“Took my money, Cancelled my reservation”

Baymont Inn & Suites Owatonna
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Owatonna
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I had (2) reservations for rooms and when I arrived I was told that the rooms were not available due to renovations. I don't know how they could take a reservation a week earlier and than not have a room without notifying me. We were told that we would not be invoiced and a week later I was charged a cancellation fee. I will no longer make any reservations with AmericInn, I had to drive 45 minutes to find another room.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
AIOwatonna, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Owatonna, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time share your reservation experience. It’s unfortunate that we did not have the specific room type you requested and could only offer you comparable rooms. This can happen when a reservation is booked through a third party website since they sometimes book a room reservation but not a specific room type. Ninety-nine percent of the time we are able to honor the guest’s choice of room type at check-in, but sadly we could not accommodate you. By booking reservations on the brand websites this issue will not arise in the future.

We are dedicated to providing the highest standard of service for each one of our guests. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you in the future. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Went to Owatonna for a family wedding. Selected the hotel since it was close the reception hall. It was also right off the highway and walking distance to some fast food places. We called ahead and request a early check in if possible since we were come from a great distance which they accommodated us about 1.5 hours prior to check in. Staff up front was ok, not great or bad. There uniforms did look a little sloppy, same with a few others I seen around. The hall we were on at the hotel seemed to be replacing the kick board or molding. We were there two days and seen nobody working on it Made it have a low quality feel. The room was partially update with a flat screen tv and granite on the bathroom sink area, but it was very small/tight. The carpet looked outdated/older, along with the bed covers. The breakfast was ok. I would say the room it was in wasn't big enough to accommodate the number of people there and again had a low rate feel. Bottom line is my wife and myself were glad to leave and wish we would have stayed 4 miles north at the Cabela's exit. Nicer restaurants, area and hotels.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Jack S, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Owatonna, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us at the AmericInn Hotel & Suites Owatonna and thank you for your feedback. As you pointed out - yes - we are in the middle of a lot of changes that will make our hotel better! We are updating - carpet, new granite and sinks, new furniture, and beautiful new linen ... even our staff uniforms will be different. As you came on a weekend, we of course were very busy and it would have been very inconvenient for anyone to be working when the hotel is full. But, during the weekday, the hotel is full of contractors working as hard & fast as they can to get the work done! I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced and I invite you to come back and see the changes. We are on track to be done by the end of summer! - Thanks so much for the comments and call me directly to make reservations for your next stay! Sincerely, Jennifer Martin - General Manager

Reviewed 6 July 2013

My husband and I have stayed several times at the Owatonna, MN AmericInn Motel. The rooms have always been clean and comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. If back in the area again, we would definitely stay at the AmericInn.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for the review! It is always good to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you back soon! Not only are we clean - comfortable and in a great location ... we are investing in the hotel to complete renovations by late summer! We are very excited to be even better in the future and hope you come back to see the changes! Thanks Again!! Jennifer Martin - General Manager

Reviewed 25 June 2013

The girl at the front desk came off as very crabby upon our arrival. She never smiled once. When we arrived at our room, the key cards didn't work. I went back to front desk and the girl re-scanned the cards and said they were having problems. She never apologized for the mishap. Room was okay except for the fact that there was a lot of long, blonde hair wrapped around the handle and back of the hairdryer (gross). The bathroom light switch was on the same wall as the shower head and in line with the tub. I felt the light switch was a hazard being so close to the shower. I refused to take a shower or use the hairdryer. There was a different lady at the front desk in the morning and she was very friendly (which helped redeem the hotel). Otherwise the location was good and the other areas of the hotel in decent condition.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Patty P

Good or Bad ... We love to hear your feedback. I am so sorry that the service you received at check-in was not at our normal standards. We have continuous training to address issues such as this and I am glad that you found a friendly face upon check-out! I also will use this review to help "open the eyes" of the ones that clean and inspect rooms. ALSO, although the light switches are up to code and we have not had any problems ... as we do our current renovations we are moving the light switch because of this perception. I hope that you accept my apology for any issues you might have had. I also invite you to come back to see and experience our new renovations! These improvements, that are due to be completed by late summer, are sure to put us in the "way above average" category! Thanks again – Jennifer Martin, General Manager

Reviewed 15 June 2013

We had 2 rooms and everyone was happy. The kids loved the pool, despite swimming lessons going on for part of the time. The breakfast was very good. Most exceptional is the front staff. They went out of their way to help us enjoy our stay, especially Sue S. Restaurants near by. Easy on and off I-35. Brochures and maps of attractions available.
Warm atmosphere. We really liked this motel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments!! It sounds like your experience here was good and then made even more special by our wonderful Lead Guest Services Rep - Sue! I am glad the kids loved the pool! Just so you know ... we try to give back to our community by letting our city use the pool - however - we never want to inconvenience our guests! This relationship is being looked into and we will probably discontinue the Community Ed Swim Classes in the future and find another way to be involved. Thanks for the feedback ... & ... Please come back to see us soon! Jennifer Martin ~ General Manager

Reviewed 14 June 2013

The room was clean, the internet worked fine, and there is an Applebee's across the parking lot. The staff was friendly and responsive. The only problem was the breakfast, where they ran out of eggs, and some other items. Lots of construction workers here, and they brought their appetites.

Room Tip: There are three entrances. We parked our motorcycle under the portico at the east entrance. The ea...