“Rustic charmer”
Review of Grand View Lodge

Grand View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Nisswa
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My trip to Grand View was part of a weekend getaway with 7 girlfriends. We rented a large cabin which had 3 bedrooms plus a large sleeping loft & 4 bathrooms. The sleeping space was quite roomy for all of us, however, the upstairs living space was a bit small and only had one couch--not quite big enough for all of us to squeeze around the fireplace at once. Had we been staying during the summer, the two large decks (one screened in) would have been ample to accommodate us. The lower level had more living space but lacked the ambiance and fireplace of the main level.

The cabin itself was charming and comfortable enough, although I certainly wouldn't label it as luxury by any stretch. It was pretty well stocked and we were able to make a nice dinner with no problems. The beds were reasonably comfy. The bathrooms were sufficient but the towels particularly plush nor particularly soft.

We didn't have a lake view, which was fine for winter but during the warmer months it would be nicer to be on the water, or at least see it. The neighboring cabins were a bit close. Again, fine during winter, but during the warmer months it's likely there'd be plenty of noise traveling from cabin to cabin. There was plenty of parking, even with quite a bit of snow piled up (which blocked some space)

Grand View is definitely an outdoorsy sort of place. If we'd planned to snowmobile, ski or snow shoe we would have had fabulous access. Our plan, however, was to spend a day at the spa, which, sadly, we didn't get to do since there was a mix up with our reservation and the staff couldn't...or didn't choose to do anything to help fix that, hence my lack of stars in this area.

While the staff was pleasant enough, when checking in, we were told our cabin was ready but we couldn't have the key yet so we headed to an offsite spa for the afternoon and picked up the key at dinner time. We never did find out what that was all about.

Nonetheless, I would be willing to give this resort one more try.

Room Tip: Take a look at the resort map and know where you plan to spend time as the cabins are quite spread o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karin U

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I have been seeking out Grand View Lodge and its rustic beauty and serenity for 10 years now as both a solo guest, and as a family getaway destination. Had this been my very first stay at GVL, I would NOT return based on the management (or lack thereof) of both the Lodge and Glacial Waters Spa. With so many other resort options available in the Brainerd Lakes Area, I am still floored by the horrible experience, and lack of management(s) making it right. I have been a small buisiness owner for 17 years and fully understand customer service. I am a compassionate and empathetic consumer, and the purpose of this review is not to trash GVL resort, but to shake up management at this beautiful property so that my terrible and unfortunate experience does not happen to another guest. My purpose for driving 4 hours in a blizzard was to arrive at GVL to relax, unwind, and celebrate my birthday. My sister had pre-arranged and pre-paid a surprise spa service for me on the morning following my arrival. Upon check-in at 1130pm, I was not told of my morning spa service as my sister had requested the front desk to do, nor was I offered any helpful directions on how to find my room which was off the main property and burried in 7 inches of new, unplowed snow. The next morning my sister texted me "did you get our gift?" as I was getting dressed and making my way towards breakfast. I replied "no?" and she told me in a panic that I have a 9am sugar scrub appointment at the spa (it was currently 8:43am) and the front desk was going to deliver the surprise birthday gift when I checked -in upon arrival the night before. I stopped in at the main Lodge (where breakfast is served) and asked the front desk about my spa appointment I didn't know about (now it is 9am and I am missing my sugar scrub). Amanda, who was WONDERFUL, was concerned and understood my frustration and confusion, and read me the "pop-up" on her computer screen that stated "Be sure to let Tanya know that she has a 9am surprise spa treatment Sunday morning and Happy Birthday from her sister". The tears started because: 1. How Thoughtful. 2. I'm missing it right now. 3. Why wasn't I told this last night when I checked in. Amanda called the Spa and they did squeeze me in at 9:30am, but I got screwed out of my breakfast buffet that was included in my Saturday night's stay because I had to rush over to the spa. Upon check-out from the spa -I did recieve 2 other services I arranged for prior to my arrival- I was charged for all three services. I explained to Nicole (who should be fired from Glacial Waters Spa) that my sister had called three days earlier and booked and pre-paid the 9am sugar scrub as a birthday gift surprise. Nicole said there was no pre-payment of the service, nor was there a gift card waiting upon check-out. Nicole told me I received three services and I have to pay for all three services, but she COULD offer me a 10% discount for having three services in the same day.... Que more tears.... Nicole made me feel like a liar and a thief for standing behind my sisters text that she had booked and paid for my 9am appointment and my un-willingness to pay for the same service twice. We had a stare-down, me in tears, and she said "there's nothing in the computer, there is nothing I can do." So, I called my sister and had Nicole talk to her, since she had given the spa her credit card number and made the appointment for me. Nicole flipped through a green folder of "phone orders" with my sister on the phone and I saw my name on the top of one and pointed it out to her. Nicole said "Oh. Heather messed this up" and for the next 15 minutes complained to two other spa staff at the front desk with me still in tears on the other side of the counter how Heather and Megan didn't do their job and screwed all of this up. Nicole told my sister while on the phone with her that "they will make it right and take care of it and will have her manager call Tanya on Tuesday", but never explained to my sister or to me what "taking care of it" meant exactly.... And I have yet to recieve a phone call. Nicole handed my phone back to me and told me that my sisters card had never been charged, and yes, I still owe. It appears that was "taking care of it". At this point I received ZERO apology from any spa staff for the oversight of losing my sister's payment and my gift card and the embarrassing ordeal at the front desk with other spa guests present, and I am still visably upset over the awkward situation of me having to call my sister to rectify the situation and prove I was not "stealing services". Nicole did offer me a small green paper bag of makeup samples "for my trouble" and said she was going to take another 10% off of my bill for 3 services. I politely declined the make-up samples, and I never did receive a 20% discount for my 3 services that I ended up paying for. I did pay a 15% gratuity for the three therapists (who were wonderful, but by this point in the game I was completely stressed out and had lost any spa-therapy benefit). I asked Nicole who the supervisor was, she relunctantly said Annie, and I requested that Annie phone me when she was in so I could explain my situation with my sister's thoughtful and expensive gift that was imploded by the Spa. I also requested from Amanda that Jason (the Lodge supervisor) call me to help understand the complete lack of communication and consideration to me upon check-in... and I am still waiting.... Granted, I was not the booking agent for a lucrative conference being held there the weekend of March 9, 2013, but I believe the "little guy" deserves as much attention and respect as the "big money guy". Based on my unfortunate experience (lack of follow-up by management after 2 seperate requests by me), I will not return. There are PLENTY of amazing resort options on gorgeous Gull Lake. Sorry, Grand View Lodge and Glacial Waters Spa. You blew it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
22  Thank TSBFargo
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I surprised my wife with a weekend at Grand Lodge. It was everything and more than expected. The staff were helpful, attentive and friendly, from the pool, restaurants, lodge and spa. Everyone made us feel special. My wife had the best massage she had ever had from Ashley. Spa services were exceptional! The meals at the lodge dining room and Cru were outstanding! Waiters were attentive, yet ninja- like .The breakfast buffet was one of the most thoughtful and broad spreads we have encountered. Healthy and comfort foods abounded! We enjoyed the peaceful walks around the grounds. It was so beautiful, my wife said she felt as though we were in a snow globe. Thank you for an outstanding visit.

Room Tip: We had a cabin on Gull Lake. Just gorgeous and very quiet. We had room 208. It had a king bed and 2...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Grand View Lodge gives precedence and favors those that give repeat business. This is a good thing if you repeatedly visit; this is a poor thing if you have not previously stayed here. We reserved a 4-bedroom cabin with 8 beds,2 sofa sleepers and a large living area (which we will call cabin A). I confirmed this cabin 1 week prior to arrival, and also 1 day prior to arrival (as standard practice I follow up with hotels/resorts because they rarely reserve correctly ~ and no different this time). When we arrived, we were relocated to a 3 bedroom, 5 bed cabin with no sofa sleepers and literally no living area (we will call this cabin B). Why did we get relocated? Because some group of ladies that reserve cabins year after year, went into cabin B and rejected it. Grand View Lodge gave them cabin A (as we had not yet arrived) and just forced us to accept cabin B without pre-notification, at the same price as cabin A, with no apology or discount. I should have complained immediately, but I made the best of the situation and decided to deal with it the following week after our vacation was over. When I called in to express my displeasure the following week, I all I got was "I tried my best" from their customer service. Yeah I don't care about "your best", I care about getting what I reserved and paid for. They didn't even offer a discount or anything. They did; however, offer to give us a discount if we came back next year. WOOHOO, a discount for the same crappy cabin, AWESOME THANKS FOR NOTHING!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
11  Thank MandalayBayKid
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My daughter and I just returned from a short stay at Grandview. Our family of five travel to the resort every summer and stay in a cabin on the main grounds. We decided to stay in the Lodge because of the cold and snow. The rooms are cute and the Lodge is beautiful, however, the walls are paper thin. We were awakened twice during the night by neighbors talking on their cell phones. If you go to Grandview, stay in the cabins on the main grounds for the best experience. The beach, game room, activities, golf, tennis, bikes, candy shop, bon fires and more are all wonderful! We went to the spa twice and loved the message. By far, the best restaurant at Grandview is Cru. The food is delicious and the atmosphere very cozy. For our family, Grandview is dreamy. Picking the right cabin makes all the difference.

Room Tip: The cabins on the main grounds are the most fun and close to everything. If you stay in the townhom...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We planned a girls weekend at Grand View Lodge for the first time, which will now be an annual event! The staff were so friendly and accommodating! Everyone greeted you with a smile and asked how your stay was going. Included in the price of our 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom cabin was free breakfast for everyone! It was an awesome breakfast buffet with a huge selection of fresh, hot food. I did not participate in the spa experience, but my friends that did were raving about the experience and the services provided. We have already booked our cabin for February 2014 and are looking forward to our return!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank FamilyTraveler18
Reviewed 2 March 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a two night stay over the holidays and had a great time with all of the activities the resort had to offer. The accomodations were clean, the resort was well maintained, and the staff was great. Stayed in a cabin with fireplace and jaccuzi and everything was great with the exception with noise that transfers through the door from attaching cabin. An insulated door with seals would go a long way. Wasn't a major issue during our stay but could see it as a potential issue with louder neighbors. The breakfast buffet was delicious.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nisswa
Madden's on Gull Lake
Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge

Been to Grand View Lodge? Share your experiences!