“What a wonderful way to spend 2 days!”
Review of Grand View Lodge

Grand View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Nisswa
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We booked 2 nights under their Fork and Cork Special ($200 dining card included), and we felt it was an amazing deal!
We arrived a bit early on check-in day and were given our cabin right away. Cabin 130 - on the lake, beautiful inside with a king size bed, Jacuzzi tub, and 3 sided fireplace. It was beyond romantic for us. Warm, inviting, clean inside and out, and so quiet and peaceful! Tracks in the snow showed deer walked right past our front windows.

Walkways well lit and in good condition. Sidewalks shoveled at all times.

We ate a fun dinner at the Pub (Thursday - $5 burger night) and enjoyed the tucked away game room (away from the bar area). The games were super fun with darts, pool, Big Buck Hunter, jukebox and all kinds of arcade games. Each game was roughly .50 each to play. The pub was low key with lots of big screens TVs and a very wonderful staff. Food was pub food, but modern, and very good!
Friday was wonderful! We enjoyed their buffet breakfast which was not a typical "buffet". It had everything! Eggs, oatmeal, bacon, sausage, cereals, juices, bakery breads, muffins, TONS of awesome fruit, waffles, and so on. All fresh, hot, and so good! We sat and relaxed for over an hour enjoying the view out the big windows and sipping coffee. So relaxing.

We went to the Glacier Spa on Friday for Relaxation Massages. The steam room and sauna before hand were very nice and the massages were very good. Clean, comfortable, and would go back again.

Friday afternoon (and Saturday) I went to the fitness center. Clean, and good equipment. 3 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, bikes, free weights, weight machines, and a stretching area. We didn't use the pool, but it looked to be super fun for kids. Water Slides and all. The fitness center entrance is hid at the top of the stairs on the back side of the pool.

Friday evening we went to the wine tasting. This is given by the Bar Manager who is amazingly knowledgeable about wines. We enjoyed Cheese, Crackers, fruit and 5 kinds of wine. It opened our eyes to some new reds we might enjoy in the future. The cost was $50 per couple + tip. We were able to use our dining card for the experience.

Friday evening we ate at the Lodge and had Walleye and Halibut (special). Everything was 5 star quality, including the desserts. The food shows they have a 5 star chef on staff. It was quiet, I would say during the summer it is best to make reservations.

Saturday we checked out at 10:30 and I took breakfast to go. All the staff was very sweet and made sure our stay was perfect.

We are a lesbian couple and were treated as normal people. We are cautious about where we stay and spend our money and the Grand View Lodge felt safe and inviting.

Limited dining until summer. Also closed was the chocolate shop, but the mercantile is open and they have fancy coffee.

Room Tip: Cabins seems to be very different in size and position. Cabin 129 was near the playground so probabl...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle D

Reviewed 7 April 2013

We booked a great 2 nights special offered at Grand View. The objective of the weekend was to relax and unwind and unfortunately when we came back from dinner Friday night, our neighbors attached (the cabin was a duplex) were partying and the walls are thin. The lodge personnel were very accommodating, they moved us to a stand alone cabin which was a little farther away but very quiet, exactly what we were looking for. We were impressed with how great the service was, particularly at the front desk.

As for amenities, used the spa which is a overall great experience. There was free activities through out the weekend and I went to the yoga class which was great. Definitely would recommend Cru. The lodge restaurant and pub were what you would expect. Breakfast buffet was very good.

Room Tip: Cabins are for those who don't mind sharing a wall with another group. They are remodeled and ha...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I went to Grandview for the first time in December 2010, and had such a wonderful experience that I wondered if I'd be disappointed going back. I had nothing to fear! I went both times as part of a ladies spa weekend, and I'll be going back again. The accommodations are spacious and well-kept, with a cozy fireplace, great kitchen, and whirlpool tubs in the bathrooms. The beds are wonderful...I slept well! Glacial Waters Spa is a decadent experience well worth the money, and the free breakfast buffet is outstanding. You can't beat the charm and historic beauty of Grandview in the winter, when snow covers the paths and hangs from the pines. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank jessov
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My husband and I made reservations for the “de’ Vine Winter Culinary & Wine Experience” which included first class lodging, educational culinary classes, enjoyable wine seminars, a surprising soup competition and scrumptious culinary treats offered with a selection of over 100 different kinds of wines. To end the already fun filled day we indulged in S ’mores and Ports and were entertained by Crazy Keys –Dueling Pianos. Need I say more, it was a wonderful experience.

We enjoyed our stay at Grand View Lodge in spite of some glitches with the hot water, being misinformed about the stove availability and the fireplace needing to be looked at. The stove that we were ensured that would be present in our cabin and wasn’t we overlooked it because they quickly accommodated with a grill and charcoal which we made due and the fireplace didn’t concern us too much.

Ultimately we were upset about not having any hot water. We didn’t’ find out there was no hot water until we returned from our room late in the evening and wanted to take showers and use the Jacuzzi. The night staff said they couldn’t do anything until the morning but offered us different accommodations but we didn’t want to pack up and move in the middle of the night. So we just hoped they would fix it as soon as they could in the morning and we would have enough warm water for a quick shower before our activities started.

Finally after calling the front desk again in the morning they sent someone out to fix it. He was very friendly and informed us that the pilot light blew out and he was as surprised as we were that the night staff didn’t call for the on-call maintenance person to come out and fix it immediately.

We are happy to say we were compensated for our trouble which displays their effort to amend the abnormal incidents we encountered. Unfortunately, we were only able to generate enough hot water to fill a half of a Jacuzzi that morning and then the next day there still wasn’t enough hot water for a ¼ tub.

Overall we are pleased with our stay and we rank this resort best over Breezy Point where we have spent the last few years. Grand View Lodge is now our first choice of resorts in the Brainerd area.

We found the Grand View Lodge very accessible to the main facilities with their beautifully lit walking paths; we appreciated not having to walk on the roads. Our two bedroom cabin was comfortable and roomy; we also had a great view of the lake. The staff was friendly and the activities and services which cater to both families and couples surpass most other resorts.

On a side note, kudos to the chef that created the pizza offered in the Northwoods Pub, we and our friends thought it was phenomenal, so fresh.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 27Wink
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My trip to Grand View was part of a weekend getaway with 7 girlfriends. We rented a large cabin which had 3 bedrooms plus a large sleeping loft & 4 bathrooms. The sleeping space was quite roomy for all of us, however, the upstairs living space was a bit small and only had one couch--not quite big enough for all of us to squeeze around the fireplace at once. Had we been staying during the summer, the two large decks (one screened in) would have been ample to accommodate us. The lower level had more living space but lacked the ambiance and fireplace of the main level.

The cabin itself was charming and comfortable enough, although I certainly wouldn't label it as luxury by any stretch. It was pretty well stocked and we were able to make a nice dinner with no problems. The beds were reasonably comfy. The bathrooms were sufficient but the towels particularly plush nor particularly soft.

We didn't have a lake view, which was fine for winter but during the warmer months it would be nicer to be on the water, or at least see it. The neighboring cabins were a bit close. Again, fine during winter, but during the warmer months it's likely there'd be plenty of noise traveling from cabin to cabin. There was plenty of parking, even with quite a bit of snow piled up (which blocked some space)

Grand View is definitely an outdoorsy sort of place. If we'd planned to snowmobile, ski or snow shoe we would have had fabulous access. Our plan, however, was to spend a day at the spa, which, sadly, we didn't get to do since there was a mix up with our reservation and the staff couldn't...or didn't choose to do anything to help fix that, hence my lack of stars in this area.

While the staff was pleasant enough, when checking in, we were told our cabin was ready but we couldn't have the key yet so we headed to an offsite spa for the afternoon and picked up the key at dinner time. We never did find out what that was all about.

Nonetheless, I would be willing to give this resort one more try.

Room Tip: Take a look at the resort map and know where you plan to spend time as the cabins are quite spread o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karin U
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I have been seeking out Grand View Lodge and its rustic beauty and serenity for 10 years now as both a solo guest, and as a family getaway destination. Had this been my very first stay at GVL, I would NOT return based on the management (or lack thereof) of both the Lodge and Glacial Waters Spa. With so many other resort options available in the Brainerd Lakes Area, I am still floored by the horrible experience, and lack of management(s) making it right. I have been a small buisiness owner for 17 years and fully understand customer service. I am a compassionate and empathetic consumer, and the purpose of this review is not to trash GVL resort, but to shake up management at this beautiful property so that my terrible and unfortunate experience does not happen to another guest. My purpose for driving 4 hours in a blizzard was to arrive at GVL to relax, unwind, and celebrate my birthday. My sister had pre-arranged and pre-paid a surprise spa service for me on the morning following my arrival. Upon check-in at 1130pm, I was not told of my morning spa service as my sister had requested the front desk to do, nor was I offered any helpful directions on how to find my room which was off the main property and burried in 7 inches of new, unplowed snow. The next morning my sister texted me "did you get our gift?" as I was getting dressed and making my way towards breakfast. I replied "no?" and she told me in a panic that I have a 9am sugar scrub appointment at the spa (it was currently 8:43am) and the front desk was going to deliver the surprise birthday gift when I checked -in upon arrival the night before. I stopped in at the main Lodge (where breakfast is served) and asked the front desk about my spa appointment I didn't know about (now it is 9am and I am missing my sugar scrub). Amanda, who was WONDERFUL, was concerned and understood my frustration and confusion, and read me the "pop-up" on her computer screen that stated "Be sure to let Tanya know that she has a 9am surprise spa treatment Sunday morning and Happy Birthday from her sister". The tears started because: 1. How Thoughtful. 2. I'm missing it right now. 3. Why wasn't I told this last night when I checked in. Amanda called the Spa and they did squeeze me in at 9:30am, but I got screwed out of my breakfast buffet that was included in my Saturday night's stay because I had to rush over to the spa. Upon check-out from the spa -I did recieve 2 other services I arranged for prior to my arrival- I was charged for all three services. I explained to Nicole (who should be fired from Glacial Waters Spa) that my sister had called three days earlier and booked and pre-paid the 9am sugar scrub as a birthday gift surprise. Nicole said there was no pre-payment of the service, nor was there a gift card waiting upon check-out. Nicole told me I received three services and I have to pay for all three services, but she COULD offer me a 10% discount for having three services in the same day.... Que more tears.... Nicole made me feel like a liar and a thief for standing behind my sisters text that she had booked and paid for my 9am appointment and my un-willingness to pay for the same service twice. We had a stare-down, me in tears, and she said "there's nothing in the computer, there is nothing I can do." So, I called my sister and had Nicole talk to her, since she had given the spa her credit card number and made the appointment for me. Nicole flipped through a green folder of "phone orders" with my sister on the phone and I saw my name on the top of one and pointed it out to her. Nicole said "Oh. Heather messed this up" and for the next 15 minutes complained to two other spa staff at the front desk with me still in tears on the other side of the counter how Heather and Megan didn't do their job and screwed all of this up. Nicole told my sister while on the phone with her that "they will make it right and take care of it and will have her manager call Tanya on Tuesday", but never explained to my sister or to me what "taking care of it" meant exactly.... And I have yet to recieve a phone call. Nicole handed my phone back to me and told me that my sisters card had never been charged, and yes, I still owe. It appears that was "taking care of it". At this point I received ZERO apology from any spa staff for the oversight of losing my sister's payment and my gift card and the embarrassing ordeal at the front desk with other spa guests present, and I am still visably upset over the awkward situation of me having to call my sister to rectify the situation and prove I was not "stealing services". Nicole did offer me a small green paper bag of makeup samples "for my trouble" and said she was going to take another 10% off of my bill for 3 services. I politely declined the make-up samples, and I never did receive a 20% discount for my 3 services that I ended up paying for. I did pay a 15% gratuity for the three therapists (who were wonderful, but by this point in the game I was completely stressed out and had lost any spa-therapy benefit). I asked Nicole who the supervisor was, she relunctantly said Annie, and I requested that Annie phone me when she was in so I could explain my situation with my sister's thoughtful and expensive gift that was imploded by the Spa. I also requested from Amanda that Jason (the Lodge supervisor) call me to help understand the complete lack of communication and consideration to me upon check-in... and I am still waiting.... Granted, I was not the booking agent for a lucrative conference being held there the weekend of March 9, 2013, but I believe the "little guy" deserves as much attention and respect as the "big money guy". Based on my unfortunate experience (lack of follow-up by management after 2 seperate requests by me), I will not return. There are PLENTY of amazing resort options on gorgeous Gull Lake. Sorry, Grand View Lodge and Glacial Waters Spa. You blew it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
22  Thank TSBFargo
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I surprised my wife with a weekend at Grand Lodge. It was everything and more than expected. The staff were helpful, attentive and friendly, from the pool, restaurants, lodge and spa. Everyone made us feel special. My wife had the best massage she had ever had from Ashley. Spa services were exceptional! The meals at the lodge dining room and Cru were outstanding! Waiters were attentive, yet ninja- like .The breakfast buffet was one of the most thoughtful and broad spreads we have encountered. Healthy and comfort foods abounded! We enjoyed the peaceful walks around the grounds. It was so beautiful, my wife said she felt as though we were in a snow globe. Thank you for an outstanding visit.

Room Tip: We had a cabin on Gull Lake. Just gorgeous and very quiet. We had room 208. It had a king bed and 2...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nisswa
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
Madden's on Gull Lake
Madden's on Gull Lake
#2 of 3 in East Gull Lake
Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge

Been to Grand View Lodge? Share your experiences!