“Newly Renovated, Next to UofM Campus”
Review of The Commons Hotel

The Commons Hotel
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Newly Renovated, Next to UofM Campus”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I had stayed at the old Radisson hotel several times before this visit. In general, the renovation has done a lot of good.The rooms have a more contemporary feel, they are well appointed and spacious. I was somewhat surprised to see the burning cauldrons in front and in the lobby. Heating the outdoors does not make much sense, and I wonder why we should release more CO2 into the atmosphere than necessary. But my overall experience during a four-night stay was very good. There is an Applebee as well as a Starbucks inside the building, and there are plenty of cheap eats in the area. I did not have an opportunity to try the in-house restaurant. The hotel has a nice exercise room and offers passes to the nearby swimming pool. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Once the Light Rail is operational, it will be a breeze to get to the hotel from the airport.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the athletic facility, other rooms look into the parking garage across the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to see you enjoyed your visit. We have changed quite a bit over the last year. We are delighted to see you liked the end result. Next time, I hope you are able to experience our Gastropub, Beacon Public House. Thank you for your business!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Dana Point, California, United States
Reviewed 22 November 2013

The staff at this hotel are incredible! My daughter and her swim team spent 5 days at this hotel for a meet that was held at the University of MN. My daughter's birthday fell on the Saturday they were there. I contacted the hotel in advance to see if they could do something to make her birthday a little bit special since we couldn't be there with her. They responded immediately with a very gracious offer and put together a complimentary gift bag w/a card from us. Her day was made special by her friends and teammates there, and thanks to the staff at The Commons, she knew we too were wishing her happiness on her day as well! Plus to top it off she achieved two best times that day - so I would have to suggest that the accommodations were also exemplary! Thank you Commons Staff!

1 Thank Swimmom64
Thank you for taking the time to recognize the efforts of our team. It was our pleasure to make your daughter's special day memorable. Thank you for the opportunity. Please pass on our congratulations for her best times! We look forward to welcoming her back soon. Thank you again for your review.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed for 5 days on a conference at the University, held in the hotel itself. Nice hotel, interesting decor, especially the open fireplace in the lobby and one just outside! The area around the campus is nice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
I'm glad you had a great trip to campus, AGautam! I hope that you had an equally productive visit, and that your conference was a success. When travels return you to Minneapolis, we look forward to seeing you again! Thanks for your review!
Chapel Hill
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed here for a business trip, visiting the university. A very convenient walk to the campus, convenient walk to a variety of eateries. The decor and furnishings were nice, contemporary, clean appearance. The exercise facilities were good, decent variety of aerobics equipment, some weight machines - it was empty the two times that I went there. Internet was free, signal strength was good. The staff was friendly and helpful. Overall, a very pleasant place to stay, I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for recommending our hotel to the Trip Advisor community. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your business trip to the University. I hope when travels return you to Minneapolis again, you will choose us as your home away from home. Thank you for staying with us!
Burnsville, Minnesota, USA
Reviewed 15 November 2013

A week ago we spent a weekend at The Commons Hotel on the University of Minnesota campus. The hotel was very attractive, clean, and the staff was very accomodating. All in all, this was a great stay. The room was very nice, large enough and clean. Great proximity to all events on campus. Having just come from hotels in New York and New Orleans, I can tell you that this was a definite step us. We're already looking forward to another stay next fall. I highly recommend this hotel.

Only recommendation I have for the hotel is that they might consider a more varied menu and I thought the restaurant prices were a bit steep.

Room Tip: Any room selection should be a good one.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
I'm delighted to hear you have a return trip to us booked already! That means the world to us. If there is anything we can do to make this coming stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to ask myself, or any member of my team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you for your business.
Merrimac, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Over the course of the last four years, we have stayed at this location because of its convenience to the University of Minnesota. The new ownership is an improvement. The parking lot is directly behind and has shrunk a few spaces over the years, but the parking ramp is right across the street. Check in is nice and quick. Cucumber water is available right at the front desk. Plenty of places to meet up with people in the lobby.

The rooms are nice, comfortable, quiet, and boutique-like. We had a room that faces the UMN athletic gym. You can see the students working out, so keep your sheer curtains closed.

If you want breakfast before 7am, you must go somewhere else. Starbucks which has access via the lobby offers a classic breakfast sandwich.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in our newly renovated facility. The team looks forward to your next visit. Thank you for your business!
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Easy to find and very close to Coffman Union as well as the stadium on the UMN-TC campus, the Commons Hotel offered a perfect hotel experience. The architecture itself is magnificent-- very beautiful inside out and, and even offers an outdoor seating area with a cozy fire pit for the cool Minnesota evenings. The room was fabulous-- my view was spectacular. I could have slept in the bed happily for days. And the staff were very welcoming, helpful, and always had a smile on their faces. I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for your review! I am glad you found our hotel to be comfortable enough to stay for days and days. We would have loved for you to stay longer. Come back and see us again soon! We can't wait to welcome you back. Thank you for your business.