“Best Pulled Pork I've Ever Had”

The Smokin Oak Rotisserie & Grill
Ranked #4 of 53 Restaurants in Red Wing
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Golden Valley
“Best Pulled Pork I've Ever Had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We were in Red Wing just yesterday and decided to try this place out despite some reviews to the negative side, and found these reviews could not be more wrong. The aroma coming in the door was great, service was superb and the food nothing short of fantastic. I had the Memphis style pulled pork, and it was simply the best BBQ sandwich I have ever had, and the beans were also great. My wife had the BBQ chicken sandwich and loved it, and we even ordered a half rotisserie chicken to go. We plan to go back next time we are in town and would highly recommend this place to anybody. As far as ambience, this place was fine, not sure what other detractors out here are talking about. Keep it up, Smokin Oak, great job!!

• Visited July 2014

Orlando, Florida
“Good cheese curds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Came up to visit family and stopped by this place. The cheese curds were very good. Also liked the fact I could get beef stroganoff here, which is very hard to find in my neck of the woods. The brisket was also excellent. Overall a pretty good experience.

Visited July 2014
Fargo, North Dakota
“Delicious aroma as you enter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This restaurant was a bit out of the busy area of town and very easy to find. As we came in the door we were greeted with wonderful smells and the site of a very large rotisserie. I had the 4-rib dinner and it was so tender and tasty that I would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves smokey ribs - no sauce necessary! The service was good and the prices were reasonable as well.

Red Wing, Minnesota, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Manager Has a BAD attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

When my boy friend and I ate here I asked the staff person if I could trade my barbeque baked beans for something else she told me I could change it for mixed veg's. Now to me mixed veg's are carrots, peas and green beans. They did not say vegetable medley that has peppers and onions in it. I went to the manager and told them that they need to change things on the menu to tell people. He started yelling at me and saying "Thanks for wasting his chicken and ribs" I would not eat them because I can't eat any thing with peppers or onions in it.

1 Thank Rita D
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Enjoying fathers day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

The restaurant is located along MN Hwy 61 in Red Wing MN and sits in front of a Country Inns and Suite's hotel. The exterior is designed with a log cabin look to it, giving it a northern Minnesota appearance. As you enter the building, you are greeted by a large wood burning rotisserie with dozens of chickens baking in the heat from smoldering oak logs. The first sensation that greats you is the heat from the burning logs followed by the wonderful smell of the oak log's burning. If you like the smell of camp fires, you will love the aroma presented by the burning logs. This original presentation of the rotisserie is much easier to enjoy when coming in from a cold outside Minnesota winter day than a hot August Minnesota day, but still the aroma is delightful.

The interior of the restaurant fails to continue the theme of the exterior log cabin and is more of a modern meeting room feel. As you enter to your left is a bar and straight ahead is the greeting area and restaurant area. The restaurant has many windows looking out over the hi way and parking lot area. The seating arrangements are a combination of booths along the wall with tables and chairs along the inside. There is also a special gathering area available in the lower level, but we did not inspect it.

We were seated immediately as we were eating a late lunch, early dinner at 4:00 am. The wait staff was adequate and very pleasant to discuss the menu and options available for drinks and meals. The drinks were delivered quickly, and the orders for the food were taken shortly there after. As this was our first visit here we had several questions concerning the food and were provided complete information concerning the items and expected taste. Meals were delivered within a reasonable time and refills of drinks were provided during the wait.

We had several dishes between the four of us. This included Bull bites a Minnesota fair favorite, that they duplicated on their menu and was small bites with great flavor, and the sauce was excellent. I ordered the Smokin' Oak barbeque nachos with The pulled pork generously lathered over the top of the chips, and provided as a side. In self was worth the trip, as the combination of pulled pork, cheese and chips, were delightful and filled with flavors. We also had the rotisserie chicken quesadilla, that was excellent.

We had held off ordering our main meals and upon eating the appetizers, we were glad we did as we were all full and never made it the to the main course. The people around us appeared to prefer the rack of ribs as six orders of these were delivered to the people around us. They were full racks, and the plates failed to contain them, even though they were served on large plates.

Final results, we would and will come again and bring friends with. When full the restaurant and bar will feel slightly cramped, but not intolerable.