“Doesn't get the credit it should”
Review of The Eat Shop - CLOSED

The Eat Shop
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Highway 55
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I'm surprised with the number of negative reviews. I've eaten here 5 times now & will continue to come back. I haven't had a bad dish yet. The kids meals are great - loved my daughter's mac-n-cheese. It wasn't the typical Kraft from a box other restaurants serve. However, I try to come here without my kids now, as it can get pricy bringing the entire family.

I love their salads. I've tried just about all of them, and all were great, especially the BLT.

I have had several sandwiches, and my favorite was their BLT with Avocado. I think this was just a special for the day. I'm not sure if it is always on their menu. They have good burgers as well.

They renovated the outdoor area and have fireplaces that look to be cozy during the Fall and Spring (maybe not now in sub-zero weather).

As another reviewer mentioned, I too am concerned this place may not survive. It doesn't seem to be very busy whenever I am there. Just the same as Joe Sensor's that was here before Eat Shop. I was eating there the week before it shut down and mentioned the fact there was no one in the restaurant. I hope it sticks around & more people discover the place. I have been recommending it verbally to neighbors and friends.

I'll be heading back here in a couple weeks for a date night with my husband. I'm looking forward to it!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We are obviously not the demographic they are seeking (we are boomers). We were seated and then we were ignored for 15 minutes, finally acknowledge and then ignored again. It is not that the place was that busy either. We were there for happy hour and the appetizers were just fair. Too bad, an independent restaurant is needed in this part of the world. We will not be back.

1  Thank ACT63
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Ate here with family on a Sunday at noon. Had hopes as the food was supposed to be locally sourced, which I like. First strange thing upon walking in was the lack of patrons at a typically busy time of the day. We were seated near the kitchen, which is open for easy viewing. It was nice to view all of the dishes before they were served. Service was really quite slow for the number of patrons in the place. Food was a mixed bag in our group. I had the bkfast burrito, which was very good except it wasn't very breakfast-y. A few in our party said their hot sandwiches were lukewarm.

Not sure what identity this restaurant is going after. Whatever it is, they should start with better service and consistent food quality or an identity won't mean anything.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We had lunch on the patio last Sunday. We could chose from either the brunch or the lunch menus...a hard decision for me because there were so many interesting choices. I had the salad with pear, walnuts and duck leg confit. It was exceptional! So much duck that it felt positively decadent. Others in our party had the hamburger with perfect French fries, and another salad with prosciutto, olives and sourdough croutons. Really big servings. The little ones ordered the mac and cheese. This was a big hit with one 3-year-old, but the other 3-year-old wouldn't touch it because it didn't look like Kraft mac 'n cheese. Her loss. Service was warm and friendly. They were great with the kids, making sure they got served quickly. They had gluten-free choices. We will go back

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I went into here unknowing what it was about; just stopped there for a Friday night dinner. It started off great, because I saw on their menu they prefer organic, locally grown...I was like, yeah, I may just love this place and come back often!! But....then it went downhill. 1) The service was slow. The wait staff while really nice and knowledgeable, were understaffed and running around like crazy. Not their fault. 2) The dinner we ordered, they didn't' have chicken. ??? Ok...so, a substitute; the scallops. They are 'known' for their scallop entree. Um...the scallops were barely cooked (I know some people like theirs that way, but I prefer mine warm all over, not just seared on the outside.) I have had a lot of good meals in my day, a bit of a self proclaimed hippie-foodie, but this meal, was like a great chef prepared meal that an amateur chef tried to recreate and failed. Just blah. 3) My sons mac-n-cheese, seems simple, but they have their own recipe and he was not impressed. My husband ate most of it but even then, it was like $5 for some noodles and cheese? No sides, I had to order fruit for the side at an additional cost. $8 kids meal my son didn't like.

I feel really bad saying this, because maybe it was just a bad night, but I don't think we will be going back. If we do, it will be only to give the place another shot and I won't be bringing my kids with...

On the bright side, the place looked like it would be fun to meet friends for Happy Hour.