“A little on the pricey side for Red Wing but worth it”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Red Wing
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Red Wing
Mpls, MN
“A little on the pricey side for Red Wing but worth it”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Hotel room was very clean, staff was very helpful and the location is great. The restaurant across the street was very good and convenient. The price is a little high for Red Wing but for me staying there on business was worth it. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Catherine D, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Red Wing, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We appreciate all feedback about our property and staff. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our staff, location and restaurant next door. It is one of our favorites, as well!

We strive to make sure that each of our guests have a comfortable and positive experience. Please let us know if we can assist with any future reservations. We look forward to your next stay whether for business or leisure!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Eau Claire, WI
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We paid $117 per night for a small two-room suite with a TV in each room, a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker. It was quite adequate…seemed a little expensive for an off-season, mid-week, dead of winter stay, but we knew that when we made the reservation. It was frigid out and the heating system worked beautifully and was easy to control. My husband thought he had asked for a quiet room when he made our reservation (we called and reserved because I wanted to make sure they had HGTV on their cable—they did and the staff member who answered the phone was so pleasant he just went ahead and made the reservation – rather than check their online price). But we ended up on the 3rd floor overlooking the noisy highway. There was traffic for as long as I was awake. If you are sensitive to noise, you might ask for a room on the other side of the hall. It might be quieter. The breakfast was included and quite nice. There were some hot items and a waffle maker and cereal and fruit etc. They also had cookies and coffee and tea and hot chocolate available in the lobby at all times. The coffee was good and we took advantage of it. I always leave a tip for the housekeeper and ask for what I will need for the next day….e.g. fresh ice bucket liner, coffee machine refills, etc. And I got a nice “thank you” from the housekeeper. During the second night of our two-night stay there was a violent winter storm of ice, snow, howling wind – the electricity even flashed off and back on. Had to dig out the next day. The night of the storm, my husband very carefully walked over to the smokehouse/grill sitting in front of the hotel and brought back delicious sandwiches. It was a very nice stay and we would stay there again. Maybe not in February when Red Wing seems to be mostly closed. Our tip is don’t get married in February if you live in a cold climate, because travel for your anniversary celebrations can get very dicey! : )

Room Tip: Perhaps the non-highway side would be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Catherine D, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Red Wing, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience at our property. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our cookies, coffee and breakfast. Also, We are happy we had HGTV for you during your stay! We appreciate bringing this to our attention about the location of your room. We do our best to meet requests and apologize if this was missed. We would be more than happy to make sure that you have a room facing the backside next time you are in Red Wing. We look forward to welcoming you to our property again!

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

This is the first time I have stayed here even though I come to Red Wing a couple times per year. I originally was put in a room on the lower level which had wheel chair access. This was not the room I had booked which ha a kitchenette, I hate eating out every night so the kitchenette helps. The first night in this room was horrible, the sound of running water in the walls started about 04:30 and then the sound of the ht water pipes heating up ad contracting added to the noise. I asked to be changed out of this room to what I originally booked and my request was accommodated. I was moved to the second level, the suite was excellent, had a great living area and kitchenette along with a bedroom off it and good size bathroom.
There is a small gym in site, typical set up of cardio machines.
Didn't A&E the pool while here but looks to be a good size.
Breakfast was as you would expect, scrambled eggs, bacon etc with fruit, yoghurt available.
The restaurant on site is ok, not a place I would want to eat at every night but I do recommend the Walleye.
Overall, I'll be back here in the future, great hotel and great staff.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our breakfast and fitness center. We appreciate you letting us correct the room type. We are delighted that you were more comfortable in the suite. We appreciate the input and thoughts about the restaurant . Our staff would love to recommend other options in town during your next stay. We look forward to your next stay!

Iowa
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We like to come Red Wing to go antique shopping as a family with us three girls and our mom. This year our niece was with us so we splurged on rooms for more space. We did the two room suite and the Queen suite with a sitting room. The two room suite had a bedroom off the first bedroom. When we arrive it was only putting out cold air. We had maintenence look at it. We we told it was fixed but again that night when we got back it only gave cold air. We informed them in the morning and we're told they would look into it. A call later said nothing was wrong with the heat but maybe with the door shut into that room that there wasn't enough air movement to circulate the air. To me this ruins the whole point of a two room suite to have to leave the door open to be warm. They gave us 5% off due to the inconvenience of having maintenance come. We shouldhave gotten the priceof aregular room. We've stayed several years in a row but probably won't be back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank laurietope
Catherine D, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Red Wing, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the heater during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for Catherine Dilley, General Manager.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Good place to stay with family if skiing at Welch. Clean and quiet. It's a mile or two from Red Wing, so no walking to downtown but still close. Indoor pool area with a very slick pool deck. We will stay again on our next ski trip to Welch.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Catherine D, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Red Wing, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate the feedback you provided about the pool deck. We will make sure to monitor and correct this for our guests. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed skiing at welch. We love welcoming skiers and snowboarders! We even have a package available that includes two ski lift passes to welch. Again, thank you and we look forward to your next stay.

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This review is a bit overdue.... but better late than never, right?!

I stayed late last year for my wedding. The rooms were clean and big (which was great for the girls getting ready). Staff was all patient and polite while dealing with the large crowd checking in... A smile was on the receptionists face the whole time.

I really wanted to say thank you for the understanding over the evening. I myself was long gone with my bride, but from the stories I hear some havoc (partying!) was had back at the hotel afterwards. There was no damage aside from some hootin n hollerin... but still!

Thanks for the hospitality!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Catherine D, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Red Wing, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you and the wedding guests enjoyed the hotel during the wedding. I am pleased to see that our staff was welcoming for all guests and helped when they could. We hope we can welcome you and your family back the next time you are in Red Wing!

IOWA
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We spent two days over Thanksgiving at this hotel. It was perfect for a family get-a-way! The staff could not have been more friendly. We were greeted warmly by everyone from the front desk, breakfast helper, housekeepers, and handyman. We rented a two-queen bed suite. My son and his family slept in the bedroom while my husband and I had the fold-out couch. Breakfast was nice. Books for all ages are available for check-out in the lobby. My grandchildren enjoyed snuggling near the fire as I read to them. Cookies for everyone in the afternoon at the check-in window. There is a TV in the breakfast room so our family camped out there for the Iowa Hawkeye victory over Nebraska! The pool was a little chilly for me, but my grandchildren thought it was fine. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Catherine D, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Red Wing, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our staff, breakfast, guest room and pool! We strive to make sure that each guest has a comfortable and enjoyable stay. We look forward to your next stay!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Red Wing
Nichols Inn Red Wing
Nichols Inn Red Wing
#5 of 9 in Red Wing
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cottage Grove

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Red Wing? Share your experiences!