“High Price Low Quaility”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Owatonna
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Owatonna
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed in a double queen room that had so many fly's we had to get a swatter from the front desk and our reply was I have been killing fly all day, this was from the front desk. I would not stay here again. We had a 1st floor room and that is the best thing I can say about this place.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have traveled a lot over the years and I do not require a 4 star hotel to meet my needs. This being said my needs are pretty simple for a one night stay. Clean room, working temperature control, working TV and alarm clock, comfortable bed, clean bathroom, hot shower, and breakfast. Everything met my needs, and we had free Wi-Fi, a heat lamp in the bathroom (I love those for some reason), wonderful water pressure and hot water (even had to turn it down a little), there was a safe in the room (although I did not feel like I needed to use it at all it was nice to have the option. I also enjoyed the window seat and how close the hotel was to Fleet Farm and Target. It never fails that I forget something when I travel.

The breakfast selections hit the spot, good flavorful coffee, yummy juice and tasty oatmeal for me. My daughter enjoyed chocolate mini doughnuts and hard boiled eggs. My husband devoured some bagels and several other breakfast treats.

The staff was wonderful from to check in to check out. There was a slight miscommunication about our reservation (not the fault of the hotel) that was resolved quickly and we were still treated wonderfully. I have stayed at 4 star hotels who act as if changing a reservation is manager level crisis, and that is why I like small town motels, it was just not a big deal to correct my mistake.

I loved how friendly everyone was and for a one night stay had everything I needed!

1  Thank StaciaAnn
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

For a Microtel this location is a little on the lower quality side.

From the outside the building looks ok. The area is a little rougher looking with a truck dealer near by which for some reason likes to park their trucks in the hotel lot.

The lobby was kind of plain and featured a small fish tank on the desk with only a single goldfish in it nothing else. Kind of felt bad for the fish.

After getting checked in we pulled around back to go to the room. We found the door that you should have to use room key to enter was unlatched and does latch shut on its own.

Our room was located on the 3rd floor. The first impression once arriving to the floor was not good as the hallway was being used for old used mattress storage. Also the floor was hot, muggy and smelly.

Room was typical Microtel 2 bed layout. For the most part the room was ok just needs some good deep cleaning and maintenance. A/C unit was really dusty. There was a cigarette left on top of the dresser. The bathroom door didn't latch well. Small stains on the walls here and there as well as one on the ceiling. Nothing super horrible but not up to what you expect. We had an older tv and microwave, no fridge.

The room featured a safe with no key so it was useless. From reading other reviews you will see there is a sign at the desk about $1 safe charge. I'm not sure if you can get a key at the desk or what but my thought on the safe charge is that this just someone being very cheap. And some of the upkeep of the hotel shows that as well. It's just a buck but still. Just figure it in the whole rate and it would make the guest feel better.

Overall it's an ok hotel. But if you want a larger room, that's cleaner and has a flat screen tv, microwave, and fridge. Check out the Budget Host Inn like we did. The outside is older but the rooms are great. But the outside doesn't alway match the inside. Plus it was $15 cheaper!

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Nice motel for a reasonable price. While we weren't in the room very long, it was quite satisfactory.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here about 3 years ago. Certainly not like it used to be. Not updated like other Microtels. Our blanket had holes in it like something had chewed on it. Towels very scrawny. Breakfast had an unappetizing crock pot filled with what appeared to be sausage gravy. Think Wyndham needs to check this one out. For $80 + tax not a good value Other reviews I just read are spot on.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Owatonna
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Owatonna
#8 of 8 in Owatonna
Days Inn Faribault
Days Inn Faribault
#3 of 5 in Faribault

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Owatonna? Share your experiences!