“Standard Motel 6. No problems.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 Minneapolis Airport-Mall Of America

Motel 6 Minneapolis Airport-Mall Of America
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Richfield
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Standard Motel 6. No problems.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I picked this one for convenience after a day in The Mall Of America. It’s one of those Motel 6s with internal access to the room requiring shuttling baggage along long corridors. I hate these. I asked for a first floor room [ground floor to UK people] but still had to negotiate steps. The room had zero view. Just a wall. The motel is adjacent to a freeway, which was not a problem for me.
There were no local amenities in the immediate vicinity to walk to for eating or to buy and take back, so either bring your own food or be prepared to drive. I have noted on the Motel 6 web site that there is supposed to be a restaurant nearby. Perhaps ask at the desk to point you in the right direction.
None of the above can be changed or can realistically be complained about. It is what it is.
On the plus side, the room was fine. Clean, no smells, no unwanted wildlife. No problem.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank MichaelE-England

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Seymour
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed here on a night that was -18F, -36F with wind chill. The heater kept my room comfortable all night, but it was hard to sleep with it kicking on what seemed like every 2-5 minutes. Wi-Fi is not free at most of the Motel 6's I have stayed at, and was not free here either. Overall, typical Motel 6 room, location, and cost. Not the cheapest place for a decent room in town, but far from the highest, and definitely the most national of the low-end, deep discount rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Merritt Island, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Gross rooms. Very basic and in need of a complete renovation! It smelled horrible. Blood spatter on the walls. Filthy comforter and I am 99% sure those sheets were not changed after the last guests. We used our own bedding out of our uhaul.

The carpet was icky, didn't want to take my shoes off.

The bathroom was terrible, so dirty. The toilet barely flushed and there was slime and mold around the shower head.

The TV was lame. An old 20" with about 10 lousy channels.

The WiFi is an extra $3 so you'd expect it to be fast. Unfortunately it was very slow and I had to keep resetting it. Very annoying.

Only one chair in a room that holds 4 people. It was just a cheap wooden one. The room was very uncomfortable and depressing. We couldn't wait to leave!!!!!

You can request a fridge and microwave, wish we had of known that when we booked online.

The motel isn't around anything but a very bad neighborhood. People wondering around outside. It was also hard to find, very annoying after a long drive through Minneapolis.

The only good thing is pets stay free. Although I would rather have paid a pet fee at a better motel. There are a few other choices nearby. I suggest you check on them before paying for this dump. We would have checked out after seeing this room, but it was so late and I was done driving for the day!!!

• Stayed September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

WOW! Let me start off by saying this "hotel" is a major dump! We made our reservations on line and have never been to MN so all we could do is hope for the best. After an 8 1/2 hour drive, we showed up around 11pm to check in. The first room they sent us to was located on sub-ground level. The hallway was NASTY and smelled. I walked in to do my inspection before lugging my stuff in and found the room dark and funky smelling. I turned on the lights and began my inspection. The first bed, I pulled back the comforter and then the sheets... the pad that is between the sheet and mattress was FULL of pubic hair and what looked like baby bed bugs although difficult to know for sure. Grossed out, I went back to the desk and requested another room. (it was late and we were exhausted and needed to sleep). Room #2 was on the 2nd floor, directly above the first room. I walked in, walked to the bed, pulled back the comforter to find HUGE blood stains on the sheets!!!!!!!!!!!! I immediately went back to the desk and they offered a third room for us. (When traveling with dogs after nearly 9 hours, looking for a hotel that would accept them, in a town we've never been, at nearly midnight---well....we hoped #3 would be the charm). I walked into #3 walked to the bed and found the one bed to be in decent shape so we stayed that night. HOWEVER, the next morning when we woke up and the room was filled with sunlight....well.... I got to look closer and found the 2nd bed, which we didn't sleep on thankfully, also had blood stains on the sheets and the comforter. The room had NO amenities, and the bathroom was pretty dirty. I went downstairs to talk with the manager (who was supposed to call me first thing but never bothered to). He was rude and arrogant. He was trying to make me feel like I was insane for wanting a clean room! He offered to refund my entire stay (we prepaid for the entire weekend) and when I asked him where we could go, he though I was trying to get "more than a refund" from him. He's right.. I was looking for some customer service!!! I asked him if he even checked the rooms we saw last night and he said no. Nice manager... A good manager would've inspected them the minute he got my message from last night (and I know he got my message because the girl working with him knew exactly who I was and what happened to us). I called the 800 number and they arranged my refund. We got the hell out of there and never looked back. Now that's just the rooms itself. Let me also explain that there were men coming in with hookers and there were hookers standing outside the hotel on the main road waiting for the next business man to drive by, my guess. And not long after my husband came back from walking the dogs, there was a knock at our door. Out of the peep hole, I saw no one--the dogs barked like crazy so I went in the hall to find a "hooker-looking" woman standing to the side of our door. She said the dogs had scared her. I asked her what she wanted and she quickly stammered "umm... do you have a lighter I can borrow?" I said no and walked back in our room. We are convinced she saw my husband coming back and had he opened the door, she would've propositioned him. This place is disgraceful. I've stayed at many, many Motel 6's all over the USA (they allow pets for free with no restrictions and we always travel with our big dogs). This place should lose it's name because it brings shame to the brand. And that manager needs to be fired. How dare he make me feel like less of a person because I feel I should get a clean room... what a frickin concept!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank GasolineGypsy
Motel6, Owner at Motel 6 Minneapolis Airport-Mall Of America, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Gasolinegypsy,
We sincerely apologize for the unsatisfactory service, cleanliness and maintenance issues you encountered during your recent stay. These issues are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. Please kindly contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Celje
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Extremely friendly and helpful staff!
We had a reservation and were checked in in two minutes.
They provided a baby crib for our infant.
The hotel is 5 minutes from Mall of America, 10 minutes from the airport.
The rooms are big enough, it was clean and comfortable.
Free parking, wifi is $3.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

I stay in hotels 250+ times yearly. This hotel building and grounds are clean and well maintained. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The lady at the front desk was exceptional. Great cheap hotel by the airport.

• Stayed July 2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

My room smelled like urine and the air conditioner was so loud. I asked to change rooms and the manager Don yelled at me and told me to get out. I filed a formal complaint with Motel 6 about him and checked into a different hotel. This was the worst experience ever!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Minneapolis Airport-Mall Of America, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Dear judicat36 - We apologize for the odor and service issues you encountered with us. Thank you for contacting our guest relations department to report your service experience; we take your feedback very seriously and will take it into account as we work to improve our guests’ experience with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richfield
Hyatt Regency Bloomington-Minneapolis
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#36 of 43 in Bloomington
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America
Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America
TownePlace Suites Minneapolis Mall of America
Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis - St. Paul Airport

Been to Motel 6 Minneapolis Airport-Mall Of America? Share your experiences!