“High Expectation Not Met”
Review of El Tequila Mexican Restaurant - CLOSED

El Tequila Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

I had pretty high expectation after hearing good things about it. Getting in on a Saturday at lunch time, we were the only ones there. Two more came in later. The menu is huge. The salsa was at room temperature which is concerning for me. I would prefer it chilled. The three of us had the shrimp with rice, the shrimp quesadilla and the standard borrito. The portions were large and the food was very hot. The sauce with a shrimp was a little strong and a bit too sweet and sour in taste. The atmosphere is relatively poor. It has an amateur feel to it despite the large space. I would say that food is ok as with most other aspects but not worth a special trip to try.

Reviewed 31 January 2013

When I'm craving authentic mexican food this is the place to go. I like the shrimp enchiladas. They have some really awesome margaritas too!

Reviewed 27 January 2013

We have been thrilled to have this gem close by for when we want good Mexican food. Their chips are hot, fresh and delicious! They have the tastiest hard shell ground beef tacos I've ever had! There is an occasional snoozer but most dishes are home runs.

Reviewed 23 December 2012

Reading previous reviews makes me wonder if we are all talking about the same restaurant! I have eaten at El Taquila several times over the last several years with a group of friends. All of us are "foodies" and eat out a lot and we LOVE El Taquila- the food is consistantly delicious. It is NOT "Americanized" and in fact some of the dishes have unique flavors that you would not find at the typical Mexican restaurant. I can highly recommend the Pollo de la Mexicano (chicken in a spicy- not hot, but with lots of complex flavors- garlic sauce) and the pork in red pepper sauce, just for starters. The staff are attentifve and friendly. The prices are VERY reasonable, with many entres costing $8-$10, with generous portions. You would pay the same at Don Pablos or any other Mexican chain, but the food would less flavorful.
The only downside is that the place looks like a bit of a dump, being located at the end of a humble strip mall- but it is well worth visiting!

Reviewed 13 September 2012

I've eaten here many, many times over the years. The food is typical Americanized Mexican food. The pinto beans are homemade fresh and are good and their homemade salsa is good. Nothing really bad to say, but, nothing extraordinary either.