“Stay somewhere else!”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Onamia
Bakersfield, California
“Stay somewhere else!”
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I used to own property on Mille Lacs Lake and always wanted to stay at Izatys. I got my chance this year when I returned after many years and stayed at the lodge.

The room was spartan--didn't even have a telephone! The one chair was a hard back--not much above a stool. The TV was small screen. When I returned to my room on the evening of the second day, the room had not been made--no evidence of maid service. I mentioned this to the desk clerk and was told that maid service is only provided when a guest asks for it! Also, the wi-fi in the room didn't work and I had to go to the reception center a half-mile away to get connected.

If these property owners are trying to emerge from bamkruptcy or other financial difficulties, this isn't the way to do it!!

Room Tip: Insist on maid service daily!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank deacon5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
thunder bay
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband booked us a night at Izatys Lodge on the recommendation of a friend. They had a great deal for $69.99 per person which included one night stay and all you can golf. We really lucked out with two beautiful hot October days to golf.

Izatys is a tucked away off the highway and I imagine it is quite beautiful year round. Unfortuntately for us, we caught the end of the fall bloom and most of the leaves had fallen off the trees. This made for quite the challenge golfing trying to find our balls in piles of leaves but I only have us to blame - we really should have kept our balls out of the sides and on the fairway! (lol)

We stayed in the Lodge right beside the golf course. The lodge is in an old character building. The room was small, the shower was even smaller. My poor husband had to duck to get under the shower head as he is 6'3". Television was really old. They could do some upgrades to the room most definitely.

On the upside, the building was very quiet, So quiet you would have thought we were the only people in the building! They have laundry facilities onsite and our room view was overlooking hole one and very pretty. The bed were comfortable and the room was clean. We also had a small fridge, microwave and coffee pot in the room.

We were provided with a $10 coupon each for the restaurant above the golf clubhouse to which we took advantange of using at dinnertime. The restaurant was very nice and the food was great. We were very disappointed however, that the restaurant is not open for breakfast and there was no where around our room to have breakfast without driving back into town.

Beautiful area, great golfing. We would definitely consider coming back again but perhaps staying in one of the townhouses which look very modern and spacious.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Austin, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We rented a 4 bedroom condo right on the lake through VRBO. The unit we stayed in was very clean and well kept. Lake views and sunsets are awesome. Golf course (Black Brook) is very tough but fun. Pool and hot tub at the clubhouse are fun and there is a bar with food right by the pool. There are a lot of different units here for rent and different prices. Each has different ammenities and some are better than others. Overall this is a great place for fishing, golf, and hanging at the pool. Most units by the lake have huge yards for games and fun!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Isanti, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 July 2010

There are several different options to stay at Izatys. There are 2 BR beach villages where we stayed. These are individually owned places and have different amenities depending on the owner. The first room we got was not very clean, very hot and no internet. The manager was very nice and found us another one that was much nicer, clean and had internet. It is a two story two bedroom unit. The view from the beach village rooms is gorgeous, overlooks Mille Lacs and you feel like you are at the ocean because the lake is huge. We had a screened in patio on the first floor and a deck off the master bedroom on the second floor. There is a full kitchen but I was disappointed that there are no washers and dryers in the units. They also have Lakeside Townhomes which seem to be much newer and I believe from other reviews they have washers and dryers in the units. I don't know if they are owned by Izatys or not. They also have rooms in the lodge which we didn't see. There is a nice pool that was open and a hot tub. The restaurant has very good food. It can be a way to walk from the beach villas and townhomes so if you have trouble walking, those may not be good options. If you bring a boat, it is not convenient. You cannot keep them at your unit, they have to be kept at the marina and it is right next to the lodge but you have to drive a fair amount (probably 3/4 mile) to get there.... Also, there is a 20$ charge to use the boat launch!! We drove up to Isle and used the public access instead as that seemed ridiculous being a paid guest. We were told "everyone pays it". I had heard about the bankrupsy but it must be under new owners? We didn't find any evidence of that and the pool and all facilities were open. We also were told there was going to be a new website next week that would have pictures of these beach house villas so you can see what each one has to offer. My other suggestion is that they have a couple of young gals working at the check in area. They really don't know much and when you ask questions they can't answer them. There should be better training for employees. They should know what is available in the rooms, etc which they don't. They also couldn't answer if we had to pay the launch charge. That would be a suggestion. I think they also need to have a list of what each of the beach villas offer - internet, washer/dryers, amenities etc. Other than that, it was a nice stay. The resort is close to Grand Casino Mille Lacs which we used one day as it rained all day. There is a grocery store in Isle which is about 6-7 miles north of the resort.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 July 2010

How fantastic! Izaty's is a true vacation resort. It has all you could want. They are on Mille Lacs Lake-HUGE; fishing poles and bait to use, large fishing boat that will take you out on the lake, boats to rent, a phenomenal pool that I spent 3 days at--music, poolside bar, food, great service and just alot of fun and relaxation. I stayed at the lodge; a hotel, which was spotless. They also have very nice and trendy lake side townhomes for rent.
The service is friendly, the restaurant is enticing, and the management is superb. They should be booked 100% year round, this was better than flying somewhere and only a two hour drive from the Twin Cities. A great place for familes as well. I met quite a few families who were there doing a reunion!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 20 May 2010

I was looking for a getaway close to the Twin Cities, and took a chance on the Resort at Izatys (the new name for this facilitiy). It is under new management. This was a huge surprise. To find such a beautiful facility so close to home on a gorgeous recreational lake was a pleasant surprise. The facilities are spotless, modern and located in one of the most beautiful park-like locations I have ever seen. Everything one would want is here--golf, fishing, boating, tennis, swimming, and snowboarding and skiing in the winter. Nearby are beautiful state parks, a casino and charming little towns with gift shops, cafes and good food. I want to commend the restaurant in the resort. The food is some of the best I have eaten. Don't miss it! The prices are a gift for this five-star resort. I am a little sorry to be giving this positive review. I want to come back, and I hope the news of this great place doesn't get out too fast.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank wbeeman
Izatys Townhouse
Reviewed 26 September 2009

We have been going to Izatys for years. This time we treid one of the privately owned townhomes. They are right on the lake versus near the lake. This one is inbetween the harbor and the lake. Me and my wife spent the week there, and during the later part of the week and especially the weekend, the kids showed up with our grandchildren. It worked out great. Everybody came and went as their schedules allowed. We just set a defined time for lunch & dinner and the girls took care of everything. I got to golf with the boys, she got to go to the casino with the girls. The grandkids had a lot to do. We built a fire on the beach at night. The kids really liked that. I took the grandkids fishing two at a time on the dock. Like the cabins of old but with modern luxury. Cable, softwater etc. The view is astonishing. You can sit an hour with a cup of coffee in your hand just watching the boats come in and out. It's our understanding they have 2&3 bedroom places. But we took the 4bedroom place. Not that expensive. It's not like a hotel. Everything is provided for you. The sheets and towels are all there. Washer dryer if you need them. The owner comes in after and cleans up.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ELarson559
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onamia
Eddy's Resort
Eddy's Resort
#2 of 5 in Onamia
Grand Casino Mille Lacs
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Mora
McQuoid's Inn & Event Center
Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Resort
The Red Door Resort & Motel

Been to Izatys Resort? Share your experiences!