“Good Food - Good Prices”

Tavern of Northfield
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Northfield
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed at the hotel so it was only reasonable that I eat at least one meal there. Had three - two breakfasts and one lunch. First breakfast was eggs, bacon, potatoes and toast - very reasonable and good. Minnesota does shaved hash browns - not quite crispy enough. The other breakfast my wife and I both had granola pancakes. Way too much food to eat. The lunch was a business lunch and we had the chef speial for the day which was Thai tacos - great!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Our two couples stopped in early on a Saturday night and were able to get a booth just before a party of about 20. It got busier later and there must have been a wait.
We were all happy with our meals, which were reasonably priced I thought. We had a decent Patty melt for $8.50, and a "Bovine Dunker" - similar to a french dip sandwich - for $8.50. We shared a malt for $5.25. Didn't check out the beer selection.
The waitress was very good, although she used the dreaded phrase "how are those first few bites tasting?" - I really hate this contrived cliché that seems to be everywhere these days. The food all came at once and was hot. Servings were quite large and filling. No french fries, but you can get some very tasty chips and small red potatoes that are cut up and seasoned. The waitress told us they don't have a frier.
The place itself is in an old basement under a hotel. The booths are very cramped to get in and out of. The room area seemed intimate and that seemed to keep the sound down to a very managable level for conversations.
First time to Northfield, but I would recommend if you like this type of food.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

The service was friendly, but a little hurried with multiple courses on the table at the same time. The food was tasty, but really heavy. The potato appetizer was enough for four to share. The meat lasagna was mostly meat and sauce. The carrot cake had nicely grated carrots and soaked raisins, with at least a centimeter of cream cheese frosting. Bring your appetite and some friends. I felt like a brick the next day.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

The food is excellent! The ingredients are fresh and flavorful; by no means an average "pub." The basement restaurant isn't for claustrophobic people though; some tight squeezes.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant while we were shopping in downtown Northfield. It is so cute! I love the cave-like atmosphere and old town tavern feel. The staff was friendly and the food was delicious. I will definitely go back when I am in the area.