“Rough around the edges”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Ulm
Colonial Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in New Ulm
New York City, New York
“Rough around the edges”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

I love supporting friendly, family-owned motels and this is no exception. I got a clean room with wireless for a good rate ($45), but I was dissatisfied with several little things that lead to my two-star (below average) review, most of which would fall under 'maintenance and attention to detail':

1. The room smelled like some previous stayers had dogs. I'm not fond of dog smell.
2. The deadbolt didn't work. Not sure if that was intentional or not, but you turn the latch and nothing happens. That was a bit disconcerting.
3. The toilet seat was loose. Figured someone would've noticed that.
4. The sink drained very slowly.
5. I was concerned for longer than two minutes that my shower would turn out to be lukewarm at best. After a while the hot water kicked in.
6. I could smell an essence of cigarettes in the shower. Not sure how that's possible.

I also experienced road noise at night that made it difficult to get back to sleep.

That said, the bathroom was newly remodeled and pretty nice. The room had cable and a fridge and microwave -- always appreciated. Perhaps my experiences were unique to my room. However, if given the opportunity to spend a bit more at another location than to receive this room again, I would take it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Marshalltown, IA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

We just stayed overnight. It was good enough for that at the price. Owners are very friendly and helpful. Room was clean except for a very stained and ugly looking carpet. This place is obviously older and a few things have been done to spruce it up a little. If you're really picky or are wanting to stay longer than 1 day, I wouldn't stay here. But if you want a relatively clean place to stay overnight for a great price, this is it. Oh, and fyi - there aren't any phones in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

And most of all-comfortable beds. A very good Mexican Restaurant just two blocks west of the motel on US 14. The myriad of birds will wake you gently at sunrise.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank EricO794
Courtland,Mn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Of New Ulm,Mn.,is my "home away from home",as I am a long-haul Truck Driver,and I have yet to find in the U.S. a room with the rates which are here,and the friendliness,and helpfulness,of the Staff here simply cannot be beat..

Room Tip: Call ahead of time.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Brian N
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

My husband and I stayed for our 20th anniversary. I only choose this place because of other the other trip advisor comments. I was very pleased! We needed an escape from our kids and the world and that is exactly what we got. Our room was remodeled and very comfortable. The owner Brandon was very helpful and attenative. I would love to stay again! Thank you!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CoodlasMama
Lees Summit
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Room was old & torn up. Bed comforter had cigarette burn holes in it. Room reeked heavily of smoke. Shower was stained and delapitated. Not worth it, even at $50-$60 per night.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jacomo

Travellers are raving about these New Ulm hotels

Burnsville, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

I reserved a room at the Colonial Inn earlier this month and was very surprised with what we got and what we paid for. I felt we got more than what we should have!! At check in, we spoke with the owner, Brandon, and he was very polite and informative. He gave us tips on what to do for our quick stay. The room was very clean and furnished with comfortable/clean furniture. Brandon did state that he is still in the works of remodeling the place, but what he has done so far is spectacular!! He should be proud of the reputation he is building there in New Ulm! I will definitely recommend this motel to others!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Econo Lodge New Ulm
Econo Lodge New Ulm
#2 of 5 in New Ulm
Deutsche Strasse Bed & Breakfast

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!