“Wonderful private and relaxing time”
Review of Whistle Stop B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New York Mills
Whistle Stop B & B
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We had a great time staying in the Palace Car. My husband and I went for my birthday, and it was a unique, very relaxing time and very private. The whirlpool tub was great, always a nice feature for an intimate evening. Though the trains went by very frequently day and night, I did not find it disturbing or annoying, but very fitting since we were in a train car! I actually enjoyed hearing the trains go by. We also enjoyed the very small town and ate dinner at the bowling alley. I love the small town culture. I would stay again some day.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

This is my 15th stay at the Whistle Stop in the past 11 years. It is always a wonderful and memorable stay. We have stayed at several dozen B&B's from Victoria, BC to San Diego to St. Augustine to Ipswich, MA and the breakfasts at the Whistle Stop are among the very best. Jan & Lori are very accommodating of special dietary requests - vegetarian, gluten-free, lactose intolerance. We especially love staying during the winter when you look out to see the snowy landscape and the horses across the street snorting and running in their pasture. We enjoy visiting with the other guests at breakfast and sometimes have hard time getting on the road by the 11 AM check-out time. We love train travel, and it seems like we've taken a trip.

Room Tip: The Viking, Palace, and Imperial cars are close to the tracks, so if you don't like the rail noi...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My grandson and I had a great expience in the perfectly restored "Palace Car". I love the magic of trains and my 5 yr old grandson is a bit obsessed with them. As we arrived the car was warm and cozy with relaxing music playing. The breakfast was great and well presented served right in the train car. The charm of the car is amazing. Jann, the Innkeeper was warm and accommodating as was her niece. They let us look inside the caboose that may be out next adventure. The Great Northern tracks are a block away and uses a loud whistle, but I sitll slept fairly well. Once I awoke to the clatter of the rails as a train passed and I felt that I was actually in a train myself!. The morning as we ate the table vibrated a little as a train passed and that added to the experience. To get more than a simple early meal go to Perham, another railroad town 9 miles away. We spent a lot of time at the tracks waiting for and watching trains go by. That may sound corny but my grandson felt it was the "coolest" thing he had ever seen. The wi Fi was not working and they are working on that but it was actually good to get away from my I pad!

Room Tip: any but the caboose is small and the ceiling is about 6 ft 6 in
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2012

My wife and I stayed the first night in the Great Northern suite upstairs in the house and the following night in the Viking car. Both the suite and train car were absolutely beautiful and allowed us to totally relax. The breakfast's were excellent and we truly enjoyed visiting with Jann and Lori and other guests. We enjoyed the trains going by and it added to the relaxation. We both slept so soundly and felt totally revived after the weekend. We were able to see the other cars before leaving and we definitely plan on coming back and try the other cars. Each has there own beauty and individuality. Wonderful place

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We really enjoy the ambiance and the hospitality of the Whistle Stop. The music of the trains rolling by with whistle's blaring are part of the nostalgia as far as I am concerned. Once I am asleep, however, I don't hear them. Mary does wake up sometimes to the whistles but falls back to sleep. We always have great stays here and we keep coming back. Jann serves fantastic breakfasts. This place is unique. The staff makes sure we are comfortable as well.

Steve O

1  Thank Stephen O
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I needed time away - quiet time - alone time. Got it and so much more. The breakfast was fantastic. The Imperial Coach was out of this world. I have trains in my blood and I loved the ambiance and the "real" train close by just made it that more fantastic. Jann was wonderful and she showed me around the other rail cars. I will return in December for my second trip. Loved it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2012

The Whistle Stop is so lovely. We had great service, and our stay was very relaxing.
I suprised my husband for our second anniversary and he definitely was surprised! He couldn't believe we got a whole beautifully restored train car to ourselves. We loved it.

Room Tip: I thought our Palace car was definitely the classiest. They are all beautiful, but I was very happy...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Been to Whistle Stop B & B? Share your experiences!