“Pleasant Surprise”

Cuisines: American
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Presentation and taste of atypical pub food was great! The Cobb salad ingredients come layered in a cylindrical shape on top of a spring mix. Generous amounts of wonderfully crispy bacon, sliced avocado, sliced eggs, blue cheese, and chicken breast standing in the center of the salad waiting to receive the dressing served on the side. Perfection. The Froggy's salad was similarly delicious and a good portion for the price. The chicken wrap was warm and loaded with chicken.

The food was all delicious. They also offer the typical pub food (hamburgers etc.). There is indoor and outdoor seating the latter which overlooks the river. We sat inside in the bar area which reminded me of a basement or cave. This made the food all that more surprising.

They have a good selection of bears on tap and in the bottle. The help was friendly and attentive but did not clear away any dishes. The total bill for three was ~$35 without tip or alcohol. Very reasonable.

I look forward to coming back and enjoying a beer on the patio.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank JimDell

Northfield, Minnesota
“Good Happy Hour”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Maybe the best happy hour in Northfield; two for one drafts on most days. Fun little terrace outside next to the Cannon River. Decorations in the pub are pretty fun with lots of frogs in odd places. Quasi sports bar vibe with a lot of flat screens going. Menu is strictly bar food; nachos, burgers etc. Had a chicken quesadilla my last visit that was good and spicy.
Overall I would rate Froggy's better than the local competition but that isn't a very high praise.

• Visited May 2014
Northfield, Minnesota
“Forced on you country bar”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have frequented Froggy's many times in the last 3 years. I have had great late night experiences when they have 2 for 1's, a DJ, and/or a musician present. The food is greasy, delicious bar food, typical of any normal bar food. Unfortunately, my last 3 trips in have been terrible. I sit, purchase my drink, and am told at 9pm it's open jukebox. Sounds great right? Well, only if you like country music, as it seems all the bartenders there do, as they sing out all the songs. Once myself or others accompanying me put in rock, oldies, R&B...anything the bartender doesn't seem to like, they turn down the song, or skip it all together. VERY RUDE! If you want a mix of people and socialites around, keep the mix in, and don't cancel songs YOU don't appreciate. I haven't brought my money back there after the THIRD time this happened, all on different trips in.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Trista O
Morristown,
“Froggy Bottom has gotten much better”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I had eaten at Froggies four or five times several years ago and stopped going because the menu was poor, the food wasn't real good, and the manager was "in over his head." I was coerced into going there last night and I was pleasantly surprised. The menu, although still not large, had been seriously improved and when the food came, the servings were certainly more substantial then I remembered. It was a quiet night and the bar maid was also the only waitress, and she was nothing short of great. Quite honestly, she made the big difference in how I perceived this place.

The food was good - much, much better then I remembered. The service was very good and very outgoing. Quite honestly, a place that has an outstanding location lived up to its potential. I'm going back there again.

• Visited April 2014
Lakeville, Minnesota
“Laidback Lunch in a College Town”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Within the City of Northfield reside 2 colleges – Carleton College and St. Olaf College. It seems to us that college towns support various styles and types of bars & restaurants. Having enjoyed our collegiate experiences and wanting to commemorate them, we gravitated to this little Beer & Burger Pub. Located in the basement of a 3-story commercial building, one descends down an iron spiral staircase to enter the establishment. Froggy’s has a charm & quaintness all its own. The building itself is located right on the Cannon River. In September 2010, the establishment was flooded ankle-deep. Several months later, it re-opened for business. Friendly barkeepers and wait staff have served us many lunches. The food is pedestrian and generally well-prepared. The tap beers change with the season. Autumn Saturdays are the most fun, as the college sports games & related outdoor activities are piped in via cable and displayed on several large screen TVs. Perhaps we’ll see you there.

• Visited October 2013