“If a reptile fan you'll love it!”

RAD Zoo (Reptile Amphibian Discovery Zoo)
Saint Cloud, Minnesota, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“If a reptile fan you'll love it!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

My two animal loving children loved this! Its a small set up, not fancy, but interesting to see. Had i paid full price i wouldnt have been happy but with half off tickets, it was worth it.

MN
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Many animals.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

It wasn't a flashy setup, but they had a vast amount of animals displayed. Everything from amphibians, turtles, snakes, alligators, some birds, etc. The animal displays tended to be small, but were clean. They even brought out a boa constrictor for us to pet. My four yr olds got a kick out of that. Very warm in the building even on a coolish day but thankfully the smell from all the critters wasn't very noticable.

In a sitting area they have a bunch of toys for kids to play with which I'm assuming is for little ones who are too young to care much for the displays. However my kids wanted to play with the toys instead of look at the animals. :/

It's definitely on the higher price for admission fees.

Overall a cool experience, but now we've see it, so no need to revisit anytime soon.

St. Paul, MN
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 218 helpful votes
“staff have no knowledge”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stopped by on a Friday afternoon recently as my daughter likes creatures. The cost was about $9.00 a person which surprised me. If she wasn't insistant we would have left as there is nothing that really draws you in once inside the door. It is just a huge metal building with glass boxes and a huge black plastic tarp hanging in the middle of the large room. The boy who took our money was unfriendly and offered no explaination of the place or suggestion on how to visit the exhibits. He barely even said anything more than how much money we owed.
There was not another person there the entire 45 minutes we were on our own private tour. There were 3 young people working there who just sat and visited with each other. We asked if they had any shows that day and they looked at us if we were crazy. The answer was "no".
We enjoyed the reptiles but had some trouble trying to figure out what we were looking at as some of the signs were gone. But it was fun to see the huge python and alligator. We did not find it to have a smell and it seemed clean. A few exhibits had dirty glass but guess that is a problem with the humid nature these creatures need. It was fascinating to see so many reptiles from far away. But their staff is horrid. There was no reason they could not step up and show that they like their jobs and that they even knew anything. Especially considering the length of time we were there and being the only people there. Whoever owns this place should check up on what their employees are doing when they are away. We are from out of town and I would not suggest anyone to drive down there to see this place. It was wrong to be treated as though we were an intrusion on their space.

5 Thank 2gothere
Minneapolis, Minnesota
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 259 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Housed in an unassuming warehouse, this zoo is well worth the drive to visit. I was very impressed with the cleanliness and lack of a heavy reptile smell normally associated with zoos like this. There are a variety of sizes of both displays and reptiles, including a huge alligator. They also have educational programs at which time a zoo employee handles several animals and talks about their habitat and foods. They patiently accept questions from the children in the audience and after they are done they offer to let everyone touch a very large snake and a small alligator. They also offer photographs taken with the snake or alligator for a very small fee. There was much more to see than we expected even after we entered the building, and we spent a couple of hours there. I would definitely recommend and I would like to visit again.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank minirose
Minnesota
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“nothing like other reviews”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

My boys and me visited RAD on a Saturday. There were probably two other families in the building with us. The exhibits were very small and I am not a fan of such animals but I actually felt sorry for most of them due to such small cramped places. The building smelled and came off dirty to me. It took us about 25 minutes to walk through the entire exhibit. The staff consisted of one kid working the cash register and there were no shows going on or any animals to touch or hold.
I was not impressed and we will not be going back. I wish we could have had the same fun experience others write about. However that was not the case for us.

Visited January 2013