“Great location, great staff”

Radisson Blu Minneapolis Downtown
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, DC
“Great location, great staff”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The Radisson Plaza is in the center of town, near Nicolette Mall, and connected to the Skyway system. The hotel is only two and one-half blocks from the Light Rail (Blue Line) from the Airport. The Light Rail is a very efficient way to get downtown, and is only $1.75 ($0.75 seniors); a taxi ride is about $48 including tip, and not much faster). The hotel's room are spacious, well organized, temperature regulated, and very quiet. The staff is very willing to help, although the concierge was rarely at her desk. There are a number of meeting rooms, although they are spread out. Some are actually off the Skyway. Apparently, there is a general security problem with the Skyway. We saw the police arrest someone in part of the hotel immediately off the Skyway. The guests are well protected. The Hotel has quite a security force, which is perhaps overly suspicious. They confronted one of our party,an attractive, well dressed woman, who is also a judge. The hotel has a good restaurant and bar off the lobby.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Thai first
South Dakota
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I booked this hotel through priceline. I selected downtown Minneapolis because we were going to a concert at Target Field and I picked a 4 star hotel as a splurge since we would not be traveling with our children.
Upon arriving the lobby is very grand and the check in staff very professional. I was offered to upgrade to a street view room for $15 per night. I said yes as I did not like the idea of an inside atrium view room. I found our room to be average and in my opinion not a 4 star. The room furniture (desk and dresser) showed signs of wear and had some scratches on them and the carpet had a cigarette burn in it. The bathroom was nice with marble counters, but had a very basic shower head. It looked like the bathroom had flooded at one point because there was paint peeling on the back side at the bottom of the bathroom door. The bed was comfortable, but I find more and more 3 star hotels to have comfortable beds with pillow top mattresses and down comforters.
I asked for the final bill to be e-mailed to me, but still received one under the door on the morning of check out. I also stopped at the front desk to check out, as I need to get smaller bills to tip the valet guys. Both bills showed charges I made at the restaurant and bar as well as the valet charges, but not the room upgrade charges. That evening when I checked my e-mail, I had a final bill that now included the room upgrade charge. That's was fine, I agreed to the charges, but found it odd that I had received two final bills while at the hotel that did not include the charges? I e-mailed the hotel about this and was credited for the room upgrade.
All in all, the location was excellent, but it was average compared to other 4 star hotels I have stayed at!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Sandy, Oregon
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed here for three nights, for a conference. The rooms were clean and comfortable, with warm comforters on the beds. The beds were very comfortable, as were the pillows. One "living room-type" chair and a floor lamp to read by. I liked having a reading lamp at each side of the bed. There was also a work desk and a small table under it that could be pulled out for additional work space. The heating/cooling system didn't work well; even when the thermostat was @ 62° it was still warm. For someone who would be working in their room, the room was fine.

The location is great - right in the heart of Minneapolis. I was able to walk to the Mississippi, cross over on one bridge and come back over another - a nice 3.5 hour loop, at a strolling pace. There were many restaurants and stores within six blocks.

All of the staff I encountered were very friendly and helpful.

Green Features: The hotel says to leave your towels on the floor if you want them changed; otherwise, hang them up. I always leave mine hung up - but in this hotel, as in so many others that profess to be environmentally friendly - the housekeeping staff gave me new ones on a daily basis.
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Visiting Minneapolis for the first time in many years, convention was in town, so hotel rooms were at a premium.

Very convenient location, close to the office, everything in walking distance.

Hotel staff were very efficient, room was spotless, but the internet was slow! I guess we all expect high speed internet to mean just that.

Only disappointment was the service at the bar, as it was late, I had to eat at the bar, indifferent service, and what I requested was not what was delivered. Very sloppy.

Sticker shock at check out, not value for money.

Sde Boker, Israel
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed in the Radisson plaza Minneapolis for only one night.
Unfortunately, this is not sufficient time to experience the hotel properly. Still, I would wish to mention the friendly and helpful staff. The location of the hotel was very good (especially if you are into shopping). The Room I stayed inn was quite old, but still provided a very good night sleep. I liked the fitness room, it was on a high floor (unusual), and provided me with the facilities I needed for my workout.
Should come again with my wife, she will better appreciate the shopping around :-)

Room Tip: Fitness Room is on the 17th floor so don't run to the basement as you used to :-)
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Paris, France
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was my 3rd stay at this hotel and I have never been disappointed. The rooms are large and spacious, the beds are comfortable (I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud), the workout room is fantastic (located on the 17th floor and not on some dingy basement) and the hotel personnel is delightful. The highlight of my day was being cheerfully greeted by Larry every time I went down to the restaurant to get my breakfast. The nighttime bartender was also very helpful and friendly.

The Fire Lake restaurant is surprisingly good (I usually distrust hotel restaurants). Some of my favorites were the oven-fired mozzarella pizza, the Walleye burger and slaw, and the wood-grilled asparagus.

I heard that the hotel is undergoing a $22-million renovation to become a Radisson Blu. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room on a higher floor not overlooking the atrium (unless you want absolute sil...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Michelle T, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you both for your recent stay and for taking the time to provide the great review on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.
I thank you for your business and loyalty. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Regards,
Michelle Torguson
Director of Operations
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed at the Radisson for two nights. The location is great for shopping, restaurants and easy access to other parts of Minneapolis. Friendly and easy check in and check out. The carpet is a bit old, but I have seen worse. The bed was most uncomfortable probably due to being old. The parking is tight and on two nights when we came back the lot was full, so you can not count on having parking even though you have paid for it. We did not eat at the hotel, so I can not comment on the food or service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family