“Did not stay the night”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Northfield
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northfield
“Did not stay the night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were in town to visit a college. Since it is a very small town our options were limited. Also, it was the summer visit day for the college and I had a hard time getting a reservation. We pulled up to the hotel and we could see that this hotel needed quite a bit of work on the outside. Also,this hotel is obviously used by traveling construction workers as several were drinking in the parking lot when we arrived. Inside was much better. It was clean although old. Our room was clean except for the bathroom. It appeared that the cleaning person did not lift the toilet seat when cleaning the room. The room was very hot and we thought that it was because the AC was not on. After cleaning the bathroom we went out to drive around town and when we returned, despite having put the AC on as high as it would go, it was still hot. I went downstairs to speak to the desk clerk. He was on the phone with someone needing directions. He could not tell this person the address of the hotel. We ended up getting a refund as we were told that nothing could be done to fix the AC and they didn't have a room large enough to accommodate. Fortunately, I was able to get a last minute reservation at another hotel down the street.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kim S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The people were OK but the whole hotel smelled horrible - a combination of mold and smoke. The smell alone and the old carpet just made me feel dirty, the place needs a complete overhaul and for over $100 a night I was extremely disappointed. The A/C in the room wasn't great either-it never cooled down and just felt muggy in the rooms. Whats more embarrassing was I recommended this place for my guests to stay for my wedding reception.....definitely should have checked the place out before we committed to staying there and recommending it.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katherine K
Marquette, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed here for our son's hockey team this past February. This is not normally the type of hotel we would pick to stay in. Call us spoiled I guess.
The first time we stayed here I didn't like the older heater blowing on me all night long from the window but the second time with the team, we booked a suite which had a little kitchenette, pull out sofa, king bed and the heater that was much better than the first room.
We arrived at about midnight after a treacherous 11hr drive. We were greeted by this fabulous lady who welcomed us with a big smile and big hug. You could tell right away what a beautiful person she was inside and out. She went out of her way and actually helped us carry everything to our rooms. Ok so this has never happened before except for bellman who expect a tip. Her husband, Bernie, was as kind as she, Debbie, was. The warmth and hospitality we felt from these two people was amazing. If you have a situation, they will be right on it. They go out of their way to help you out. I don't know where these two get their energy from but I would like some. Must be those fantastic home made Scandinavian donuts that they put out for breakfast.
Location is also very close to Target, groceries, gas, car wash.

Room Tip: I would definitely go with one of the upgrades larger rooms with kitchenette, sink, fridge, table an...
2 Thank Anne J
Wichita Falls, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Due to the horrible ice & snow...we made a pit stop for the evening in Northfield. we stayed at the americas best value, we were welcomed with hot coco & had a nice WARM stay (it was artic freezing out!) , the kids enjoyed the pool & breakfast was good.. i was happy with it

2 Thank kelly j
Prairie Village, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice now. Both times the ownership has bent over backwards to make my stay pleasant. I have chosen it because it is lower priced and I'm in town to spend time with my daughter while she is in college - would rather spend $$ on her than a hotel room. Now I'll choose it because the owners are so very nice and accommodating. And, breakfast included homemade donuts. Hard to beat that.

1 Thank MaryAnn M
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for a few months...im still staying here for at least another month while my husband is working on a job here .I dont usually do this review thing but .Im in the hotel all day almost everyday..& i get bored so I thought i would see what others have wrote about my "current home" & to be honest Im shocked.its crazy how everyone is reviewing as the experts!I have had no major problems , the housekeeping is good...I visit with the front desk staff almost daily & it's like a home away from my own...I also get the chance to visit with other people that stay from all over the world & most everyone seems happy , i dont hear people complaining & ruinning for the doors as some of the other reviews say.....I personally like it here one of the best hotels I have stayed at & I have been on the road for many years with my husband. I would come back & reccommend

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ashley m
Northfield, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

stayed several months due to work, from the beginning hated it. Room was very small not even the normal size of a hotel room. Heater would never shut off and blew cool air longer than warm air, so didn't even use the heater used my own. Never once did I use cold water because the hot water was never even hot enough to use cold water. Lots of ants in the bathroom and it is winter at the time hate to see what summer would be like. Room clean enough and staff friendly that's the only positive. Rented a seperate room one night for family to come visit and they couldnt use the room until bed time due to the fact that no one turned on the heating even knowing it was going to be occupied for the night...$80 something for renting and when they were told the next morning no one seemed to care about it. Won't recommend this hotel to anyone, only stayed that long due to it was the cheapest in the area for monthly renting which was twice as much as what I payed in the last spot I was at.

Room Tip: Rooms with just one queen bed are very small and bring your own heating unit.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfield
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Northfield
Days Inn Faribault
Days Inn Faribault
#3 of 5 in Faribault
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Faribault

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Northfield? Share your experiences!