Tokyo Grill
Ranked #6 of 53 Restaurants in Northfield
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We watched them hang their "Open" sign - and were thrilled to see them have a few cars in the parking lot when we'd drive by. Even if it's an old converted Wendy's, we are a town of recycling and repurposing - so, it's kinda cool. :) The shrimp tempura sushi roll was great. My husbands' mixed tuna/salmon/shrimp and Cali rolls were just ok...better than what I make at home, but not really fabulous. The meals all come with a veg and miso soup, which sounded yummy. I love and make red miso soup all the time at home. The soup they served looked alright, but bland. No watercress or sprouts. Just maybe 2 or 3 tiny cubes of tofu - still ok.... First taste, though, I swear I was slurping dish water. Hot, bland and a funky flavor on the back of the tongue. Not cool. Not doing that again. They didn't even get the flavor levels you get in the Miso soup packets that are just instant 'bouillon' that's dumped into water...so, I don't know what they were doing in the kitchen. Still hopeful on the entree: Habachi chicken. It arrived. Looked bland, but sometimes Asian food can look deceiving. Nope, not in this case - not deceiving at all. Blandest tasting chicken ever - while smothered in a canned black bean sauce, still tasted like hospital food. While the prices were the same as most dinners in the area - they were too high for the food served. I would only go back for sushi. Staff nice enough, but lot's of them! I wonder if they are breaking even on their costs/labor vs. plates sold in weekly service. Hope they make it, and make a bit better food!

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Sushi (and California rolls) are something I love, to the point I make them at home. So to have this place in Northfield makes me very, very happy. Their lunch special is decently priced, for two rolls and soup. I haven't tried all of them, but their fried sweet potato roll is excellent - warm and crunchy and soft. Their terriaki chicken is far too bland for my taste, but it may well be authentic that way. The location is in an old Wendy's out on the highway, but they've done a nice job converting it, and the inside is pleasant. Not particularly fancy, but not China Buffet either. Nice place for a lunch with friends.