“Great little B&B”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Moondance Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Wing
Moondance Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Red Wing B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great little B&B”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

My husband and I stayed there on a recent weekend trip to Red Wing. Overall the B&B is very nice. We received a tour from a young girl (related to the proprietors), and then she checked us in and showed us to our room. Everything was very comfortable. There was shampoo, conditioner, and soap by the tub and soap in the bathroom. The only drawback was that the Jacuzzi tub in the room was the only place to bathe (No shower in room). However, there was a public bathroom on the first floor, with shower and heated floors that we were welcome to use. My husband and I prefer the private bath, so we just made due with the tub (there is a hand held shower head), but both of us prefer a stand up shower.

Breakfast the next morning was good. Yogurt parfait, muffins, stuffed french toast, ham steak and a pineapple upside down cake for dessert (only on the weekends).

All in all, an enjoyable stay! The owners do have dogs, but they are hypoallergenic. And while they don't live in the house, they are in the main house during breakfast. It didn't bother us, but I could see where it might bother some patrons.

I'd recommend the Moondance Inn!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank albucknam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
St. Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

This place rocks.

If you're going to a B&B for beautiful surroundings (the ceiling lights alone are worth the visit), fabulous hot tubs (that really DO fit 2 people), comfy robes, yummy, yummy breakfast, and uber gracious hosts, you'll love this place.

And during our stay, they even had little bottles of shampoo etc. Good grief.

Room Tip: They're all beautiful. You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Harrypog
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

The house is gorgeous, lovingly and beautifully restored and furnished true to its era. The decor is ornate but not girly or frilly like so many B&Bs that feel like a doily factory exploded in them. Sumptuous and classy.

The owners were welcoming, informative, and helpful but not the kind who try to act like your new best friend. I appreciate that because when I plan a getaway, I have my own plans/agenda, and like to decide for myself when I feel social and with whom.

I did feel a few things could be improved a bit, though. For one thing, the front sidewalk and steps were not well cleared of snow and ice or sanded/salted, and that is dangerous. (There is a back entrance but a newcomer wouldn't know that.) Also, only bar soap is provided--I have never stayed anywhere, not even the cheapest motel, that did not supply shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. The room also had a notice forbidding bubbles in the whirlpool tub because it is supposedly bad for the jets. Really?? A bathtub isn't made to withstand bubble bath?? Part of the luxury of a getaway with a big romantic tub is to luxuriate in bubbles.

Breakfast I would call hearty Midwestern comfort food. Tasty and filling but not especially gourmet. There was a wine-and-appetizer gathering in the evening, though, which was a nice touch of extra hospitality, especially with a roaring fire in the fireplace.

Overall, a very lovely and friendly place that could just use a little extra attention to the details to take it to the next level.

• Stayed February 2013
Mooresville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

I was traveling with a group of motorcycle friends. This was our first stay at an actual B&B. We were all apprehesive of the unknown. (loud, no privacy, bothering other guests, stuffy owners, etc) Nothing could have been further from the truth. From the moment we pulled in the driveway the owner walked out in the rain to greet us. Normally they don't want you tracking through the house in shoes and I certainly understand why, but he allowed us in to get out of the rain and said not to worry about it. We knew right away we had made an excellent choice.

Hot chocolate and fresh homemade cookies were waiting on us! Perfect after riding in the rain from IA and the fall chill. Gave us a brief history lesson on the Moondance and then showed us all to our rooms. Very well decorated and homey. All had private big baths. I will say, as a man, I do like a shower. If I had to pick anything and I am really searching to even say this, a shower would be nice vs just the big jacuzzi tub. Then again, I doubt they get many bachelors staying. All the others were couples and enjoyed the big jacuzzi tubs. There is a shower downstairs now that I think about it. I forgot.

We all sat out on the front porch having an afternoon cocktail and was joined by the owners. It was like conversing with old friends. What a great night of friendship. It was so enjoyable, we completely missed dinner. The owner suggest a local pizza delivery. We ordered several pizzas and to our surprise the owner had went inside and set the tables for us to go inside and eat. A very nice gesture.

After an excellent nights sleep went downstairs early to grab a cup of coffee and check emails and work on our blog. Was in the big living room, enjoying coffee, the quite, it just doesn't get any better! Breakfast was served right on time and was perfect!

We finally got packed up after lingering as long as we could. We even told the owners we hated to go. The next B&B will have some big shoes to fill! This place is perfect for couples and groups. We rented the whole place except for one bedroom and we met those folks at breakfast. We all laughed like having breakfast with a large family. Will definately stay there again if in the area. I hate it's so far from NC!

Room Tip: I actually had the "Kings" room. Street side, but never heard a thing. Nice big comfy be...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Floodwood, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

This stay at the Moondance Inn was our second one, celebrating our anniversary both times. We were greeted by Mikes warm and welcoming smile. Mike and Chris seem to have an innate ability to make guests feel welcome at their B&B. Built in 1874 the structures charm has been preserved with the dark walnut woodwork, high ceilings and furniture from the era. The semi circular staircase, gave this B&B a romantic feel. All the rooms, which are on the second floor, have whirlpool tubs for 2, toilet and sink. Downstairs has the sitting area, dining room and bathroom with a large shower that has 2 shower heads. The third floor has a large sitting area with a TV for those who cannot live without one. Every afternoon there is a snack of some sort, whether it be fresh baked cookies during the week or appetizers on the weekend, its a great afternoon treat. Breakfast is a feast of fresh fruit, baked goods, and the main course all freshly made that morning. Special diets are accommodated. One has many beverage choices including their own coffee blend. There is also dessert at breakfast on the weekends. This is a gracious and warm place that transports you back in time, making it a delightful get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. We go to B&B's for the ambiance, warm, relaxed, home like feeling, and friendly conversation. We love the fact that there is no phone or TV in the rooms, that would take away from the experience. Our thought is if you want want to waste your time watching TV, or need to placated with little bottles of toiletries that you never use to be happy you should go to a hotel or stay home. B&B's are not for you.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet as all are according to other guest
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandy S
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

Our recent stay at the Moondance was nothing but charming. The owners bent over backwards to accommodate our group of 8 people; I don't know what was warmer-- the fresh oatmeal cookies, or the hospitaliity. Each of the rooms was clean, spacious, and comfortable. Breakfast was delicious. The coffee is fantastic, as was the service. Will see you next year!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dunedin, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

A recent stay at the Moondance Inn left us not wanting to visit a B & B again and we have stayed at some of the country's and Canada's finest. The online pics are beautiful and the common area (living room) of the Inn is just that. This historic home has great character and I believe the owners have put many hours into its restoration, however...the service and amenities lacked luster. First, there were no toiletries in the rooms; no shampoo, soap, conditioner or lotion. Since the doors to several other rooms were open, I checked to see if maybe it was just an oversight in our room, but it wasn't. None of the rooms seemed to have anything. My husband and I had to buy some at the local grocer. Then, no blowdryer or iron. When I asked Mike (the owner), he politely told me where a linen closet was located and told me to help myself. I nearly pulled a stack of hangers onto my head trying to reach one of the old blowdryers that was stacked with several others on the top shelf of the closet. Next, we like to sleep w/4 pillows. Our bed had 2 so I looked in the armoire (which wouldn't close all the way because of a broken latch on the door) and there were 2 extra pillows w/no pillowcases so we couldn't use them. The bedspread seemed old and worn. The linens were certainly not luxurious as described. The breakfast was ok - quiche, apple suasage and a bowl of fruit that was not quite ripe, and chocolate chip bread, which was a little stale and not warm. No butter anywhere. Salt & Pepper was available but you had to grab your own mini shakers from the buffet, along with your own juice, coffee and water - which is ok - but initially, it should have been poured for you. Beautiful 2-person jacuzzi tub, but only a hand-held wand to act as a showerhead. The guest bathroom downstairs off the livingroom had a small shower so my husband used that the 2nd day - not convenient at all. After our 1st night there, we left after breakfast the next morning for a day of sightseeing. We returned to our room after dinner around 8:30pm and our room had not been serviced; the bed was not made and no clean towels. No wine or sherry set out, just milk and cookies, with just one cookie left and some milk. We were scheduled to stay a 3rd night, but left early the next morning. A 3rd night was just too uncomfortable to deal with. And...no tv - which again was ok because we had great books with us, but the room's lighting was to dim to read by. We had the king room which faces the street and it could use a spring cleaning - the ceiling fan and light fixtures were dusty. The owners also do not mention a train that blows it's whistle nearly every hour thru the night. Could not sleep. Also, the back entrance used by guests is very beat up, overgrown and dirty. Could use some curb appeal by the back door. I truly believe the owners feel they provide a great place, but it was evident to my husband and I that they probably have not operated a B & B before to know what makes a customer feel at home.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple