“Ask for a Remodeled Room”
Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Ulm
Colonial Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in New Ulm
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Yes, it's cheap. It seemed to be filled with mostly workers that travel during the week. We asked for a remodeled room and I am very glad we did. The beds were fine, but the carpet was filthy. The bathroom had the last renters soap left out and it appeared to have been cleaned by a 10 year old. The couple was young and friendly, but in way over their heads. I want to say better things, but I can't. This place needs a professional to restore the place, not just an enthusiastic couple.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank husie

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I booked a room here based on price and rating. The room was overall dirty, smelled of bleach. Took a shower and there was hair in there that did not belong to me. In the bathroom they apparently only clean with the door open and do not clean behind the door. The caulking in the bathroom is discussing, moldy and dirty. The bed is basically a step above sleeping on cardboard with springs and the Pillows are flatter than the blanket. I paid extra for the "Newly remodeled room, I would hate to see the rooms that have not been remodeled. I do not recommend this

Room Tip: Go someplace else.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank justmehere2day
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I love supporting friendly, family-owned motels and this is no exception. I got a clean room with wireless for a good rate ($45), but I was dissatisfied with several little things that lead to my two-star (below average) review, most of which would fall under 'maintenance and attention to detail':

1. The room smelled like some previous stayers had dogs. I'm not fond of dog smell.
2. The deadbolt didn't work. Not sure if that was intentional or not, but you turn the latch and nothing happens. That was a bit disconcerting.
3. The toilet seat was loose. Figured someone would've noticed that.
4. The sink drained very slowly.
5. I was concerned for longer than two minutes that my shower would turn out to be lukewarm at best. After a while the hot water kicked in.
6. I could smell an essence of cigarettes in the shower. Not sure how that's possible.

I also experienced road noise at night that made it difficult to get back to sleep.

That said, the bathroom was newly remodeled and pretty nice. The room had cable and a fridge and microwave -- always appreciated. Perhaps my experiences were unique to my room. However, if given the opportunity to spend a bit more at another location than to receive this room again, I would take it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We just stayed overnight. It was good enough for that at the price. Owners are very friendly and helpful. Room was clean except for a very stained and ugly looking carpet. This place is obviously older and a few things have been done to spruce it up a little. If you're really picky or are wanting to stay longer than 1 day, I wouldn't stay here. But if you want a relatively clean place to stay overnight for a great price, this is it. Oh, and fyi - there aren't any phones in the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2012

And most of all-comfortable beds. A very good Mexican Restaurant just two blocks west of the motel on US 14. The myriad of birds will wake you gently at sunrise.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank EricO794
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Of New Ulm,Mn.,is my "home away from home",as I am a long-haul Truck Driver,and I have yet to find in the U.S. a room with the rates which are here,and the friendliness,and helpfulness,of the Staff here simply cannot be beat..

Room Tip: Call ahead of time.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Brian N
Reviewed 3 August 2011

My husband and I stayed for our 20th anniversary. I only choose this place because of other the other trip advisor comments. I was very pleased! We needed an escape from our kids and the world and that is exactly what we got. Our room was remodeled and very comfortable. The owner Brandon was very helpful and attenative. I would love to stay again! Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple