“If you decide to stay here, bring a sleeping bag and a cot...”

Best Northland Prairie Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Morris
Reviewed 22 September 2013

When I booked this hotel, I was told there was a $25 per night pet fee. I planned to stay one night on a business trip as a pass through town and thought, "how bad could it be?" When I booked the room over the phone, I advised them I was booking for myself and my dog. They said was $99/night + pet fee. When I checked in, I didn't remind them of my dog, and they did not discuss it. After walking into the room, there was absolutely no way I was going to accept a $25 pet charge...which one would assume is a cleaning fee. This hotel room was very unclean, and there was no way possible any pet fee was ever used for cleaning. They obviously don't move things around to vaccuum. My dog was sniffing out and eating all sorts of "leftovers" she could find in the nooks and cranies of the floor. I was so grossed out. This is the type of hotel that you need to put shoes on to get out of bed in the morning.

The good:
Pet friendly hotel
...yep, that's all I can think of

The bad:
- The room floor had stains all over it. Spill stains...dog pee...everything.
- The blankets on the beds were tattered and falling apart.
- The bed sheets were very worn and old - pretty much see-through.
- They still have the same "bed spreads" (I didn't know those existed anymore) from the 1970s.
- Shower/tub had hard water stains and was dingy...just needed a deep cleaning which no one has done in a very long time.
- Old Tube TV
- Hallways were like walking through a hot dungeon.
- Trash all over outside.
- Exterior's landscape was incredibly overgrown and full of tall weeds that obviously no one ever maintained.

Conclusion: $99 was WAY too much for this dump. I've stayed at nicer places for $50/night. They had a wedding there the weekend I was there. Who in their right mind would have a wedding in this rat hole??

In the end, I didn't get charged a pet fee (likely cuz they didn't realize), and I would have refused to pay it if they did charge me. If you decide to stay here, bring a sleeping bag and a cot.

The sacrifices I make to travel with my dog...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Hingy7

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We have given very few negative hotel reviews but this one derserved it. Stained sheets and no lock on the door. Also exterior doors did not lock so anyone can come in. Room was dirty. Hair all over bathroom floor. Yuck. Not staying there again!

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank Corpy1210
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Worst hotel I have ever stayed at! The room smelled so badly of smoke and mildew that the first thing I did was drive to a store to buy Fabreeze and a scented candle so we could even stand to be in the room. The hallway outside our room smelled so much like cat pee we would hold our nose and run for the outside door. Stayed for two nights, did not get maid service at all, had to go to the front desk for towels. Room door did not always lock. One of my kids got head lice and the other a bacterial infection from the dirty pool - a rash on her legs showed up @10 days after our stay, the doctor took one look and asked if she had been in a swimming pool or hot tub 1-2 weeks ago. This was the only pool she was in the entire summer. I complained of horrible room when I was there and was told they would comp my room. A week later I was charged for the room. I have been trying for almost three weeks to get my money back, but keep getting the run around from the staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Dee251
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Construction crews have taken over this place. Tobacco spit is everywhere . . . by the door as you enter the facility, in the hallways, and in the common areas. Watch where you walk. Loud base music played beyond sunset from the many crew vehicles. Workers drank in the parking lot throughout the evening. Beer cans, bottles, and caps are everywhere. Sign says that that external doors are locked for the guests' safety but are open 24/7. When we went outside to our vehicle to obtain articles, we were approached by the workers requesting unheard of services from us. The area is totally booked because of road construction and the destruction of a local school. Regardless of the non-smoking room, smoke fills the air through the vents and hallways. Construction workers walk through the halls while smoking. One bar of soap for a party of three. Coffee pot in the room still had the prior guest's coffee and filter in it. Tall weeds are growing in the sidewalks. Parking lot has deep holes throughout and are difficult to avoid while driving. Sleep fast and get out of here!

Room Tip: No room may be occupied safely!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank NeilRocks
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Where do I even start with our story and experience? It was absolutely the worst motel we have ever experienced in years! I called one week in advance for a reservation, as my son was going to visit the U of M College in Morris. The Super 8 was full, so this was our only option if we wanted to stay in town for our early appointment at the college. When we arrived, the gal couldn’t find our reservation anywhere. No worries, another room is available. The lobby was filthy, the walls were extremely dirty and the place stunk everywhere. The pool was down for maintenance. We got into our room and I inspected the bathroom first. The sink, tub and toilet were clean (thank God). The bathroom floor hadn’t been swept in a long time. The carpet felt sticky on the feet and the room was really humid (was a pool side room). We got the A/C running, hoping the humidity would get better. There was so much dirt around the mopboards, on the walls and on the woodwork. When we went to bed, the sheets felt wet because of the humidity. The box springs and mattresses were the worst I have ever seen. They were extremely stained and worn out. It was so terrible, but we were a late arrival because of traveling time and thought we would just wing it for the night. The next morning, we checked out early to go to the college and I gave my feedback to the gal at the front desk that we would never be back. The whole place was filthy. Now, three weeks later, I went to pay my credit card bill and wouldn’t you know that I was charged not only for our one room, but two nights of someone else’s room. So I picked up the phone and called to get it straightened out. Oh yea, some kind of computer glitch where the computer thought we stayed a couple extra days. I don’t believe it for a second, as it was too separate charges and both on the same date that we checked out. I told them loud and clear that this is an act of fraud that they did by charging my credit card for $165 that I did not authorize or sign for. Believe me; I am reporting them to their city Chamber of Commerce. What an embarrassment to their town and to their beautiful college facility. I agree, this is a rat trap and they are over charging everyone for staying at a total dump. I am fine with older motels, but not filthy dirty ones. This motel needs to hire some people that actually know how to clean. We just recently stayed somewhere else in a small town by St. Cloud in a Super 8. It was old, but absolutely spotless and so clean. I told the cleaning lady that I very much appreciated the clean rooms and shared our experience at this terrible motel in Morris, MN. Shame on the owners of this Best Northland Prairie Inn! The place should be closed down. I’ll be checking my credit card for my credit of being over charged. Should they not follow through, I will turn them in to the Better Business Bureau in a heartbeat. Best advice, if you can’t get a room at the Super 8, drive farther to a different town to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank J E
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This is by far the worst hotel I've ever been to. The employees do not know what they're doing and are rude and incompetent. When we were checking out four of the employes quit and walked out. The maintenance guys are creepy to say the least and were smoking inside the hotel. We had to switch rooms because our door would not lock. The room we switched into smelled so strongly of smoke and pee that my eyes and throat burned. The bathroom was filthy and so were the beds. There were stains on all the sheets and the curtains and walls were also stained. The pool was ok but the rocks in the floor were mushy in some places and the whole room smelled. The maintenance guys tried to get into a member of our party's room at 2 am and would not leave her alone. The cops were eventually called. The restaurant was awful and the staff were unhelpful. There was one person there when we went for breakfast and we were charged almost 30 dollars (for three people) even though we just each ate a few bites of the buffet before stopping because it was so terrible an badly cooked. The whole hotel was awful and sketchy, absolutely do not come to this hotel under any circumstance. If you have things to do in Morris it is definitely worth the extra drive each day to Saint Cloud where there are real hotels that you can feel safe in.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Travelingdiva889
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Upon entering this hotel, one is greeted immediately with broken glass and the very strong smell of cat urine. The hallway was filfthy and stinky. Our room was actually not too bad, newer carpet, paint and fixtures, but walls and windows were thin, so lots of noise from inside and outside the hotel filtering in. We were with a group attending a wedding and most of their rooms were atrocious. The bride and groom requested the honeymoon suite and instead got a room with ceiling tiles COVERED in black mold. Another guest in our party had to vacate their room because water was flowing in from another guests shower. The room rate was $95 per night - they should have paid us to stay there, it was that bad. Do not recommend staying here under any circumstances.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank tamara B

Been to Best Northland Prairie Inn? Share your experiences!