“Good food and good beer!”

Barley John's Brew Pub
Ranked #3 of 29 Restaurants in New Brighton
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours
“Good food and good beer!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We've been to Barley John's many times, and the food and beer are very enjoyable. The place is fairly small and not very fancy, but the food is surprisingly good, and they always have some great beers made onsite. I highly recommend it.

• Visited September 2013

Ames, Iowa
“I LOVE this place!”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Sadly, I don't live very close to Barley John's anymore but whenever I am in the Twin Cities, I make a point of stopping by. Ok, where to start. Oh yes, beer. These guys know how to make beer. I have been drinking good beer all my life and I really do know what it is meant to taste like. The brewers at Barley John's know that too. When I am driving I will have two pints of the Little Barley Bitter - I believe it is just 3.6% ABV. Who knew beer at that strength could taste so good. The Little Barley is a great session beer. And then there is everything else, way too much to talk about here so I will skip all the mid-range stuff and go right to Dark Knight or Old Rosie - these bourbon-barrel aged beers come in at the lower teens ABV and are unbelievable delicious! I liken these beers to a nice glass of port. Barley John's produces some of the best beers I have ever come across in this country and, like I said, I have been drinking beer a long time. This is a small place, the bar is tiny. But, you can guarantee a good conversations every time you go in. Service is not fast, in many ways it reminds me of a British pub. But you know what, want fast food then go to McDonald's. In the summer, seating doubles with the use of their patio. Hop plants provide shade and in the evening a fire pit provides warmth. Food? They have some wonderful pizza. My favorite in the Chipotle Pizza. A word of warning though, if you become a regular, they may ask if you would like to upgrade the 'heat' on this pizza. From experience, I would not advise this. Consuming said upgraded pizza was a good challenge and a real adventure. Unfortunately, there is nothing nice I can say about the day after! To summarize, Barley John's is a real gem of a place - I miss it greatly now I am 200 miles away!

• Visited December 2013
New Brighton, Minnesota
“Pizza & More”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Barley John's was our daughter and son-in-law's favorite date night place when they lived with us in New Brighton. They both love a good beer, and Barley John's has a few of them. Their seasonal beers are very fun to try. The pizza is delicious. Service is excellent. Servers are not only attentive, but they know a lot about the beers. Having been introduced by our kids, we enjoy the place as well. It's also a fun place for after work on a Friday afternoon.

• Visited July 2013
minnesota
“best food in new brighton”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

always good fresh food with a reliable take on gourmet pub food.
the beer is great - barley johns has been doing this concept long before the new taproom craze in the cities. the hops vine out on the patio in summer is really pretty too.

Visited September 2013
Beverly Hills, Florida
“Good Brew”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Taste their beer made on premises. They have seasonal beers, constantly changing, worth multiple repeat visits. They also have outdoor seating, like a beer garden and hops growing around the perimeter. Can get a bit noisy, the place is at a county road intersection. A selection of meals complements their offering. Overall a great place, the beer is worth it.

• Visited September 2013