“expensive for lower end”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Northfield
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northfield
Northfield, Minnesota
“expensive for lower end”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

stayed several months due to work, from the beginning hated it. Room was very small not even the normal size of a hotel room. Heater would never shut off and blew cool air longer than warm air, so didn't even use the heater used my own. Never once did I use cold water because the hot water was never even hot enough to use cold water. Lots of ants in the bathroom and it is winter at the time hate to see what summer would be like. Room clean enough and staff friendly that's the only positive. Rented a seperate room one night for family to come visit and they couldnt use the room until bed time due to the fact that no one turned on the heating even knowing it was going to be occupied for the night...$80 something for renting and when they were told the next morning no one seemed to care about it. Won't recommend this hotel to anyone, only stayed that long due to it was the cheapest in the area for monthly renting which was twice as much as what I payed in the last spot I was at.

Room Tip: Rooms with just one queen bed are very small and bring your own heating unit.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
wilton, ct
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I was staying alone for a quick over nighter and liked the cheap rates. The place is a little dated and smells of stale cigarette smoke. The staff (I only saw someone at the desk) was friendly enough, but couldn't accommodate an hour's later checkout, even for an additional charge.
I took a shower which set off the room's smoke alarm. I had to call the desk for them to be notified, disturbing.
There was a window heating/cooling unit. I set the temperature to 71F and it started to blow cold air. I turned off the unit and the room was warmer without the "heater" on, but effectively no temperature control for the room.
It's a two story hotel with no elevator.
On the plus side, the quilt was an old fashioned patchwork pattern, the bed was acceptable, the tv was a CRT unit, but worked fine. I was grateful for the free WiFi. I usually take it for granted but wasn't too sure after my initial impression.
The coffee maker is on in the lobby 24/7. The breakfast is mostly carbs, some boiled eggs, and bananas. I didn't try the food, but took a banana.
I'd requested a non-smoking room, but the hotel reeked of stale cigarette smoke.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jskim
Naperville
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed three nights and had a handicap accessible room
The room was clean and everything worked. There was no
microwave, fridge or coffee maker in the room. The clerk
said there are no coffee makers in the motel. There is also
no decaf coffee served here for breakfast, but McDonalds
is a half mile away and Perkins is next door. Sunday morning
breakfast was very busy and they had run out of hard boiled eggs
by 7:30 am when I went for breakfast. The sweet rolls and biscuits
were of good quality at breakfast. I would have liked decaf coffee or else
a coffee maker in the room. The lighting in the bathroom was
low level and could be improved. Overall I was satisfied with the motel
as a good value for Northfield Mn.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Joe H
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Wi-Fi had problems in the evening but better in the morning....large room two queens beds...fridge, microwave no coffee maker, fridge placed down on the carpet, old tube TV,
iron and iron board, pool, jaccuzi, quiet location handy to stores, helpful staff, good air con, heating window can open for fresh air, clean and tidy room and bathroom, window curtain need=s a curtain guard to stop it blowing out when air fan is switched on..... extra bedside table required, bathroom exhaust fan is very dirty and needs cleaning.....breakfast is very good, tea, coffee, juice, fruit, toast, scones and gravy, waffles, boiled eggs, cereal, ilk, very good..
Yes i would stay here again....

Room Tip: ask for large room and check price first before taking it..
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Russell E
Reisterstown
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Over the 4 years that my daughter has been a college student in Northfield, I have stayed at all of the hotels in town. My experience at this hotel was excellent - room was clean, bed comfortable, all appliances worked well, staff were helpful, breakfast was just like all the rest of the hotels, and it was quiet. I only heard a barking dog a couple of times and that was in the middle of the day so it was no problem. I can agree that there is a bit of an odor in the hallway, but there was no smell in my room. For half the price of the "nicer" hotels it town,it is well worth it. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Saint Louis
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We stayed here two nights while visiting colleges in the area and had a pleasant experience. The room price we got was great, and the room itself was clean, with everything working and ship-shape - including the wi-fi. Breakfast was better than expected and the service staff were very attentive and accommodating.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul D
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Hotel smeells like a combo of pet dander and cigaret smoke rooms smell the same .
You get what you pay for and that's true discount hotel so if u don't have any extra money It will do just fine price should be lowered a little or fix the stuff below but I understand its not a 4-5 star 250$ room but its easy to remove that smell
Bottom line it had rooms open thank god but would never have stayed if the other hotels had rooms ..needs some work that's obvious inside and out but nothing expensive at all pretty much all labor hire a new property manager that has respect for his work and done..... 1--PAINT building to at lest try an compete with your competitors down the street on the highway..

2-- shampoo the dang carpets! what 20 min max each room if you own one ? Hope so

3--fix little easy stuff like the other comments on here easy faucets etc yes I looked at them was wondering how many other people had my same issue and they do over 50% do might wanna take that as a sign.
Really that's it average hotel ..

Place could be average 2-3 stars
Just don't let people smoke in the non smoking rooms and only allow pets in certain rooms would do a lot for the musty smell just buy a carpet cleaner a good one I'm guessing that wood fix the problem and make it move up a star by removing the pet dander and whatever smell and this carpet machine would be free if you used the pet deposit money towards it please fix the smell no idea why u have not already the reviews are here to help not only the customer but also the owner I would use this as free advice that people do not wanna say to you or your staff in person then correct it ASAP or figure out who is accountable for this then respond back to ...

Trip adviser can make u extra money for you doing nothing or cost you money for doing nothing ... Simple as that.

1--- respond back to asap trip adviser saying smell no longer a problem we stand behind that word it better than that ..weather or not u think there was a smell more than likely its true I'm guessing the person in charge here smokes maybe or has a weak sense of smell . ?respond back to trip adviser they might remove the post if not you show you care saying It was addressed and not a problem anymore stating what u did to fix it or what u did even though you did not smell anything or u did smell it whatever .
!!!easy fix shampoo rooms

2- apologize to the guest that had to deal with this smell problem offer them something anything even an apology saying there issue was addressed and fixed out of the respect you have for your customers .manager has access to do this with trip adviser and should because u pay him to do his job and if he does not search reviews to always try to improve your hotels ratings etc he simply does not care easy as that .fyi Internet is what 80% of people use to locate a hotel and with the hi tech collage not one but 2 u think in that little town u own this hotel in visitors might using the web to find a place to stay I think so I'm but I would assume the owner or investor group is not close by or the property manager would be fired...

Ok this comment is different yes the reason being I can not stand places that have the issues brought up well more than one time and do nothing I spent way to much time doing this but place upset me bad get a clue any person can smell this and get a different staff front desk does not care or even ask how it was I just made a statement the about the smell she replied with ya I'm sure it does .. So ok I'm done look at the reviews I'm wasting time workers or manager have heard about the problem that's a fact ..

I'm not an expert on hotels at all and wouid not wanna be at all but I own several places of business and do understand keeping it up and what it takes to get repeat customers to back for over 20 years come to my shops I own 8 auto care centers and would say my shop we work in smells a bit better than your rooms and my lobby is cleaned every night or the manager takes the blame not the employes that clean then he disciplines them in his own fashion for they are a team and kinda like a chain effect I just start the effect and they end it.. But we never have that problem more than a time or two because I only hire employee that treat it like there own out oc respect for how I treat them I'm done. Thanks for wasting my time making me right this like I wanted to take a clue

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Minneapolis-autos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfield
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Northfield
Americas Best Value Inn - Faribault
Days Inn Faribault
Days Inn Faribault
#3 of 5 in Faribault

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Northfield? Share your experiences!