“Historic charm”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Northfield
Austin, Texas
“Historic charm”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed the end of September for a night as attending a funeral. I parked in the back lot, close to the covered entrance which was handy as it was raining. Check in was quick and efficient. I booked a large queen room, based on past reviews and was in the Schoolyard? room on the top floor. I thought the room was charming, with a four poster queen bed, desk and chair facing the window, vaulted ceiling, ceiling fan, two dressers, a flat screen tv, and closet. The bathroom was updated and way nicer than I expected. The room was clean. Due to the age of the hotel, the sound was loud from the outside, but when I turned the fan on the AC unit, it drowned out all noise, which worked for me. The bed and linens were comfortable. I chose the hotel for it's location, along with the history, and loved the ability to peruse the shops on main street and had a great espresso/oatmeal at a coffee shop a few blocks down from the hotel. I was there on a Thursday, and the bar downstairs had a great musician playing, a diverse crowd and great beer selection on tap, with free snack mix and nice earthy ambiance.

Room Tip: I prefer a high floor to minimize noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JJBJW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I recently had a reservation to stay at this place and when I realized that my son would have to stay with us one night I called to cancel. I was able to cancel but the person taking the call was absolutely snobbish. He realized I was a "freshman" parent and then went on to say how much "fun" they had with us. He literally told me "We laugh at freshman parents"!

At the parent reception at Carleton a few of us shared our "hotel" experience and the people staying at this place all had a similar story as mine. In other words, all said they were made to feel like they were "dumb" (to put it kindly) and "clueless". They all commented on how the staff made fun of them every day. What a horrible experience! To me, no matter how nice or how comfortable or how close this place is to where my son will be for the next four years, the attitude of the staff does not make it worth me staying there.

They lost my business for the next four years and I can tell you that from the parents I visited with at the Carleton reception that they lost the business of several families!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank MelaNanz
Todd B, Manager at Archer House River Inn, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
I am very sorry that the guest felt we were snobby, disrespectful or in any way unappreciative of our college parent guests. I understand the frustration felt when the guest wanted a room type and dates that are simply unavailable when at the last minute they needed to make a change. The unfortunate truth is that we have to say no far more than we say yes for event weekends, move-in periods and graduation weekends.

As the only hotel located downtown and in just competing a 4 year, $1.2 million dollar renovation of our little 36 room inn, we have demand that often runs more than a 1000% of availability for peak dates. We do our best to advise all parents on availability, alternative places to stay and strategies for booking at the Archer House and other local hotels.

We do have fun with our guests and yes we can always identify freshman parents. We are all about building relationships and being as fair as we can be while knowing there are times when we sadly can’t accommodate many of the requests. Our mission to preserve, maintain and enhance our historic inn as we serve the needs of the colleges, our community, our dedicated employees and of course our guests is incredibly rewarding but also very challenging given our small number of guest rooms and suites and the high cost of maintaining and renovating an 1877 inn.

We will continue to do our best to meet the needs of all those who work, stay and visit the Archer House River Inn. We thank all of our loyal guests and supporters and we look forward to continuing to have fun and building relationships with all those we serve!

Travellers are raving about these Northfield hotels

Sonora, California
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Along with other relatives, we reserved a room (for the 2-night week-end minimum) at The Archer House as it was close to the reception we were attending at a nearby venue (The Grand Theater) and from the review thought it would be a pleasant experience for the out-of-state visitors to enjoy the local shops/activities during the stay. We found our room to be pleasant and the bathroom updated - altho' the shower over a claw foot tub has no handle or means of support for getting in and out and the carpeting in the bedroom was in dire need of cleaning. Unfortunately, three other members of our party reserving 3 separate rooms were not as lucky: The bride and groom had no room, altho' booked months' prior (eventually they were placed), and two other members of the family had rooms with old stall showers in the bathrooms, which had mold and grime in the shower and on the floor and were in dire need of updating. One of the rooms had a window between the bathroom and the bedroom!

The exercise room hadn't been cleaned for a long time, the equipment or the carpeting, and there were no wipes available.

The Tavern Restaurant below was excellent (5 stars) with Minnesota sized breakfasts.

The staff was friendly and helpful, the location convenient and with some TLC would receive 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank doni137
I am sorry if the guest room was not up to expectations and we will continue to review our processes and procedures to be sure our rooms and public spaces meet or exceed expectations.

There are significant size differences between our rooms with the smallest rooms being our Cozy Rooms that primarily feature a queen sized bed (though 4 of the 11 Cozy Rooms have full sized beds) and a small bathroom with either a shower or claw foot tub with a shower surround. By end of 2013, we will be renovating the last 4 Cozy room’s guest bathrooms. They will receive new walk in tiled showers.

All of the Archer House River Inn’s other rooms – Large Rooms with one queen bed (some with a sleeper sofa), Executive Rooms with two queen beds, Two-Room Suites with either one king or two queen beds, and 4th Floor Executive Suite all have been full renovated with fully tiled bathrooms.

If you have any questions about which type of room will serve you best, please call and we are glad to answer any question and provide photos of any guest room. Our Cozy rooms provide a great value for those looking to spend less but still be at the center of everything downtown Northfield has to offer. For those who love history and the quirkiness of a great river inn – We are certain you will enjoy your stay with us!
Lafayette, Colorado
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I recently spent one night here when I flew out to pick-up my daughter at a St. Olaf summer camp. It was a pleasant stay and very convenient for getting to either St. Olaf or Carleton - the latter is a short walk from the hotel lobby. It's an older hotel, but not as dated as some of the other chain hotels nearby and it was clean and comfortable. I really didn't have any issue with train noises that some reviewers reported, but then I didn't leave the window open either. There are several good coffee/bakery shops nearby and a very good Indian restaurant downstairs. If it's just you or you and your spouse and you want to stay in Northfield, as opposed to Lakeville or Faribault, then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 June 2013

If you are visiting the colleges or relatives/friends in Northfield, this is a nice location downtown with shops and restaurants nearby. The other chain motels are very cheap and dated and would plan to stay in Minneapolis suburbs if Archer House is filled.

That said, the rooms in the Archer House are acceptable but the common spaces are very dank - halls, lounge, porch/sidewalk in front - and desperately need an update. Beds were comfortable and bathrooms up to date. Our room did not have blinds over the arched section of the window so it does limit your ability to sleep in.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Chanhassen, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We spent one night in Northfield, visiting our son at college. Since his band was playing at the neighboring bar, we knew we wouldn't be spending much time in the room, so opted for the "small but cozy" category of room. Nicely decorated, with a Queen-sized antique iron bed, comfortable mattress and pillows, and beautiful linens. Nice view of the river. The staff was pleasant and very helpful. It was fine for us, but... if you do intend to spend some time in the room, you'd be better off upgrading to the next size. Breakfast downstairs in the Tavern was excellent, and a bargain!

Room Tip: Choose a larger room if you intend to spend any serious time in the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 15 April 2013

During the 4 years our son was a student at Carleton College (2008-2012), I became a regular at The Archer House. Evan ran XC and track, so I tried to go back for a meet each season. The Archer House became my regular home away from home. It's right on Northfield's main street, close to Goodbye Blue Monday (great coffee house), and has comfortable rooms. Two restaurants are on site: The Tavern, which features inexpensive breakfasts and decent and reasonable lunches and dinners. Lots of Carleton students go there for Tavvie B. It's full of locals and sometimes you have to wait for a table. Which can be a fun way to visit with your group or some of the locals! The other restaurant is a poplar Indian one.

One advantage of being a regular was that when it came time to reserve rooms for graduation, regulars were remembered favorably! They're also good about maintaining a waiting list for us visiting parents.

Their web site works well. There's a welcoming lobby, with access to the internet. Rooms have wifi. One issue with the rooms is the heating unit is also the ac, and it's somewhat noisy as it turns on and off.

For a bit more money, I'd recommend staying here over one of the more impersonal "modern" motels down the road. It's old-fashioned comfort in a sweet, welcoming Midwestern town. In fact, we're headed back in May to cheer on Evan's track team at their conference meet!

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room if there are 2 of you.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfield
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Northfield
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Northfield
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Faribault
Boarders Inn & Suites Faribault, MN
Days Inn Faribault
Days Inn Faribault
#4 of 5 in Faribault
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Northfield

Been to Archer House River Inn? Share your experiences!