“Outstanding Service is NOT a thing of the past!!”

Millennium Minneapolis
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I never write reviews, simply because I never feel compelled, until now. I took my kids for an impromptu staycation and stayed at this property. I booked on Hotels.com, which typically means the service you receive is sub-par because of booking through a third party, discounted site. From the first interaction I had with Annie, to the next I had with Chelsea, to the room service delivery, cocktail waitress, breakfast server and Anita at the front desk upon checkout....every single interaction I had made me feel like I was a top priority. I was incredibly impressed. As a business traveler who stays in three or four different properties each month, I can attest this just doesn't happen anymore. I don't expect it. How refreshing to arrive somewhere and feel so welcome and accommodated. The food was incredible, the staff was top notch, the room was so comfortable....I cannot wait to return for another getaway! Kudos to the staff and management at the Millennium for proving that stellar service is NOT a thing of the past!!

Room Tip: Corner King's are spacious and modern!

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We had the most wonderful experience at the Millennium Hotel Minneapolis! The establishment is very clean and modern. Not only did the staff recognized us by name they were so very helpful with anything that we needed!! I know that the next time I stay in the downtown area we will for sure be checking into this fabulous hotel! Thanks Chelsea and Jamie!!

1  Thank Barb V
Katie N, General Manager at Millennium Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Barb V,
Thank you so much for your very kind review!

The team in the front office truly do an excellent job with guest service. I am very fortunate to have them on my team. Jamie and Chelsea both appreciate your kind words as well.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I forgot some very important details of our trip that were sure to make things confusing with us all checking in at different times. I called ahead to talk to someone to make sure everything was in place for our stay and she was amazing!! There was a form I needed to complete which she emailed me within 3 minutes and took care of everything for me. I will never stay anywhere else in Minneapolis. In a world of people that don't care, don't help and don't have any interest beyond working their shift and leaving, she is a breath of fresh air and a great reminder that the world still has people that will stop what they are doing to help you make your stay smooth. I can't say enough about her. Due to my good experience, I will be booking future business meetings and personal stays there. They got a customer for life.

Denise,
Anita consistently does an outstanding job with guest service. She leads by example as a manager in the front office and throughout the hotel. I am so pleased to know that she again exceeded our guests expectations!

Would love to meet you and say hello if your travel plans bring you back to Minneapolis!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I did not stay at this hotel, but stayed across the street at the Hyatt. The airline lost my luggage, and had a service deliver it. However, without my knowledge, the service delivered it to the Millennium across the street. I was in a panic looking for the lost luggage that neither the delivery service nor the Hyatt could now find. On a whim, I decided to walk across the street, and that is where I found Anita at the front desk. As soon as I walked up and said I was staying at the Hyatt, she asked if we happened to be the owner of the suitcase!! She had been calling the airline and my cell phone (which was now dead because my charger was in the suitcase), trying to return it to me. She was funny, friendly, and helpful - the perfect person to encounter at the front desk.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Chandra G
Reviewed 22 February 2014

First off, I realize this is a business type hotel but they could have tried a little better. Like, the rooms could have been larger, they were quite small and we found it hard to walk around the room at times. The place was nice but everything was just too small like the pool and the fitness room. Also, since it's in downtown, parking is quite expensive. Overall, the hotel was nice, but too small altogether.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I will preface this with two points:
1) My partner booked this through Hotwire. When you do this, the hotel gets screwed on the rate, that's not really good news for the way you'll be treated by the hotel.
2) This is a hotel in a businessman area, NOT in a strong leisure area, and it's run as such. If I had some corporation paying my way, I wouldn't have anything bad to say.

So we wanted to stay somewhere over Valentine's weekend, because in our third year together we had never done it but the weather would have prevented us from really traveling far.
When my mom found out we were doing this, she wanted to put her card down for incidentals (not payment). I would have just as soon shut them off and not had the ability to charge things to the room (we ultimately didn't charge anything to the room) and it would have been a lot less trouble, but not only were they insistant that we have a cc for $100, they have the most tedious process imaginable if the cardholder isn't traveling. Made something nice my mom wanted to do for us very complicated and really kind of turned us off to the whole thing.
However, we couldn't cancel, so we stayed anyway.

Our initial check in was by a clerk who initially insisted we cough up a credit card anyway, before finally reading the screen in front of him and seeing that we'd already cleared that (overly huge complicated) hurdle. He then sliced his finger open on the key packet and wandered off for several minutes (mostly understandable) in order to bandage his cut.
Nobody stepped in to finish our check in, we were left standing there.

We finally were checked in, and given a room with two very small beds (we're both big guys over 6'1, and we mentioned at least half a dozen times that this was a romantic thing we were doing for valentine's day). The room also had a tv which is at an offputting angle toward the beds and would be only marginally viewable from most places in the room. When we called down, intially our call was answered by "guest services" who instead of helping us or transferring us, rudely told my fiance to "call the front desk". Naturally, he thought he HAD called the front desk.
He was upset so I called down, got a nice lady at the front desk, and explained that the roomtype wasn't ideal for our purposes and was there something with one bigger rather than two smaller beds. Just at that moment, some errant children came by and pressed the doorbell, set off the strobe lights in the room and I nearly had a stroke.

She was VERY kind (although we DID have to drag all our stuff back down and back up again, most places as expensive as this send an employee with keys), and she was very kind.

We got into the second room, and it was nice. Not huge, and not the nicest I've ever seen, but it was adequate. Had a small fridge which was very low to the floor and not very pleasant to use. The TV was on a bit of paneling that went floor to ceiling. Was nice but the tv itself was on the small side, especially since they've drawn attention to it that way. But the viewing angle was far better, and there wasn't a doorbell for other people's unruly children to harass us with, so we didn't ask to move again.

The bed was really comfortable, and that was very nice.

We went to the pool and there were several clumps of long human hair we encountered. We found the empty space in the back corner of the room where the hot tub should be, but we never found a hot tub.
That first night (saturday) there were only a few clean pool towels left and the hamper was overflowing.

When we returned to swim on Sunday afternoon the pool area was still a mess, but when we returned a third time on Monday morning it was much better and cleaner.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there is a charge for wifi. We didn't bring a laptop and the cell strength is just about the best you'll get in the Twin Cities. We were fine without it, I have a 3G Iphone and my partner has a 4G LTE android and we didn't want for wifi.
This, along with nothing else really being included for free, and all the food options having extra fees, gratutities, and etc is why I said earlier that this is a hotel for business travelers. They don't pay their own way anyway, and don't *care* if wifi costs money, or how much the delivery charge is for breakfast. Doesn't matter one bit.
However, if you're a leisure guest with your demonspawn in town for a monster truck show or some or another stupid sport thing, you'll notice that it's probably not ideal for you. For you, I would recommend anything along 494 nearer to Mall of America. Odds are you'll find more free things.

The only other things I was unhappy with:
When I asked a housekeeper for extra coffee cups, she tried instead to strongarm herself into our room to clean it. My fiance was sleeping in there, and damnit, no means no! She did eventually cough up the coffee cups I actually asked for.
One of our cocktail glasses had sharpie marked all over the bottom, but wasn't the end of the world, just glad they believed me when I did report it and they didn't charge us for it, and the clerk I reported it to was very nice and kind about it.

Overall, if we did another staycation without putting much planning into it like we did this time, we would consider staying again. It's nice that it's in the skyway and there is a lot of great food nearby. But on the other hand, two out of eight interactions with staff were actually pleasant, the stay, even on Hotwire was FAR from cheap, and there are a LOT of hotels in the Minneapolis area we could try....

Room Tip: Our first room was on a lower floor and had strobe light doorbell that children LOVE to press. Our...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Katie N, General Manager at Millennium Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

LOVEB1RDS,
Thank you so much for such a detailed account of your stay with us!
I am always pleased when a guest shares that our staff is extremely friendly.

I am very sorry that you had a long process with your Mother's credit card. We are required to follow many laws as it relates to credit card compliance. I know that it is an inconvenient process, but is a necessary evil when protecting our guests credit information.

I am pleased that the team was able to find you a king bedded room to enjoy during your stay. You are correct is saying that we should have sent an associate up with the new guest room keys and this is certainly something for me to address.

We had many families that chose to have a special Valentine's Day weekend in the city this year. The pool was certainly well used. That is not an excuse for the lack of clean, dry towels, it is sometimes very difficult to keep up. We also unfortunately do not have a hot tub but have a Sauna. Certainly the long winters in this part of the country warrant the sauna to warm your bones!

I would love to assist you with any further reservations. We are a corporate hotel throughout the work week and adjust to our leisure guests needs for the weekends. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of assistance with a future visit.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We had a reservation and we were attending a wedding that evening, but for some reason the reservation was not in their system. But, Anita took charge and straighten everything out and we received a free breakfast for having to wait while she worked things out. Overall, we had a wonderful stay. All the staff were friendly and courteous. I definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lshea77

Thank you very much for your kind words about Anita and the service that you received. The team does a great job dealing a wide range of situations during all shifts. Anita is a great example of what it takes to ensure that our guests are well taken care of.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Millennium Minneapolis very soon!