“Average hotel, friendly staff”

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Northfield
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Northfield
St. Paul, MN
“Average hotel, friendly staff”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night so that we could attend my cousin's wedding at Carleton. Because it was such a short stay, we didn't spend much time at the hotel or use too many of its amenities. However, from what I could tell, this was equivalent to the other Americinns we've stayed at before. While you won't get any fancy decor or food, the lobby, room, and free breakfast were all adequate. I’d say the highlight at this particular location was the staff – they were quite friendly and efficient. The location was definitely convenient for our purposes, being just a quick 5 minute drive up the hill to Carleton. However, those looking for small town ambiance should note that the location of this hotel will leave something to be desired. It is surrounded by strip malls and similar businesses. To sum up, if you are looking for a solid, convenient, and inexpensive place to stay while visiting the area, I’d recommend it. If you are looking for a romantic getaway in the countryside, I’d consider another lodging option.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Northfield, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review of our property. I'm pleased to see that we met your needs while you were in Northfield. We hope to see you again in Northfield soon.

Paul J. McGuire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 June 2012

When making reservations for a motel in Northfield for a wedding I had to choose between the Country Inn or AmericInn. I have always liked staying at AmericInns, but I thought I would try some thing different. Bad move. They messed up our reservations so we had no place to stay, but AmericInn came to the rescue! They had a recent cancelation that they held for us to get there and booked us into a very nice room.
The next morning I was so surprised by the breakfast! Wow, eggs, sausage, waffles, bagels, muffins, etc and the Sunday comics, all in one place. Thank you AmericInn, and Brianna, for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeff S
Paul M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Northfield, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for staying with us! We are so happy to see we were able to help you get a room in our very busy city. It can be a challenge at times!

I will let Brianna know that you were pleased with her service, and again, thank you for choosing AmericInn in Northfield.

Iowa
Reviewed 5 June 2012

There are not many lodging options in Northfield, home of St. Olaf College. Most popular is the Country Inn, because it is close enough to campus to walk there. But if you have a car, the Americinn is a similar level of lodging, and has the advantage that it is not right next to the railroad tracks. During a recent stay there, I found the staff very friendly and helpful, the room was basic but comfortable and clean, and the breakfast was fine. It is a very reasonable option.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fuzby
Hello and thank you for writing a Trip Advisor review on our AmericInn in Northfield, MN.

Our goal is to be a clean, affordable, and friendly option while serving the comforts of home. We are currently updating our property which means the facility you like already will be getting better.

We are enjoying making the changes you have come to expect and look forward to the upcoming upgrades to be made.

Thank you again! We hope to see you soon.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 30 May 2012

My son has just finished his second year at St. Olaf and I have stayed at many of the hotels in town. AmericInn is by far the best place to stay and always my first choice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank aclodo
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are thankful for all of our college visitors and are happy to be a choice in Northfield for anyone coming to the area.

We wish you the best in all of your future travels.

Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Well it's not bad but it ends up being on the low end of chain hotels. Ahead of your typical La Quinta but below a Residence Inn. The problem is that there really isn't much of a choice in Northfield. Minneapolis isn't, fortunately, too far away

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Noah_Webster
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the AmericInn in Northfield. I am happy to let you know that we are currently in the process of upgrading our property and will have a whole new look when the process is complete.

We have recently installed brand new LCD TV's in all of our rooms. This past month saw replacement of all of the King beds on our property. The previous King beds have been replaced with the AmericInn Serta Plush Sleeper.

More changes are coming and we are truly looking forward to them. Thank you again for your review. We hope to see you in Northfield soon!

San Francisco
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We stayed for two nights while attending our daughter's senior year voice recital at Carleton College. The property was very clean and attractive, with firm beds and a quiet room with everything in working order. Breakfast included a wide range of the usual fare -- my only suggestion would be to add some whole-grain offerings. As another reviewer said, there is no elevator. However, we had no trouble requesting a first floor room for when we return with my mother-in-law for our daughter's graduation. As we are from California, we were not familiar with the chain, but found it a cut above our experiences with Holiday Inn and similar properties -- for a competitive price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LRosenberg_12
Paul M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Northfield, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Thank you very much for providing your review of the AmericInn in Northfield, MN.

We will look at options for more whole grain items in our breakfast area. We want to provide these things that our guests would typically have at home so that you feel even more comfortable when you come to stay with us. Should you have any specific ideas on this front I would truly like to hear them! My email address is Northfield.mn@americinn.com and I am always interested in guest ideas and feedback.

Thank you again and we hope to see you in Northfield on a future date!

Best wishes,

Lucasville, Ohio
Reviewed 1 May 2012

When planning a visit to see my godson at Carleton I looked online to see what was available hotel-wise. I found there are four places to stay: two relatively cheap places, AmericInn, and Archer House. After reading the reviews of the two other hotels (which were uniformly bad) I decided not to take my chances and, since I didn't feel like dealing with quaint, booked a room here. I stayed three nights.

The place is spotless, the staff friendly (heck, everyone I met in town was friendly and nice!) and the fact that it was a suite was a nice bonus.

I liked the fact that, along with the usual waffle-cooker, they had "patties" of scrambled eggs and sausage patties two mornings and ham slices in between. I prefer sausage. No, it wasn't freshly scrambled eggs and just fried sausage, but was still tasty and gave me the protein I wanted with my waffle.

The only negative I have is a personal taste one, in that the bed was a tad firmer than I like--but then I like a soft mattress so I usually have the same negative point. It wasn't rock hard, just firm.

Oh, the other thing is that it has what has become the hotel standard in HVAC and that is the heat exchange unit in the wall under the window. I understand why hotels go with those instead of a central a/c and heat system, but I don't like them. Nothing I can do about it, but make a comment.

I will definitely stay here during my next visits. I'd like to be able to stay here when I attend his graduation, but I think that I'll have to be extremely lucky to be able to get a room for it!

Room Tip: As others have said, the second floor is reached by stairs only.