“Conference experience terrific!”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Plymouth
MN
“Conference experience terrific!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

To be clear: I did not STAY at this hotel.
I experienced it from the point of view of an individual setting up and attending a conference in their facilities.
From that angle, the Crowne Plaza was excellent. Their people were easy to work with and willing to negotiate. Prices are reasonable. When "the day" came for the conference, they handled us spectacularly. The hotel even had a staff person near the entrance, directing conference attendees to the right places for registration and breakfast.
The conference rooms and spaces were great, the staff was very helpful and friendly, and above all - the FOOD was amazing. AMAZING. Just what you want when you are hosting a conference where people are coming from near and far.
The CP prepared lovely, professional signage for us and were available quickly if something was needed.
The location is a little "out of the way", but for a conference that works out well - you don't tend to have people straying next door to shop!
I would definitely consider them again as a conference venue.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Winona, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

As a Platinum Priority Club member for more than twelve years, I have come to appreciate the additional services and luxury Crowne Plaza's generally afford. This is an older hotel, but it has been nicely updated with good quality furniture, fixtures, and bedding. The room is comfortable, with the possible exception of a somewhat finicky heating and cooling system.

The main reason for my "average" rating was the lackluster service, general feeling of snobbery, and the distance needed to access your car from your room. At check-in, we were advised that there was a wedding reception taking place, so we should move our car right away. Unlike many properties that have offered upgrades, certificates for breakfast, or some other treat for our Platinum standing, we were told to move our car. We did not plan to stay in the check-in area past the time it took us to check-in, but this comment made us feel unwelcome. Several hours later, when we left for dinner, the reception had not started yet, so I think we could have walked, rather than jogged, to move our car.

It is hard for me to put my finger on what rubbed me the wrong way, but there are locations that manage to feel both elite and welcoming. This location just feels pretentious. In addition, the parking area was a very long way from our room. I would guess that we had a walk equivalent to about 4 city blocks with two outdoor stairways to get to and from our car. Anyone with restricted mobility should consider contacting the property to see if there are other options that would make the property more navigable.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Jerrod S, Manager at Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
DocAnne1,
We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write a review of our property. I cannot stress enough how important all guest feedback is to us as it is imperative to constantly improve our property and product. We take great pride in our property and guest service standards as we are ranked among the top of all U.S. Crowne Plazas for over all guest satisfaction. It is discouraging to hear how your parking issue was handled by our Guest Service Representatives. We strive to ensure that all guests are welcomed in a warm and genuine manner and even more importantly to show how much we value our platinum guests. Again we regret that this issue of parking location impacted your experience at our hotel and would love to not only speak with you further about this issue but invite you back to stay with us in the future.
Please feel free to reach out and speak with me.
Thank you again for your time.

Jerrod Simkins
Director of Operations
Jerrod.simkins@gmail.com
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I visit Minneapolis every year for a conference and I always stay at the Crown Plaza. The facility is gorgeous, service is excellent and the food is a sumptuous feast. Each meal is above and beyond and I am always stuffed because I can hardly resist all of the wonderful dishes and especially the deserts! Also, I swim every morning in their heated pool! Great hotel and I highly recommend it for special retreats.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

My wife attended a workshop at this hotel and so my son and I came to meet her there. The hotel was quite isolated, in terms of areas to walk to from there. But the hotel itself was big, clean, and really friendly. Bonus points for having old skool arcade games!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

Stayed for just one night. The hotel is very nice. The King Executive Suite seemd a bit cramped even for two people, though it was a nice room. I reserved a King Executive suite with breakfast. The voucher I was given showed an expiration date of the date of check-in which should have been for the next day. The young man who checked us in told me that we had been given an upgrade to an Executive King Suite, uh, no, that is what I reserved. I don't know why he said that. Maybe he thought someone he was trying to impress would overhear him.

The hotel did not seem to have very many reservations for the evening. I would think that the room with the view of two large rusty propane tanks in the rear would be left to the last available rooms. Just from reading previous reviews this hotel will only offer you what you expect, no one is going above and beyond customer service.

Now that I am back home and reviewed by bank account activity, I have been charged about $30 more than what my bill shows. I called to get this corrected and after I was placed on hold for an extended amount of time I was put into someone's voicemail(not given a head's up that this would happen) whom I assume will be available on the next business day to resolve my issue. This is not satisfactory. The only reason I will consider other hotels over this one in the furture is not because of the facility itself, but becaue of the people running it.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for what you want because it will not be offered to you without you asking.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear 19Julie79,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Plymouth.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Canfield, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

Stayed here for a 3 day business meeting. Room was #1026.

Upon arrival I was greeted and asked if I needed help. I advised I was there for a business meeting. The gentleman advised what conference room to go to and immediately tagged my luggage and held it for me behind the desk.

The conference room was very nice. Had a huge screen for the presentations - which made it nice if you sat in the back of the room - everyone could see the screen. Each break had drinks & snacks and was always monitored and nothing ever ran out.

The room was very nice - it was in the newly renovated area. Room decor is in various shades of browns. Room has lots of plugs! A nice thing for all the electronics a business traveler has these days.

My company had dinner as a buffet style. Food was good, good selection and always restocked.

Only complaints - tub did not drain very well and the shower seems to have some kind of hot water regulator - I was getting hot/cold intervals.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Grand Forks, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

This place is very nice and well hidden from most of the public. That is until you realize where this is located and then you can navigate the area and find the many area restaurants and shopping.
My wife and I went to the Albertville outlet mall the first day, and planned to stay overnight in Minneapolis suburbs and then make our way back home the next day.
We also got an upgrade from the front desk manager and we enjoyed the overnight there.
Room was clean & nice, and the bathroom was clean as well. Kuerig coffee maker was nice.
I did hear off and on people talking and laughing til the early morning hours. But that wasn't that loud either. Great hotel and will be back again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Minneapolis West
Residence Inn Minneapolis Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
#4 of 8 in Plymouth
Ramada Plymouth Hotel and Conference Center
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis/Maple Grove
La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis-Minnetonka

Been to Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West? Share your experiences!