same things applied, too much dressing on the salad and food was salty.

Not the best experience. Not the worst experience. I think the location is what saved this hotel from being a total disaster.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Rockinjla
Thank you for taking the time to comment. I'm certainly disappointed and would love the opportunity to speak to you directly. My email is mark.becker@hyatt.com and my phone is 612.596.4505. I look forward to rectifying for you
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We love the location of this hotel. It is within walking distance to many great restaurants. The desk staff is top notch and work to be engaging with their customers. Love the flavored water and dipped oreo cookies at the check-in area. The beds are wonderful! The bathroom is unique. We miss having a hot tub, but otherwise love this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MinnesotaRandy
Thank you for the great review! So glad you had a great experience (and got to try one of our check in treats!). The location is pretty spectacular and we're most pleased that you found exceptional service. Come back and see us!
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

This is a nice hotel. The lobby has a large, very inviting fireplace, which is perfect for Minnesota. Our room was spacious and nicely appointed. We used a hide-a-bed sofa for an extra person and it worked out great. The staff was pleasant. The location is within nice walking distance of lots of shops and restaurants in the downtown area. My only complaint is with the valet service. My point would be to the management: if you cannot provide good valet service, then you should have guests self-park. We paid extra for valet parking, but one time, after calling for my car to be brought around, I found my locked car in the main driveway area but no person with my keys in sight. I waited and waited - no one was around. After 15 minutes, a manager-type person came through to retrieve keys for another guest - I asked for my keys, and after searching and searching (they had no idea how the keys were organized on the key rack) I identified my own keys and I let myself in my car. Another night I pulled up to the main entrance - no valet in sight. After waiting for 5 minutes, I went inside - there was one person at the reception desk: "Can I get someone to park my car?" I asked. The desk person said: "That would be me." It was as if they had no staff to park cars. I believe the hotel was full, so I don't understand the understaffing issue. Again, I would be happy to pay less for (more efficient) self-parking, but guests should be warned about the poor valet service when checking in and be told self-parking is more reliable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review. To say that we're disappointed is an understatement. The valet service you received is unacceptable. Please contact me at mark.becker@hyatt.com. Or 612.596.4505 so that I have the opportunity to make it right. Appreciate the feedback!
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

This has been recently remodeled to an upscale, ultra modern version. Our check in was very efficient (less than 5 minutes). Most of that was due to an excellent staff member Ms. LIZ! We saw her several times through out our stay and she was always welcoming and helpful. We received good advice for our walk about downtown MPLS....and were very please with our gorgeous suite overlooking Nicolet Mall. We were lucky enough to plan a stay on Thursday, so there was a ton of street vendors out along the Mall, which was a lot of fun. Also a very nice walk to the Target Field for a Twins game. We wished we had known about the MN Lynx that night too, as we would have attended that as well. We walked everywhere and had a great time. This is a great location. Dark blue/black interior of the rooms with a dark blue carpeting. NEAT! Best of all was the bed and linen quality. It was amazing! We slept in late and had a very quiet room. Yup, we'll definitely be recommending this to family and friends, and will be back again for a stay in the Cities. We loved it. We had breakfast the next day at their Prairie restaurant. The staff there was also good. Our meal was excellent, all with organic, local grown good. ($$$) only weird thing was the tables at which we were dining at, were pretty crummy. The finish was coming off and flaking,,, They were all beat up and scratched badly.It really took away from the dining experience. We looked around and saw several tables similar...why not just replace with new? Strange...the outdoor lounge/seating area looked great, we didn't get the chance to partake. We missed the gym (for shame!) and the pool ....next time!

Room Tip: The higher up you get, the better the view of the skyline
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review and the great comments regarding Liz! We will definitely share! So glad that you had a great experience and that you will recommend to your friends! That's the highest compliment we can get. You are correct, the restaurant tables did not hold up well and are in the process of being replaced. Roughly 15% are done and the remainder will be done in the upcoming months. The new tables are handmade locally so they take some time to fabricate. Thanks again for the feedback!
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Room was clean and decorated in a modern but simple style. Hallways looking a bit tired. Disappointed with not having a walk in shower as I was expecting. Bed however was extremely comfortable. Staff at front desk were very pleasant and professional. Parking is really expensive but we found a public lot a few blocks away for $5 for the night. The location is on Nicollet Mall but on the extreme edge of the downtown. You are pretty far from Target Field, the Warehouse District, Hennepin Ave Theaters, Guthrie Theater, and the Lightrail line. However, if you're spending time at the Convention Center, you can't get much closer.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review! You are correct in that we are one block from the convention center. The light rail is a half a mile and target center, target field, etc are one mile. Glad you found the room comfortable and the staff pleasant. Hope to see you back soon.