“Great for business and family stays”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Owatonna
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have been to this hotel a number of times for business. Unfortunately, I have never used the water park that is attached to the hotel but, visiting children come down the halls dripping wet and smiling. This hotel, though a bit dated, is maintained well and kept clean. The staff is always welcoming and their on site restaurant is reasonably priced with a limited menu. If you're visiting Cabellas you can walk across the parking lot and stay the day!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Daren W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Mjsymmes, Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to complete a review. I hope you will continue to stay with us and one day maybe you will venture into the waterpark, it is a fun time for more than just children. Sincerely, Daren Wradislavsky, General Manager.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stopped here with my 4 and 8 yr old girls on a Sunday nite after daylong drive I have no idea what it's like on fri/sat but was completely empty on sun nite, which you have expect.

This is not WI Dells so don't expect that size of waterpark. But it had lazy river, a 2 story body slide, another 2 story inner tube slide, splash pad and basketball pool. It was small enough where I could keep eye on both my kids the entire time. And there was only 1 other family there the entire nite

They also gave us 4 free kids meals coupons. I paid for 1
adult and both kids ate free. For dinner AND for breakfast! Big bonus for single Dad. And there was a lounge to grab a beer for the waterpark.

Room was fine. Arcade had some broken machines but for a overnight getaway? it was perfect!! My kids loved it

• Stayed: June 2014
Daren W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Bigbartguy, Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate you staying with us after a long drive. I am pleased your kids enjoyed our waterpark. Of course on a Sunday night you had a lot of space in the hotel, or weekends are definitely busier. I hope you will come visit us again since you are just up the interstate. Sincerely, Daren Wradislavksy, General Manager.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My 8-year-old daughter and I stayed at the Holiday Inn and Suites in Owatonna Thursday, July 10 while on a Laura Ingalls Wilder homesite tour. I was so glad I found this place! The room was fine. It was large, was clean, and had microwave and fridge. The beds were very comfortable. I'm picky about pillows, and I liked this hotel's pillows.
The waterpark: I loved the Africa theme with all the African animals. The hot tub is even tucked into a corner and has "rock-lined" walls, to make you feel like you're in a hot spring in Africa. My daughter isn't a great swimmer, and at first she splashed in the zero-entry area, let the elephant trunk spray her, and went down the small hippo slide. We also rode the innertubes (which are provided) around in the lazy river. About the time she was brave enough to go down the big slide, we found a life vest that the pool had on hand. It was so great that they had it. With the vest on, she went down the slides over and over. The innertube slide was really fun. The regular slide was really fast. No, this waterpark isn't huge, but for a hotel swimming pool, it's absolutely super.
The waterpark opened in the morning at 9 a.m., checkout wasn't until 11, so my daughter was able to swim for an hour or so in the morning, and take a shower before we checked out.
The front desk and waterpark staff were all very nice and helpful.
I do wish the hotel offered a free breakfast, but I knew ahead of time that they didn't, and the waterpark was a great trade-off for a free breakfast.
A heads up -- there is construction on Highway 35 just south of the hotel. Highway 35 is down to one lane both directions, and the exit south of the hotel is closed (the exit at the hotel is open). It didn't make things too difficult for us. Traffic moved along when we went south to get fast food, and when we came back north to the hotel.
My daughter had a wonderful time. We were very happy that we stayed here.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Daren W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Eskiedogs, I would like to thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn during your Laura Ingalls Wilder tour. I hope you had a great time on the tour visiting the sites and towns in Minnesota. I really appreciate you and your daughter choosing to stay at our hotel and I am thrilled that the waterpark was a thrill for her. I hope you will stay with us in the future if you return to Minnesota. Sincerely, Daren Wradislavsky, General Manager.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The front desk staff was wonderful, very helpful and attentive - very welcoming. The restaurant and bar staff were also great however the Saturday morning breakfast buffet was only fair. The pool area was nice, everybody had a great time, nice place for family fun!
We stayed in a King Suite and were very disappointed in the room. The king bed was fair, the pull out sofa was disgusting. Mattresses were old. The heater/AC unit was very old, the vents could not be directed, it blew right at bed, hard to regulate, did not ever shut off. Kept us awake much of the night, The floor in front of heater/AC was wet and we were told it was due to the change of seasons and cold winter??? (this was in June) Other rooms seemed to be better, we paid for a suite and sure got a bad one. Very few linens were provided, barely enough blankets for the sofa sleeper.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Daren W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Fromthenorth, I would like to apologize for the conditions of your guest room at our hotel. I am pleased the staff was friendly and helpful, but I am disappointed in the condition of the guest room. We strive to make sure every guest has a great stay and fell short of your and our expectations on your visit. I will be sharing all reviews with our managers to rectify the situation. I would like to discuss your visit further if you would email me at daren@hiowatonna.com, I would greatly appreciate it. Sincerely, Daren Wradislavsky, General Manager.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We brought 3 grandkids, one mom and ourselves and stayed in a family suite. Our only issue there was one bathroom for 6 people! Since 7 waterpark passes are included so it is a pretty good value.
The waterpark is fairly small, but that helped us keep track of the kids. They had no trouble keeping busy and having fun with what was there. It was a weekday, so not crowded. We also appreciated the constant attention the lifeguards paid to the kids in the pools.
We did eat at the restaurant at dinner and breakfast. Service was friendly and fast. Kids eat free and there were several reasonable choices on the menu for the adults to keep the bill in check. The adult meals were quite good, but the kids meals were just OK. They were happy to see desert was included!
I would not give high marks on cleanliness in the elevators and hallways in particular, but we have seen much worse at some other waterpark hotels. Overall, this was a good experience. Close to the Twin Cities for a nice getaway.

Room Tip: Lots of kids, so choose a top floor if available.
1  Thank Dan W

Dear Dan W, Thank you for taking the time to review you stay at our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed the waterpark for the kids. I have brought your review to the attention of the housekeeping manager and kitchen manager so the elevator and hallway cleanliness can be addressed. The kitchen manager will also address the kids meals. I hope your family will stay with us again in the near future. Sincerely, Daren Wradislavsky, General Manager.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel during a baseball tournament in town. Think they were 13 families there with 14 or 15 year old boys. All the families had an enjoyable experience. Rooms were spacious, clean, very comfortable beds and top-notch linens. The hotels close to everything you need and the staff was very helpful as well. It takes excellent customer service to impressment, and I was impressed!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Daren W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Shanraec, Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to complete the review. I am pleased you and your team enjoyed their stay and I hope you will stay with us again soon for tournaments or just a family get away. Sincerely, Daren Wradislavsky, General Manager.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed with our family of 4 for an overnight before a wedding in Owatonna. Our room was great! Spacious with two queen beds and options for soft or firm pillows. There was a flat screen tv and a decent sized bathroom.

There is an indoor "water park" on the property and you get access with your stay. The pool is decent - it's a little outdated, but there is a 0 entry area for younger kids. My son loved the kiddy slide and the elephant fountain. There is a lazy river and a body slide and tube slide. We had a blast on the tube slide.

I'd pass on the restaurant on the property. We ate there for breakfast. The food was decent, but the space is in a state of disrepair. The fabric on the seats in the booths is tearing away and there are many other signs that the space needs some loving. The wait staff was very accommodating, but we'd most likely choose to go somewhere else for breakfast if we find ourselves staying in the hotel again.

Overall a great stay. The kids had a lot of fun at the pool and the room was nicely furnished and clean.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Daren W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Troy S, Thank you for staying at our hotel for your wedding accomodations. I appreciate you taking the time to submit a review of our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed the waterpark and guest room. I apologize for your experience in our restaurant. We will be updating and remodeling the restaurant shortly and hopefully you will be able to see the difference in the future. Sincerely, Daren Wradislavsky, General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Owatonna
Baymont Inn & Suites Owatonna
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Owatonna
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 8 in Owatonna
Boarders Inn & Suites Faribault, MN
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Owatonna
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Faribault

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna? Share your experiences!