“Awesome Price! Good Experience!”

Magnuson Hotel and Suites Nisswa
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Nisswa
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was hesitant to stay here based on reviews but we just needed a place to sleep for the night and the price was right. Our room was spotless and appeared to be freshly painted with new carpet and bedding. We have stayed in way more expensive hotels that were not nearly as clean as our room was here. The pool area was nice and they offered a breakfast. This is obviously not a luxury hotel and the price reflects that. I'm actually surprised our room wasn't a little more money though. We even left our other set of keys in our room and they called us right away when they found them. Nothing to complain about, everyone we talked to was nice and accommodating. Would stay here again if we come back to the area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank WorldTraveler55374
There are newer reviews for Magnuson Hotel and Suites Nisswa

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We arrived at about seven or eight p.m., and upon our arrival we checked in at the desk, and proceeded to see our rooms. My fiance and I entered our room, and we instantly smelled paint fumes. Some "new" smells were expected, since the hotel is being redone. The smell was so strong that we felt it would be appropriate to open the windows all the way. However, there was plastic on the windows and we were not able to open our windows at all. The lighting in the room was poor, and the smell was just too strong. So, we went downstairs and requested to the desk clerk that we have a different room with windows that could open. Her desk area was unkempt, and she was the only one working. She told us she could not give us another room, so we explained to her again what the issue was. She seemed to be very frustrated, and began to breath heavily and scratch at her arms. She found another room for us, and said "I'll just have to give this room to someone else then", and sighed. She was very hesitant to help us, but said she'd "have to go look outside for a room without plastic on the window" and she said, I quote, "I was just getting ready to relax. I took my shoes off and everything." I looked at my mother in law with a look of disbelief, and back at the desk clerk. She went outside, found a room, and assigned us to a different room. Finally, we can have a nice room. Or so we thought... we entered the hot room, and instantly opened the windows and turned the AC on low to get the air flowing. We looked through our room, finding that a lot of the furniture and appliances were covered in dirt/dust, and there was still food smudges int he fridge from previous guests. I thought this was pretty gross, and I then proceeded to take a shower so I could go to the pool downstairs. When I went into the bathroom, I put the toilet seat up and both I and my fiance noticed there was a cloudy film floating in the water of the toilet, and it looked dirty overall. I stepped into the shower, and I wasn't able to pull the bar on the faucet to turn the shower, so I rinsed myself under the faucet. After minutes of this, I got really sick of how long this was taking, and I began to yank up on the shower bar so I could have a real shower. I had to pull so hard on the faucet I felt like I was going to break it, but after a couple minutes I got the shower to work. It wasn't so bad until I noticed the grime on the shower curtains, and after my shower noticing that there were black, curly hairs sprinkled all over the floor of the bathroom. I didn't feel very clean after that, and as I stepped out to tell my fiance about the hairs, i stepped on a chip that stuck to my foot. Thing is, we never had chips. It was all pretty unnerving, but I'm sure there's much worse hotels. The TV didn't work for the first night here, the pool floor (and outside of the pool door) was dirty and slimy, and there was still juice in the grate at the juice bar from that morning. So, overall, this has been my worst hotel experience. I do not suggest staying here if you're looking for somewhere comfortable and problem-free.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Summer R
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We found the manager to be pleasant, welcoming and accommodating. Our room had new carpeting, was very clean freshly painted and quiet. The beds and mattresses were also new and very comfortable They have a self serve breakfast with good waffles. This is not a luxury hotel, but is a good basic place to stay.... obviously under new management who are trying very hard to please. We'd not hesitate to recommend it to friends and would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Charles A
Reviewed 1 June 2014

freshly painted, carpeted and seemed like a new bed. I was concerned after reading reviews but I need a cheap place to sleep so I risked it... I did not use the pool area but everything else I saw looked new. (I am a fanatic about bed bugs... new beds means no bugs to me... and even the best hotels have 'em... ) quiet, comfortable and no two night stay minimum (which is common in resort areas) I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Blaze D
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We reserved our rooms online via Magnuson Hotel's corporate website. The website clearly states the hotel is pet friendly. In addition, we included a note saying we needed a pet friendly room. However, upon check-in, it turns out the hotel is primarily NOT pet friendly. They didn't have a pet friendly room and were going to have us have our dog sleep in our car. Rather than apologize, we were lectured on why in this day and age, one should always call a hotel direct versus booking "online" because the hotel can't be accountable for all of "those" sites out there that don't pass vital information along. Guess what - you put yourself on "those" sites. You claim to be pet friendly, but in fact have 1-2 rooms that are pet friendly. And your own personal corporate website is not someone else, it is yourself. After throwing quite a scene, he somehow found us a room that was in fact pet friendly. Despite things being worked out, I was still lectured multiple times about how this wasn't his fault but rather mine for using something crazy like the internet to book a room. For real? Pretty much ruined the entire experience. That said, the hotel was in the process of having some remodeling done. The continental breakfast was what you'd expect in an inexpensive hotel (cereal and dry bread, couple grocery store donuts and pretty much no seating area). But, for the price, it would have been fine had the customer service realized that there mistake is not my fault.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NorthernWisconsin
Reviewed 6 April 2014

room was dirty.....microwave couldn't be set to a specific amount of time and burnt our food....the tub wouldn't drain properly....they charged my card before check in.....the manager came to the LOCKED door in her pajamas....they were not willing to cut any breaks on a cancellation due to illness

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Barb Y
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed 2 nights in a 2 dbl bed room. Sheets were dirty, beds are hard as a board, toilet did not work upon check in and notified front desk lady (friday @ 5pm) she said it will be fixed tomorrow! And not sure what we are suppose to use tonight! Pool area was full of plate size black mold, sheet rock and tools guess there are trying to remodel hotel. Sauna rock area had no safety screen on it. Both nights we had kids running and yelling up and down the hallway until well after 10pm. They knocked on doors including ours. Walked to front desk to inform clerk of the noise and as she sat there eating chex mix and on computer told me "well I'm trying to make them stop". Trying to?? Does not look like it to me! Parents sat in pool area while kids ran around hotel. Upon leaving on Sunday we took sheets off the beds and put them by the room door, something we do to help out housekeeping staff at every hotel. Leave and about an hour later get a phone call from front desk lady named Renee asking where the sheets are, told her we left them by the door and she said they were missing and that we would have to pay for sheets!! I told her again that we left them by the door and she said that we should have not taken them off the bed and that we are wrong to do that and that we must have stolen the sheets! Yes like I wanted icky old stained hotel sheets! Argued with her about it and she did argue back again telling me we were wrong and that we should have said something about the kids running and knocking on doors. I told her we did and she said no you did not or it would have been taken care of and you don't touch the sheets that's for housekeeping to do! Seriously!! I can't believe what I'm hearing come out of her mouth! I told her that she better not even think about charging us for those sheets and asked her to connect me to the owner she said he was not available right now and I left my # for a return call, never heard back! POOR FRONT DESK STAFF one sits on her butt and the other accuses guest of stealing and being wrong! Breakfast was OK only because there was a waffle iron. Did get a call back saying that the sheets had been found. Yes I told you we did not steal them! Thanks for accusing us of the theft. Also we are in our very early 20's and guys that went there to snowmobile so we are not super picky but this place is BAD!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank 471hawk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nisswa
Madden's on Gull Lake
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area

Been to Magnuson Hotel and Suites Nisswa? Share your experiences!