“I didn't want to leave, ever!”
Review of Grand View Lodge

Grand View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Nisswa
Reviewed 3 February 2010

This resort was so awesome, I didn't want to leave. I stayed at the Grand View for 3 nights. I attended a scrapbooking event in the conference center at the resort. I arrived on Thursday and checked in to my room before my spa appointment. The front desk staff was very nice and quickly got me checked.

I had a one bedroom condo unit right on the lake. My room was amazing. It had a living room with a gas fireplace, flat screen tv, a table and chairs and a nice leather sofa and chair. The living area over looked the lake, with 2 large patio doors. There was a hallway leading to the bedroom, which had a nook with a small refrigerator and a microwave. The hallway also had built in bunkbeds.

The bathroom was huge, had a small flat screen tv, 2 sinks and a large shower. The shower was tiled, and was one of the those showers with no door or curtain. This was a negative, as the heat was not held in, which makes for a cold experience in the middle of winter. Also the water pressure was very low.

The bedroom was very large, with a normal sized closet. The bedroom also had a flat screen tv and 2 chairs and a little table. The bed was of medium firmness, which was fine, although I do prefer a very soft bed.

The conference center was also very nice. Every person had a nice, cushioned office chair. The staff was very helpful, even when I had to enlist 2 of its staff to help me push out my car that got stuck in the snow.

My stay included most meals. The food was amazing and plentiful. The breakfasts included eggs and the weekend breakfasts were even better. The fruit was very high quality and I could have just eaten that. The mashed potato bar we had on Friday night was very cool. Mashed potatoes in martini glasses with choose your own topping is something I won't soon forget.

I did eat a late snack in the Northwoods Pub on Thursday and the service was very slow.

I hope I get the chance to go back, soon.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank mwminnesota

Reviewed 23 November 2009

Grand View Lodge is gorgeous and the staff is quite friendly and accommodating. We were issued a cabin right on the lake - the view could not have been better! The cabin was cozy with nice furnishings. We used the spa and found it to be better than expected. The golf courses are great - even the 9-hold par 3 course is fun. Finally, you can't go wrong with the food and drink here. The breakfast buffet, which is included in stay, is one of the nicest I've ever had (and I'm no stranger to breakfast buffets). Also, sign up for the wine tasting event with the sommelier if it's being offered. It was the highlight of our stay!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2009

We went there for a "girls weekend" and had an absolute blast. We played golf, tennis but the best part was the Spa. The Spa services were great and the building itself spectacular. Our cabin was perfect for us with a nice view of the lake.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2009

We were there with a family reunion. Grandview Lodge made us rent the cabins for a week( charged for one week). One of the families left midweek. Grandview lodge rented the cabin out and still charged us for the full week.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank Ativan1
GrandViewLodge, Director of Marketing at Grand View Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2010

Grand View Lodge is a special place for family reunions and weddings. One of the reasons why is because we have rates and availability for one night, half week or even a full month. This way we can cater to almost any individual's needs or wants. The fact this guest had rented the cabin for a full week and signed the contract, they then must follow the cancellation policy within the document. Or if the customer would have spoken to the front desk before or upon check-in about the possibility of leaving earlier, some arrangements could have been made. This guest did not bring this up to management otherwise we would have made sure that this situation would have been remedied. We cannot fix, that in which, we do not know.

Reviewed 11 June 2009

I stayed at the Grand View lodge for a family wedding and it was a great location! I enjoyed the Glacial Waters Spa, shopping on the main street of Nisswa, and enjoyed boating on the lake. I stayed in the main lodge while several family members were in cabins across the street around the golf course. I liked staying the in the main lodge, but it was noisy at night time because it is across the parking lot from where they throw the parties, receptions, etc! It kept me up quite late one of the nights that I was staying there.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I scheduled my wedding to be held at the new banquet facility at Grand View in June of 2010, my parents and I spent a weekend at the resort in May finalizing plans and confirming availability. We were told by the on-site wedding coordinator that the date was available and that we were all set to hold our reception on the requested date in June. Several weeks later, and many phone calls and emails later too, I received notice that she had given our reservation away to a group of 450 people. Not only were we extremely disappointed to find out that our reception site was given away, but we were hurt by the 2 sentence email we received notifying us of the change. I would not recommend staying at an establishment that does not value their guests, and I would certaintly never recommend holding an event at Grand View.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
12  Thank nleach

For all weddings, no space is ever confirmed without a signed contract. For this specific event, the potential wedding party was aware of this, in which no progress was started to confirm reservations, meeting spaces, catering, etc. Grand View Lodge takes pride in producing memories that last a lifetime. It is not uncommon to stroll through our lush property and meet with a returning guest who may have had a wedding, special anniversary, or even a family reunion that returns here year after year. We also have multiple planners available to coordinate your special day.

Reviewed 8 May 2009

I've reviewed GVL a couple times in the past and wanted to add my third. In the past we had stayed in the Roy Lodge Golf Villas and the Main Lodge- this time we were able to get a great deal on a 1 bedroom cabin on the main grounds of the resort. I was very pleasantly surprised. I had envisioned a rather dated, cold cabin. The cabin was very clean, modern, updated, and comfortable. The bedroom and bathroom were spacious, as was the HUGE whirlpool. There was a small fridge and freezer, and a microwave. The cabin slept 6 comfortably with 2 queens and a charming murphy bed in the living room. (This was Cabin 428, by the way).

My biggest annoyance on previous visits was somewhat inattentive front desk staff (namely our inability to check in early), however this time we were able to not only check in very early (1 pm, instead of 4 pm) and we were allowed to check out very late, 2 pm, which was fantastic given our short 1 night stay. Everyone was so friendly and accomodating. Their wonderful breakfast buffet was also included with our stay- I don't know if this is an off-season perk, but it was great!

Another new perk of the resort: they have completely gutted and remodled the pub in the basement of the Main Lodge. It is now "family friendly" while still a pub with a full bar, a nice sandwich style menu with a couple entrees, and many flat screens with sports and popcorn.

We chose not to eat dinner at one of the resort restaurants (the Main Lodge and Sherwood were the only options)- and instead went to Bar Harbor, a nice option just a couple miles away for those looking for something more casual.

All in all a great trip- we can't wait to go again! Next time we're looking at trying the new Roy Lake Cottages which look wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank Mpls25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nisswa
Madden's on Gull Lake
Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge

Been to Grand View Lodge? Share your experiences!