“Old world pub”

Tavern of Northfield
Ranked #1 of 53 Restaurants in Northfield
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Rochester, Minnesota
“Old world pub”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We found the Tavern after finding Chipati upstairs closed for the afternoon. Descending the steps into the Tavern, I thought we were going into a cave! The menu had a wide selection and I was impressed at the quality of foods offered. Also, this restaurant isn't a fan of french fries, but offers their unique tavern potatos instead which are cut up red potatoes cooked in oil with a few great choice spices. The staff was friendly, but seemed understaffed due to wait times. The location of this place is great by being next to the river, and the atmosphere inside makes one think they're in an old world pub in Europe. Definitely recommend.

• Visited October 2013

Mountain View, CA
“Great food and value”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

As I was helping my son move into St. Olaf College, I asked our hotel receptionist what restaurant she recommended. She suggested The Tavern, a walk of a few blocks from our motel, and I'm glad she did, even though we had to wait about 30 minutes to be seated that Friday before Labor Day. I had the delicious vegetarian lasagna (a large enough portion that I are half of it for dinner the next night in my hotel room), and my son had the ribs. Before receiving our main course, we both chose the soup of the day, gazpacho, which was perfect as it had been a hot day. The gazpacho was a nice texture with cucumber chunks you could taste; my only complaint is it was a little too salty. I returned to the restaurant tonight on my final night of this trip and ordered a vegetarian sandwich that included an olive tapenade, hummus, feta, and lettuce on a very fresh roll, and had the tasty house potatoes on the side. Both times I ate outside on the patio, a nice people-watching spot. And, prices were very reasonable!

Farmington, Minnesota
“Great location,cool setting, good service, average food”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We ate at The Tavern last night and had an enjoyable evening with friends but the food was not so great. 3 out of 4 of our meals were so-so... a disappointment since I really like this restaurant and I love the cool setting (old stone and brick walls, worn wood floors in a cool college town). I would give it another chance but my husband won't.

Sonora, California
“Good food, good service, good time!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Liked the convenience to hotel (must be especially nice in the winter).

Popular on weekends evidently so allow time to wait.

Visited August 2013
Hartford, WI
“Great price, great food, quick pleasant service.”
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Our favorite breakfasts during our long weekend in Northfield. Thank you for your great $4 specials, your accommodation for dietary requests, and your memorable decor.