See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 June 2015

My family has been going to Pine Beach along with another family for over a decade. The owner, Anne and her family couldn't be nicer, and they take really good care of the resort. In response to previous negative reviews, this particular resort is not the place for excessive drinking and partying-- It is a community of families where people go to relax and enjoy nature.

5  Thank Ali G
PineBeachResort, Owner at Pine Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2015

Thank you for your kind words. From children to adults, it makes my heart sing to see the difference Pine Beach Resort has made in the lives of others. We are a Minnesota family resort. Anne-Owner, Pine Beach Resort

Reviewed 4 June 2015

I have been a Pine Beach veteran for nearly 25 summers. This place holds the fondest memories of my childhood - kickball games, sand castle contests, learning to water ski, and eating s'mores while watching the sunset. There is a whole program of kid-friendly activities each week.

Now as an adult, I love starting my days with a bike ride along the Heartland State Trail (only a mile from the resort), spending the afternoon reading on the beach, and partaking in evening boat rides as the loons float along side the boat. I still try to make it to the Monday campfire to meet the other guests each week though!

The cabins are simple, cozy, and quaint. I love sleeping with the windows open and falling asleep to the sounds of nature. All of the cabins have decks which provide an ideal location to sip coffee in the morning.

I've known the caretaker Anne for nearly 20 years and each summer she warmly welcomes us back into the haven she's created in Nevis. She's a kind and caring woman - this space is her passion.

If you're looking to disconnect from your day-to-day stresses and reconnect with family/friends, this your place! Vintage has become a trendy word, but it's a fantastic way to describe the family-friendly resort that transports you back to a day before internet (or even TV) directed life. This is a true taste of up north Minnesota!

6  Thank Elizabeth L

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of Pine Beach Resort. We know that we can't be all things to all people but we try our best to be a safe, peaceful family resort for "down time" vacations. I am glad to read that you approve. Anne-Owner, Pine Beach Resort

Reviewed 4 June 2015

I've read some of the other reviews and I feel like they were just not at the right place. If you want to drink a bunch and have every amenity in the world, then Pine Beach isn't the place for you. If you want a relaxing, down-to-earth, getaway where you can enjoy simple pleasures, quiet and nature -- this is the place for you. My family has been going every summer for the past 23 years (YES, 23 YEARS) and though we've always thought that maybe one summer we might try something else, we always come back to the idea that the relaxation that we feel at Pine Beach (even though some of the cabins are more rustic, smaller, etc) just wouldn't be accomplished elsewhere. My sisters and I are all grown now and we live all over the country but for one week every July we come back to this place. For a family vacation, you really can't beat it.

6  Thank CMLJPDX

Thank you so much for your kind words and wonderful review of Pine Beach Resort. We are a family resort , first and foremost and I am grateful that you took the time to post about your experience. We have our niche that works best and you are "spot on" what we are all about. Anne-Owner, Pine Beach Resort

Reviewed 6 January 2015

Pine Beach is a simple, vintage family resort which was just what I was looking for. Memories of my childhood came flooding back when I saw the wonderful clear water and beautiful swimming beach upon arrival.
The well kept cabin was clean, neat and tidy. I felt transported back to the 60-70s with it's simplicity but it had everything we needed. After we unpacked and sat down on the deck to watch the sunset, I felt myself exhaling and completely relaxing.
During our week's stay we found the owner and staff to be attentive and accommodating, showing us where we could get access to Wi-Fi and answering questions about places to eat, grocery shopping etc. We found the owner very pleasant and helpful, not at all rude.
Pine Beach Resort is a beautiful resort, set in an amazing park-like setting. It is not a resort for large groups who want to party. That is made very clear on their website. It is a place to unwind, decompress and relax which is exactly why we chose it. I am glad that we did. We will be back next year. They just don't make resorts like this one anymore.

Room Tip: They have two types of cabins, water's edge and cabins with fireplaces set up from the water. The water's edge cabins, 1-9 are active and the fireplace cabins 10-15 are peaceful and serene. All are directly on the water with wonderful views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Susan N

Thank you for your kind comments. We are a family owned business and try our best to create an environment for relaxing and forgetting the world of work. I hope you achieved that with your stay here at Pine Beach Resort. We are a Minnesota family resort. Anne-Owner, Pine Beach Resort

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Selected this resort from internet searches and a phone call to the proprietor. She was quite pleasant over the phone, willing to let us rent a cabin meant for four at a twosome rate, and gushing about the amenities of her location. Reservations were made two months in advance - had to mail her a check for half of our 3 night stay as she would not take a credit card deposit.

Fast forward to a few days prior to arrival. We now have a foursome. I receive an email listing out EVERYTHING that we would be required to provide on our own. This list included, but was not limited to, towels (not so usual), garbage can liners (really?), floor fans (you’re kidding, right?) and toilet paper (did I read that correctly? OMG - yes I did!) These were but a few on the list of about 30 items.

Recovering from the shock of these lengthy requirements and packing practically everything except the proverbial kitchen sink for our trip, we arrived at the resort to find goats standing on the picnic tables, multiple cats lounging and napping in the office and only area where the WIFI would work, and a tangled mess of a dog that we were told would insist upon your attention by nudging you in mostly very private body parts.

Did I mention that the GPS coordinates to find this place were exactly wrong? The proprietor said, yeah we haven't told Garmin about that yet. Neither was it mentioned on their website. We had been directed to voicemail when we called the proprietor to obtain directions, so we stopped at a different resort to ask in person. Mentioning the voicemail to the proprietor at check in, we were told she had a “kitten emergency” and was unable to answer our call. She knew we were scheduled to arrive around that time frame yet left no one in charge of the office in her absence.

The cabin: a bit small to house four adults comfortably. Decorated with every fabric type and pattern imaginable for curtains, floor coverings and furniture -- all in the same room; was dizzying to look at. (Advertised as comfortable country décor). Photographs of unknown people on the walls. Very poor (and dusty) framed needlework adorned walls in every room. Bunk beds AND a double bed crammed into one of the bedrooms; old, very much used furniture, and bedding well beyond its useful life. Cooking equipment not worthy of a thrift shop, some with questionable cleanliness. Good thing we brought along an extension cord: 1) the supplied coffee maker would not fit under the kitchen cabinet where the only electric outlet resided in that area, so we moved it to the kitchen table to plug in; and 2) there were no electrical outlets in the bathroom so we strung the extension cord under the bathroom door to use hair dryers, shavers, etc., in there. Saving grace for the cabin was the large, covered deck and the lake access just a few feet away.

Our departure was almost as rocky as our arrival. Again, we had a lengthy to-do list, including unplugging the refrigerator. What? Ok, I’m think I’m done with this place.

On a positive note, this resort does have some worthwhile amenities: there is a nice swimming beach; various water “toys”; paddle boats and kayaks; bicycles; games; and so on, that can be used by residents at no additional cost. We didn’t like that daytime visitors had to pay a fee and were expected to leave by 6pm, but for a family-oriented resort, that’s probably a fine way to maintain some sense of order, peace and quiet.

So, if packing up nearly the entire household to spend some time at a “comfortable country” lake cabin is your recipe for a great getaway, do make a trip to the Pine Beach Resort. Don’t forget your GPS – oh wait, it won’t navigate you to the correct location anyway. One less thing to pack maybe?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends