“not bad, but not great either”
Review of Fiesta Mexicana

Fiesta Mexicana
Ranked #16 of 56 Restaurants in Red Wing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 January 2014

my husband and i are here from California where Mexican food is amazing, so we came here with pretty average expectations, and that's what we got.
Chips were OK, they were warm and crunchy, salsa was good.
I ordered a crunchy chicken taco and cheese enchilada. the taco shell was like what you buy at the store in a carton, so not too impressed. I would have like to have had a freshly made crunchy taco shell. these where on the same par as a taco bell taco shell. the chicken was good. rice was good, but beans seemed salty to me.
the cheese enchilada was ok, nothing that i would crave or want to go there specifically to eat. i think the ones I make at home out shine these.
my husband had the white cheese chicken enchiladas and he said they were ok.
service was fast, almost seemed too fast! made me wonder if the food is all pre-made?
if we ever visit again maybe we'll try the margaritas...

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The food here was excellent and the service outstanding. I highly recommend this if you enjoy authentic Mexican food. If you speak Spanish, it will be even more satisfying to speak with the waiters and owners and watch their surprise.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We noticed this restaurant was busy while driving past on the way to checking in to our hotel and assumed was good local restaurant so we decided to try it. The service was extremely good and the food quality decent. A bit over-priced for the small portion we received after ordering fajitas for two compared to other mexican restaurants we have visited.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

After moving away from the Red Wing area almost 6-years-ago, I was excited to visit Fiesta Mexicana once again. After having dinner there this past Saturday night, I can't remember why I missed it so much. The service is as fast and friendly as ever but the food was terrible. We arrived about 7:00 PM and there was hardly anyone in the restaurant, which we thought was odd because when we lived in Red Wing this place was packed at that time of the evening on a Saturday.

We both ordered Margaritas and they were served to us right away. However, both my husband and I agreed they were the worst ones we had ever had. Tasted like the pre-mixed version you could buy in a liquor store. Just awful! My husband ordered the Chicken Chimi and I had a Chicken Enchilada Verde and Tamale. My husband said his Chimi qualified as "edible" but nothing like he remembered and my meal was comparable to something you would get from a fast food joint. Nothing was fresh, barely hot and smothered with so much cheese I had to scrape all of it off just to reveal a glob of sloppy refried beans and some very dry rice.

While living in Red Wing, we would frequent Fiesta Mexicana at least 3-4 times per month. Sadly, the quality of this place has went so far down-hill that we won't be back the next time we are in town. The only reason I gave this a "poor" rating instead of a "terrible" is because the service was super fast and friendly.

1  Thank CLBuller
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Ate with family and kids here while visiting Redwing. Service was fine, but a table of 5 gets the tiniest basket of chips I've ever seen! Constant refills - although there was a note on the menu that excessive requests for refills of chips and salsa would be charged! I can see why! Crazy.

Our table ordered three different meals: chimichangas, a chicken dish smothered in some kind of sauce and a shrimp-somthing dish. We left most of the meal on the plate - unable to distinguish on from another with the bland tastes. The shrimp were 'fishy' and tiny. It seems that some Mexican restaurants just find a way to make the dishes all the same - there's no effort to just show a bit of creativity and effort. If they did, they'd be so rewarded! Food needs to taste GOOD. We also celebrated a b'day but staff made no effort to make a fuss. SO - passing this one up from now on.

Been to Fiesta Mexicana? Share your experiences!