“Good Food but a little Legalistic”

Frontier Steak House
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Princeton
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stopped here for Easter lunch with some in-laws. I had no expectations and was pleasantly surprised to find a very nice Minnesota style salad bar. Iceberg lettuce blend with lots of topping options, side salads, hot side dishes and also included soup and an ice cream bar. I had the ham dinner special which came with mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing and sweet potatoes. No need to cook Easter dinner with such food available!

The service was good, though it was very busy. Luckily we arrived before noon and were able to get a table right away without reservations. After twelve, there was always someone waiting. I am guessing this is because of Easter, but can't say for sure. The prices were good for the amount of food and good salad bar options. This place fits the bill for a nice Minnesota family restaurant in price and options.

The only downside to the experience for me was the legalistic menus. Apparently, there is absolutely NO SHARING of the salad bar or items, and no taking home anything you don't eat from that either. Which I always thought was expected when you got a salad bar, but the menus spelled it out plainly in an unfriendly way in a couple places. Also, if you split your dinner, both people MUST buy the salad bar that comes with it. My grandmother once took a tomato off her husband's salad and they charged her for the whole salad bar. So just be warned that they mean what they say.

Other than that, we enjoyed our time there. And we're just about ready to warm up our leftovers for our Easter dinner.

1  Thank Julielee

Reviewed 30 March 2013

If you want a good family atmosphere and really good food. Then this is the place to go. They have great steaks. And their prices are real good. You get the all you can eat salad bar and soup bar with your dinner always such good size helpings

Reviewed 28 March 2013

Feed 8 people for $70.00 and everyone is satisfied. Four adults four children not one complaint. Salad and desert bars are great.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

OK...so it is not Smith & Wollensky or a Ruths Chris; but, this basic steak house offers a lot of value for money in this rural Minnesota town.

The salad bar offers variety and runs par with many others found in Minnesota...the land of water, snow and iceberg lettuce! There is even a "hot" bar that offers mac and cheese and a few other comfort foods.

Service was attentive and friendly.

1  Thank TraveljohnsonJ
Reviewed 29 November 2012

At first glance from the outside, this place looks old, outdated, dilapitated, and a little gross. Upon walking inside. . .you'll feel the same way. I've lived in Princeton for about ten years, and have only been to this place twice. The most recent time we went, I sat in a booth that, when you sat down, you felt like you were going to fall through the seat. The table was sticky, the service was slow, and the all around look of the place had me questioning weather or not I'd want to eat anything cooked in that kitchen.

It's called a steakhouse, but don't be fooled!!!! If you want a good steak stop in at the local grocery store and cook one up yourself! What you'll get here is a tough piece of overcooked meat.

I should say, their prices are great and if you're a family on a budget, you can feed em all for not a lot of money, but if you're looking for quality. . .head somewhere else!

1  Thank AmyJoPeterson