“Excellent place to stay on a long-term project”

Minneapolis Marriott Southwest
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Minnetonka
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Recently stayed her for a nine-week project for a local business Mondays-Thursdays. Express check-in is very convenient to use, often having my room ready by 9 am Mondays! It was nice to be able to drop my bags before going into the office.
For those with Marriott status, the concierge lounge is very nice. Always a great way to start the day with a nice warm breakfast without leaving the hotel. Same goes for snacks & dessert at night, and the light dinner they also provide came in handy quite often when trying to juggle late meetings,etc.
The room were up to the usual Marriott standards - get a higher floor if you can because it's the higher building in the area so you get a great view!
The staff went out of their way to make me feel at home, even greeting me by name after a short while.
I would definitely go back next time I'm in the area!

Room Tip: Higher floors seem much quieter
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

I am delighted to hear that we have been able to take such good care of you during your early arrival dates. Thank you for the kind comments regarding our concierge lounge.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed one night for a trip to see a client the next morning. Arrived late in the evening and had to park my rental a decent hike from the front door.

The front desk gentlemen was extremely friendly with a smile. He confirmed my reservation and informed me that I had been put into a small suite. As I'm a Marriott Gold, I had access to the lounge on the top floor. The room itself was at the end of a long corridor so I knew it would be quiet. The room itself was large, a small living area, tv and desk. A bathroom with shower and Jacuzzi. Plenty of light. The bedroom also had a television and a large king bed. The bed itself was comfortable. The room looked like it had been remodeled but still showed its age. Closet doors, shower, furniture looked like something from the early 90s.

As a Gold member, wifi was free and it worked throughout the property. I did not get a chance to use the gym. I did run up to the lounge in the morning. You need to use your room key to get to the top floor. The lounge itself was small with a small breakfast area. There is one PC and printer there. The area itself was overwhelmed with people at 745am and there were no seats. I grabbed a muffin and some coffee and decided to just head back to my room.

The bill was under my door when I got up and was correct. There was also a newspaper.

Overall it is a decent business hotel. But the hotel shows its age and was not a bargain.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you for the review regarding your recent stay with us. I will be sure to share the comments you made regarding the front desk host being so friendly with the desk team. Congratulations on your Gold Marriott Rewards status. We truly appreciate your loyalty. I hope you come back to our area soon and can see the new carpet we have begun to install and the upgrades we have made to the concierge lounge.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

One of the interesting things about a hotel experience with a group of people is how different each one's experiences are in the same hotel at the same time. This was what I encountered recently at my stay at this Marriott hotel. I was personally quite pleased with the accommodations and service at the hotel though somewhat annoyed when the air-conditioning shut down every night and the room got quite uncomfortable as far as sleeping temperature. But I came down to the lobby in the morning after the first evening and was quite surprised by my colleagues experiences. One of them was unable to turn on the shower as the lever jammed and maintenance had to be called. Imagine that happening when you are in a rush to meet a group for a business meeting. Another individual went in her bathroom and found she was in the middle of a shower - from the floor above. Apparently the bathroom in the room above hers flooded and the water came down on her. Everyone complained of the temperature change during the night. The hotel restaurant served what I would call high-end bar food. Not bad, but not a destination restaurant. The wireless was strong. The rooms were quiet. Lighting was good. All in all, except for the minor catastrophes listed above I thought it was good enough for a business stay and my experience was just fine.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

I was glad to hear that you were overall pleased with the service and accommodations. Your response regarding the strong internet was also most welcomed. Please accept my apologies for the temperature and pluming issues you and your friends experienced. I have shared your comments with our engineering team. Enjoy the beautiful Charleston weather.

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend in the cities. Never again.

Walls are paper thin. Was woken up 4-5 times during the night as people walked by. Complained to desk staff but nothing was done. Ultimately would have had a better nights sleep in my car.

The place is overpriced and soulless. I expected a lot better.

STAY AWAY.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jerrywesterby

Please accept my apology for your inability to get a good night’s rest during your recent stay with us. If you are available I would welcome the opportunity to get additional feedback regarding your stay. Please feel free to contact me at 952-935-5500.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

My reservation was in the system, but my room was not what I ordered. The front desk called to tell me that the room rate was awful high for the room I was in, and she could adjust the rate or move my room. I chose to stay in the room. Apparently she couldn't get this resolved on the rate, She said she would take care of it as soon as she could. I got the bill under my door about 4am and it was incorrect. When I went to the desk to check out I explained the issue to the desk morning lady and in 5 minutes the issues were fixed apologies levied and I was on my way.

I recommend this hotel as the rooms were nice, clean, and Marriott quality that is typical. If I come back to Minneapolis I will make sure to enjoy the concierge floor and services. Everyone was very helpful, nice, and made you feel like you were at home with their quality!!!!

Thank you Marriott Southwest Minneapolis, you could teach the Marriott West Minneapolis a lot !!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

I am very glad to hear that the front desk staff delivered exceptional service while you stayed with us. Thank you also for the comments regarding your room being clean. Our staff takes great pride in its ability to provide a clean room and excellent service. Please accept my apologies for the issue with your bill not being correct the first time. I hope that we can be your host again next time you are in town.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

This hotel is located like an oasis in the middle of a corporate giants headquarters. There is nothing much else nearby to attract you and absolutely nowhere within walking distance so I guess a large proportion of guests are visiting he aforementioned corporation.

I have stayed in the hotel quite a few times over the last 7 years. It is a typical Marriott hotel. It has decent sized functional rooms though on this trip mine had a strange smell. Couldn't quite work out what it was. Not so bad I felt the need to complain but enough that I still remember it now.

Staff are fine.

Big mark against - wifi charges. I consider this robbery and will point it out every time I stay in a hotel that charges. The Marriott not only charges, but charges a lot. No need for it in this day and age. A rip off.

Bar - the most soul-less aspect of the hotel. It was much better the way it used to be. I arrived on a Sunday and had 2 beers waiting on my dinner. It was so quiet I was almost afraid to put my bottle down on the marble bar in case it made too much noise. The bar staff were good, but the bar itself is far from a fun place.

The restaurant looked very dark, maybe even closed when I arrived not terribly late on the Sunday evening too which I found odd.

It is handy if you are visiting the nearby offices but otherwise there much be cheerier places to stay.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your stay with us. Please rest assured that I have shared your comments with the appropriate team members and we are working on ways to improve the experience for future guests. Your kind words regarding the bar staff have also been shared with the bar team. Thank you for your long term loyalty.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one Sat night to celebrate our anniversary. When making the reservations he had asked to be put on the highest level of the hotel as possible, because from reading another review apparently the 14-17th floors are "key card accessible only", which they do not tell you about. So we thought it would be fun to be on one of those floors. Apparently the highest floor they had was 7, which was fine, just not as exciting as being on one of the card accessible only floors. The room was nice and updated. Ill list the pros and cons to make this easier :)

Pro's:
-The bed was VERY comfortable. They give you a ton of pillows and I just loved it. Although I really enjoy a softer mattress, so for someone (like my boyfriend) who doesn't, this may be too soft.
-They offer room service. *Note about this in cons area*
-Our room was right next to the elevators and ice machine, so no long walks to and from for
us!
-We requested to check out an hour late (1pm instead of 12pm) at the last minute, which they were fine with. *Note about this in the cons area*
-The restaurant/bar area downstairs looked fun and was full up on Sat night.
-You could tell there was a wedding going on in the hotel somewhere, but we never heard a peep out of anyone, no noisy neighbors, etc.

Cons:
-No free WiFi! What kind of hotel in this day and age makes you pay for it?! And it was outrageously expensive! $10/DAY!
-The bathroom could use updating, saw some stains around the fixtures, overall just looked a little outdated and used.
-While they had room service, just from looking at the menu in the room it was very expensive. I can't rate how the food was because we didn't order any (because of the price).
-They let us check out an hour late (yay!) but house keeping still knocked VERY loudly on the door at 12:05ish to come in. So obviously they didn't communicate our change to them.

Overall it was a good one night stay in a nice hotel, nothing crazy awesome about it, but nothing to seriously complain about (other than the $10/day WiFi, we thought that was pretty insane).

Room Tip: Specifically request a room on the 14-17th floors, they are key card accessible only.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Based on your comments about no noise and comfortable bed it sounds like you were able to get a good night’s rest. As you noted the bar/restaurant area is a popular place, I hope you were able to visit. Please accept my apologies for the lack of execution on the late check-out. I have shared your feedback with the housekeeping manager and we are working on ways to resolve. I hope you stay with us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Minnetonka
Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis / West-Minnetonka
La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis-Minnetonka
Sheraton Minneapolis West Hotel
Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West
Home2 Suites by Hilton Minneapolis-Eden Prairie
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Eden Prairie

Been to Minneapolis Marriott Southwest? Share your experiences!