“Nice Hotel, Nice Location”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Minneapolis
Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
San Francisco, California
“Nice Hotel, Nice Location”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Staff was welcoming and went out of their way to assist with our many questions. They suggested fun local spots for us to eat & play a little while we were off from our convention. Our group was handled very well overall.

I did not like the parking - needs better signage & attendant.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Patrick B, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Our team strives everyday to provide great hospitality and to help our guests be well-informed about our city. It is nice to hear that you had time to relax away from the convention and that our staff assisted you at all times. Thank you once again for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Boone, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Front desk staff was very helpful and accommodating. Denitria, our waitress in the hotel restaurant, was outstanding. Beds were the best! We really enjoyed the suite layout of the rooms - comfortable and well decorated. Nice to have microwave, frig and coffeemaker in the room. Good location - we parked the car on arrival and didn't move it till departure!

Joni,

Thank you for the response and it is so nice to hear you had a great sister's weekend.
I appreciate very much your kind words about Denitria and our entire front desk team. Our hotel location is perfect so you can park your car and walk to restaurants, venues, and shops. Thank you again for staying with us.
Des Moines, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2014

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Minneapolis had a great room and the staff provided outstanding service. Negatives: The hotel charged my credit card to include a damage deposit (or what DoubleTree THINKS I will owe at the end of my stay). I wish the hotel would just charge me for the price agreed upon when I booked the room. (The deposit will be refunded a few days after I check out.) Also, they charged me extra for the bottles of water left in the room, something I was not aware would happen until after I checked out of the hotel and saw the extra charge on my credit card. I also had to pay $19/day for parking. I felt a bit like I was being nickel-and-dimed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Michael S
Patrick B, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is great to hear that our service was outstanding. Thank you as well for giving cleanliness and accommodations the highest possible ranking.Indeed any authorization on your credit card that is above your actual charges will drop off 5-7 business days after check-out. Thank you again for staying with us and providing your feedback.
Missouri City, Missouri
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I normally wait until I leave to review the hotel I'm staying, but I really don't want to forget anything because thus far it has been the worse stay I have ever had at a Doubletree.

It all started when I got to the hotel, they have their own parking "garage" at the hotel and I had to buzz to get in. No one bothered to answer the buzz and tell me the garage was full, so after navigating my way up the "two way" ramp that only has enough room for one car, I had to navigate my way down the ramp to get out. Again I buzzed to get out, no one answered and the magic gate lifted.

I then drove across the street to a lot that was clearly a private lot and there was no way for me to park in that lot on my own because I don't hold a card to get in. But I did call the hotel. I explained my plight and was instructed to wait in this lot and the security guard from the hotel would come and let me in this private lot. Woo hoo, I am parked and get to go in.

I checked in, the fellow at the desk was a nice enough guy. Parking would be free tonight because of the issues I raised about buzzing in/buzzing out with no one talking. He adjusted my stay because I failed to do that, my travel plans kept changing, and then he gave me my keys. I did have to ask for my DoubleTree Cookie, after all that is the welcome home thing. They didn't have any at the front desk, so I waited while he found one for me.

I am a Hilton Honors member with Diamond status. My preferences, while not always accommodated, are to be on a high floor away from the elevator. I get to my room. I'm on the 3rd floor of the hotel, in a room not only by the elevator but the staircase, and in what I can tell is a SMOKER's room. I immediately go back to the front desk and voice my displeasure with the room. Blah blah blah...it used to be the smoking floor...blah. They promise me a new room in the morning because they are booked. Woo Hoo....new room.

Ah, the next day. I got a new room. Top level, HHonors floor, far from the elevator. The dude came through. I did my laundry that day. The laundry room was fine. No bells, no whistles, it is a laundry room after all. Clothes were washed, and dried.

I went to the hotel bar/restaurant for dinner. I tried to order the NY Strip, but alas, the are out of steak. Must be a shortage of cow somewhere. I got the pork chop instead. Tasty. Broccoli was good, too. The beer on the other hand. You know how Anheuser-Busch has the born on date on the bottle of beer? Well the beer I ordered had the BOD of March. Well past its 120 days of "freshness". I guess no one drinks this beer up here? Strange. Why carry it? The poor bartender was the only guy working in the restaurant. He was the room service guy as well. Service around the place was pretty poor. I saw two people walk out because they never received service. I don't blame the bartender at all. The Hotel was supposedly full and this poor dude was the only one scheduled to be the waiter, bartender, room service guy.

I went to the bar/restaurant the following day for dinner, order the same beer, same BOD, but this time the beer is relatively warm. I had to ask for a cold glass so I could get the beer cold. I later said something about the temperature of the beer and was told they just put it in the cooler around 4pm. So someone must be drinking this beyond fresh beer. Other than that the worker-bees were great. They actually scheduled a bartender and a waitress/room service person today, service was much better.

And now to today. Why I am writing this now. As I said, I'm HHonors Diamond. I get free breakfast. Well, the $12 coupon today got me this...A buffet that only had the dried out eggs around the bottom/side of the pan, pancakes (which look like crepes to me), with no syrup, and a bad cup of coffee. So for this $12 coupon I ate a bowl of previously frozen fruit, two muffins, and one cup of coffee. Why one cup? I wasn't offered a refill.

I am now drinking my McDonald's coffee while writing this review. Other than my misfortune, I would like to give the review of the hotel:

1. It is old.
2. The bathrooms are tiny.
3. The halls have chair rail falling off or completely missing.
4. The parking is difficult to maneuver. There are mirrors so you can see on-coming traffic but I don't think they have been adjusted in a while because they are pointed the wrong direction.
5. The A/C in both rooms I was in are failing. I have it set to 64 degrees and I am still warm. I should be freezing. Nope.

After all is said and done, I will never stay at this hotel again. If I didn't hate packing/unpacking I would have already left. I can not and will not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Bill S
Bill,

I apologize for the problems you encountered during your recent visit with us. We obviously let you down and made your travel experience more difficult than it needed to be. If you have time, please contact me at 612-332-6800 to discuss further.

Patrick
South Bend, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Upon arrival I could not tell where the front of the hotel was.It is not clearley marked and parking was terrible.No valet parking.We went to the twins game and came back to have coktails and the bar closed at 11:00pm.There were still people in there but the bartender was cashing out her drawer at 11:10pm.We went to Brits around the corner and spent money there

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Patrick B, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Michael,

Thank you for the feedback and we are happy to hear you had a "nice stay". Your notes about parking and the lounge are items we will work on to hopefully make your next visit a "great stay".
Glad to hear our location worked out due to our close proximity to Target Field and many other entertainment options. Thank you for staying with us.
San Francisco, California, USA
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Have stayed here many times. Great room layouts for more room, facilities have everything and location in downtown area perfect for visiting. Staff is very friendly and makes you feel like a guest in a much fancier hotel.

1 Thank Jim M
Jim,

Thank you for the feedback and for your loyalty. It is great to hear about the warm hospitality provided by our team. We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Minneapolis.
Fulton, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Room was clean & furniture was in good condition. I felt it was over priced for size of suite we were given. I have stayed here many times & our room was always larger. Quiet & restful sleep. Its in a good area close to resturants & activities downtown.

2 Thank Marcia R
Patrick B, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Marcia,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Room cleanliness and quality are vey important to all of our guests and I am glad your accommodations met your expectations. Our location is indeed ideal for people traveling to downtown Minneapolis. Thank you for your continued loyalty and we hope to see you again soon.