“Took my breath away”
Review of Whistle Stop B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New York Mills
Whistle Stop B & B
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed here after a long weekend of travel and business in the Alexandria, MN, area. The Palace Car was sort of my reward to myself for a lot of work done in the past couple of months... seemed like a nice kickoff for the holidays. I was NOT wrong! I love antiques and I love trains. Best of both worlds. When I walked into the Palace Car, exhausted from the work and having driven just over an hour, it just knocked the breath out of me. It was lit beautifully, warm (November in Minnesota), and there was soft music playing. I kept walking from end to end just taking it all in. I had a nice long evening with no real reason to get up early. Delicious breakfast was served to the car and I took my time before my drive to the Fargo airport. I WILL be back... but not soon enough!

JM, Indiana

Room Tip: For true Victorian elegance, consider the Palace or Imperial Car.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Judy M

Reviewed 31 October 2013

If you're in the New York Mills, Perham area I wouldn't stay anywhere other than the Whistle Stop B&B. With beautifully renovated train cars, tastefully appointed rooms in the main house and a cozy cottage there are plenty of options for how to stay, all with a perfect B&B feel.

We were there with a large family so we had the two train cars, two rooms in the house and the cottage. Everything was cozy and comfortable. The breakfast too was absolutely delicious. As other reviewers have noted, they also accommodated a gluten free need.

And finally, there's Pumpkin, the resident watermelon eating cat. As sweet and (for little hand) as can be.

Hands down, the best place to stay in the area.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2013

4 of us in the cabin. Comfortable, decorated nice, brought breakfast out to us. Very nice breakfast. Very accomadating because some of us needed dairy & gluten free food.
Allowed us to tour 2 of the 4 railcars and they were fabulous! Would go back with hubby and stay in one of those. Also toured the upstairs rooms and they were beautiful!
We signed up for the high tea that afternoon and it was worth it! The owners & employees were very good to us & took lots of pictures of us with our many cameras :-). Would recommend staying here if you will be in the area. The trains are close by when they go through town, but must quit during sleeping hours because we didn't hear them.

Room Tip: If it is just you & your spouse I would recommend staying in the RR car with the sauna. I think...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We were so lucky to find the Whistle Stop. From the moment we arrived to the big "see you again" hugs from Jan on the porch at check out our stay was amazing. The Imperial was more then we expected and we truly felt transported back in time. We both had an amazing night sleep. Breakfast was beyond expectations. Thank you Jan and staff for allowing us to recharge our batteries after a very stressful work week. Our romantic mini getaway was just what we needed.

Room Tip: loved the Imperial!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Wonderful, unique, and fun place to stay. Stayed in the Palace car. What a great experience. Breakfast was delicious. We had business in New York Mills and stumbled across this place. What a great find! It turned our boring business mission into a romantic getaway. We will be back to visit again and try to find a night to book a couple of the train cars so we can invite friends. You are close to the tracks, but we both agreed it did not interrupt our sleep. But to be proactive, we brought along our white noise maker. It should go without saying, but avoid eating at the local bowling alley at all costs. It was recommended by two different people in town. Gross. But everything at Whistle stop was great.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We think this is our 15th stay at the Whistle Stop. We have stayed at bed & breakfasts from Ipswich, Massachusetts to St. Augustine to San Diego to Victoria, BC. The breakfasts at the Whistle Stop has about the best we've had in our travels. Jann is a gracious and cordial hostess and always ready to accommodate the guests. You do need to be prepared for the whistles and rattles of the coal trains going by, but it gives you the illusion of being on the train.

Room Tip: The rail cars are the closest to the railroad tracks, except for the caboose.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed with Whistle Stop B & B when they were fairly new. We loved it. We stayed in the Palace Car. It was so beautiful... When I wanted to surprise my husband with another trip to this amazing Bed and Breakfast, I found that they now added two new train cars, and were already booked in the Palace Car. So I decided lets try the Viking as it was mentioned in reviews as someone's new most favorite. We did. Yes, the Viking was amazing. It is so beautifully done to the era of beautiful train suite coaches. It has a beautiful dry sauna plus hot tub shower combo.
We will return and I want to mention. My husband told me after our first stay years ago and again, it was amazing. He surprised me by saying he loves the feel of this amazing B & B far better than a typical hotel. It sure beats the Ritz. She decorates so amazing with antiques and soft lights. Check out the house its full of antiques. I hope to return as soon as we can. Love this place and the experience.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of these rail road cars. We have stayed in the Palace and the Viking...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Perham
Brookside Motel
Brookside Motel
#2 of 5 in Wadena

Been to Whistle Stop B & B? Share your experiences!