“A nice, no frill hotel.”

Days Inn Monticello
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Monticello
Grafton, North Dakota, United States
“A nice, no frill hotel.”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We spend 3 nights at the Days Inn in Monticello. I chose this location because it was close to a wedding we were attending, and it was a good price. If you're looking for a 5 star hotel, this is not for you. If you want a good 3 star, this is it. I had no problems with the hotel.
We checked in on Thursday night. The checkin process was smooth. The lobby is small. It also serves as the breakfast area. If there's a crowd for breakfast it could make for tight seating.
The room was not that bad. We had 2 queen size beds, a refrigerator and a coffee maker. The beds were very comfortable. I normally have a tough time sleeping in motels, but this was good. The pillows were also good. Many motels have very small, soft pillows that aren't worth a darn, But these were good.
The fixtures in the room were a bit date. The "dresser" was quite old and worn. It didn't want to close well, but wasn't a big deal. The fridge had seen better days, but it kept things good and cold. The air conditioner was a noisy wall unit. It was quite old. When it ran on low, it was loud. If you turned the speed higher, it got noisier. But it worked well and kept the room comfortable.
The bathroom was a bit cramped. The toiler is close to the tub/shower. There was not a lot of space. The sink area was also small. The towels were fair. They weren't real rough like some hotel/motel towels.
I can't comment on the breakfast as we didn't make it down on time. If i were to make a comment it would be on the hours...6 to 9am. It didn't look like they had extended hours for the weekend.
As for the hotel in general, it was good and quiet--there wasn't a lot of noise from other rooms. I wouldn't have any troubles staying here again.

1 Thank Brian V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I needed to be in Monticello for a long stay in order to settle family business. The Days Inn is, literally within walking distance of two other hotels and the cost was well below the others but for such a long stay I needed to choose Days Inn simply to save money, after all I was here for business not to hang around a hotel all day. I am very, very pleased with my choice. My room was just fine, clean, no smell, clean linens, comfortable bed. Room is quiet, has a fridge, microwave and coffee maker with coffee provided. Breakfast is provided, coffee, juice, cereal, toast, and muffins, very sufficient. I had one issue with the air conditioner when I first got there, I reported it and then next day when I returned I found it to be fixed but on top of that the owner called me on the phone to double check that the repair was made and to my satisfaction. That is excellent customer service!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jody B
Monticello
Reviewed 12 June 2014

When we first arrived in the room, the toilet did not flush. My husband saw the problem and restored water to the tank. At 3:oo am , again the toilet did not flush. When I complained at check out time the Manager was very nice and said she could have moved us to another room -- at 3am? However, she was really very nice and gave us a $10 discount -- $10? You asked!

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Woodbury
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I booked my room months in advance after reading probably few reviews about this hotel.
I knew to expect that there were some Issues. However I got a great deal, so the old saying of 'You get what you pay for' comes into play. I stayed a total of five days and saved around $120, so for the price I paid I found the room acceptable.
More things that were better than I'd expected from reading other reviews. Air conditioning unit worked just fine. Flat Panel TV with variety of channels with HBO.WF-FI set ups and Speed was perfect to stream movies & browsing. Beds were perfect , room odor was fine, and room was quiet and clean. House keeper clean our room all the days during our stays. Front desk were courteous and helpful. All in all, I'd come here if you need to save money.
It's not too bad, just don'

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I recently booked online and stayed at this hotel. I selected this hotel because I would be travelling with my toddler and my pet, and this hotel offers "suites" which have a separate bedroom where my toddler could nap, and I could get some work done. It seemed ideal online! I went ahead and booked a room for us and our in-laws.

Upon arrival, we had just driven 3 hours, and were hoping to check in and let our little one take a nap. But I was immediately informed that our pet was not allowed in the non-smoking suite we had booked. (Though nothing online had indicated that, and no one had contacted me ahead of time to inform me...) The woman at the desk spoke broken English, but I gathered that pets were only supposed to be in smoking rooms, however they were sold out and I could not move to a smoking room anyway. (Which is good because I am pregnant and was not wishing to breathe in second hand smoke all night). After I inquired about what I should do with my pet now, since we were three hours from home, she said she'd call her manager, but there'd most likely be a much larger pet fee applied to the room. (Great...)

So we checked into our room. The "suite" was large, but not very welcoming or accommodating. It was straight out of the 80s. Poor carpeting, dated furniture, dated bedding, wallpaper border, PINK bathtub, etc. The main part of the room looked as if it used to have a kitchenette in there, but now there was just a queen bed, box tv, dated couch, and dated arm chair. (No table-- not even a coffee table, so don't expect to eat in there or play cards, etc.)

We attempted to put our son down for nap, but came across some loose electrical cords that were hanging out of the wall, so we were nervous to leave him in the separate bedroom area unattended.

My in-laws checked in later at night, and found their room to be not clean. The bed was completely unmade. When they notified the front desk, the employee acted as if they were lying before finally moving them to an alternate room.

In the morning, I woke up and took our son to have "breakfast" in the lobby. "Breakfast" included stale muffins, two types of cereal (nothing sweet), and a loaf of store bought bread. Your coffee options were "regular", "regular", or "regular" (too bad if you wanted decaf) And your juice option was orange. I was up and wandering around from 7-10am, with both my son, and letting the dog out, and not ONCE did I see any employees manning the front desk. My in-laws wanted to pay for their room on a different card at check out, but since there were seemingly NO employees on duty, that was impossible.

Overall, it was just not a welcoming or enjoyable experience. We most certainly will not be back, nor will we recommend this location to others. Which is too bad because Wyndham is such a great brand. This property is definitely bringing the others down.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Monticello hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monticello
Super 8 Monticello
Becker Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Becker
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albertville
Americas Best Value Inn Clearwater

Been to Days Inn Monticello? Share your experiences!