“Not recommended for more than one night”

Days Inn Plymouth West/minneapolis
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Ok if you are just passing by, cheap rate, one night, quick shower and out.. Close to a couple of decent sport bar restaurants and down the road from grocery store, movie theatre, etc. Otherwise, as we stayed for five nights, here's what happened....checked in to a room that was not prepared for a new occupant. Quickly moved to a different room on another floor. This hotel is also undergoing renovations smelling like old smoke and a bowling alley. The new room received equipped with one towel for three people. As the days went on there were no wash cloths, received bath mats as towels and had to use hand towels for wash cloths. Gave up calling front desk. They did not stock up on tissues, soap for the shower, or accommodate with ice. The second floor ice machine was broke. The fourth floor ice machine only produced about five ice cubes. First morning of continental breakfast produced one bagel and a couple donuts for at least 7 or 8 people that were down at the time. Bananas didn't come out until the second day and stayed out and brown until our fifth day which were then not replaced. Oatmeal packets were supplied but the hot water dispenser was taken away on the second day. They did have a waffle maker but didn't get refilled until someone had to ask. By our fifth day no syrup was left. There was a smoke detector in the eating area disassembled. Animals are allowed in the hotel which made the elevator reek of animal dander. Front desk staff showed no hospitable mannerism. Old tv in the room. Bureau drawers broken off track as you pulled drawer out it fell down. As we tried to fix it back to place found dirty old dusty shirt in back of drawer. Lined drawer with hand towel before I put my clothes in. We then went on this site and found reviews about this hotel that I never thought are written to be true but definitely will believe and read reviews before I choose our next hotel stay. A hotel under renovations is not an excuse to use for bad accommodations. Management should be going out of their way to provide extra toiletries, fresh food, use febreeze and vacuum.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TerRi52014
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Plymouth West/minneapolis

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hotel is MESS. Musty smell, room carpet damp to the touch, 1st Floor windows won't lock, Kitchen for breakfast filthy, laundry room where towels, sheets etc washed dirt on floor and walls, old dirty pieces of fabric lying in corners, shelves of excess laundry dirty and messy. The cleaning staff was non English speaking, seemed surprised when conditions were pointed out.
Front desk staff was often missing, found sitting in breakfast area. Front door landscaping...unkept, vibrant weeds growing, deep wheel tracks crushing plant material. A MESS.

Room Tip: FInd room in the neaby Comfort Inn or Best Western across the xpressway.
1  Thank Catty A
Reviewed 22 June 2014

- This hotel was in the middle of a renovation while we were there which compounded the other problems.
- The parking lot was also being resurfaced and parts of it were without blacktop and had huge gaps or bumps in it. There were cones everywhere that did not seem to correspond to any of the work being done.
- We had a reservation for 4 people and there were 2 sets of towels when we checked in. I had to go ask for more.
- Our room smelled of paint fumes when we checked in. There was still blue painter's tape on the wall over the sink. We had to keep the window open because of the fumes. The carpet looked to be in need of a good vacuuming. There was dust on the dresser some of which predated the renovation.
- The a/c fan was very noisy.
- The curtain wands were separated from the curtains and only partially functional.
- There must have been a smoking area below our window because cigarette smoke wafted in through the open window. It was a a non-smoking room.
- The bathtub was old and had anti-slip adhesive strips in it that are peeling off. Ick.
- The room had two double beds but we requested a fold-out cot because it was going to be too crowded with 4 people in the the two beds. The fold out cot was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept on. It had only a very thin mattress and the springs poked through.
- The breakfast was a joke. They ran out of coffee both mornings and there was no one available to go get more. The "fresh" fruit wasn't. I was was old and wrinkled. The first morning a staff member came through a few minutes before 10am (end of breakfast) and announced that breakfast was over and turned off the waffle makers... while my waffle was still cooking. The second morning they ran out of syrup for the waffles.
- It seemed that more often than not, the maids were using the elevator with one of their carts. I'm guessing that the freight elevator was out of service due to the renovation.
- I was able to access the wi-fi the first night we were there but not the second. My sons were not able to access it at all.
- The front desk was woefully understaffed. At night, there was sometimes no one there an I had to wait for someone to show up. Once I asked some guy, not a hotel employee, doing paperwork at a table in the breakfast area if he knew where the staff was and he said they'd be right back.
- There was no iron or ironing board in the room. My son requested one at the front desk and was told it would be sent up. It wasn't. He went down to ask again and the desk clerk didn't seem to know where to find an iron or ironing board. He suggested looking in the storage room that they were using for all the items that had been pulled out of the rooms under refurbishment. She went and found one there.
- When we got back to the room at 11pm on Saturday night, we discovered our room hadn't been made up. I had to go ask for more towels. The desk clerk had to go find some and came back and gave me the towels which turned out to be bathmats. I took them back and he went and found towels.
- On Sunday morning I waited in line for over 20 minutes to check out because there was only one clerk at the desk. One of the customers in front of me in line had a billing problem that the clerk couldn't resolve and ended up having to call the corporate office to get help. The desk clerk and the customer had to get on the phone to try to get the problem straightened out.
There was a police officer, not a security officer, a police officer waiting at the front desk to speak to someone about a case involving someone or something at the hotel.
- When I checked out, I explained all these complaints to the clerk but he said he couldn't comp anything, I'd have to speak to the manager but she wasn't going to be in for another hour. I did not wait for her. I tried calling her after I got home and was told she would not be in for the next two days. I asked for an email address for the manager and was told she didn't have one, but was given contact information for the regional manager. I'll be following up with her.

Room Tip: Room 315 shared a wall with the elevator mechanical room. It was ridiculously loud.
3  Thank Kristina S
Reviewed 22 June 2014

writing this review late cause I just join trip advisor but we stayed in dec 2011 and this palce was run down and reeks like smoke... even non smoking room... GROSS... room were not very clean.. and bed were horrible.. we checked in late at night and didn't sleep one min do to the big spider in our sink... we planned on stayin 3 night... soon as morning can we were check out and i told them how horrible it was and the lady at front desk said were in the middle of remodeling..so feb 2012 came and my mom stayed there and called me to find her a new room same problems we had.... there in a hotel right in the same parking lot way way better and clean...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dwm28
Reviewed 20 June 2014

1  Thank Lynn D
Reviewed 17 June 2014

1  Thank Matt D
Stacy_Goode-AM, Manager at Days Inn Plymouth West/minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Reviewed 13 June 2014